Menu

Chunky or Regular?

redgal

Regular, but short. DD has better control with crayon-length writing implements. So, I cut her Ticonderogas in two and buy Crayola Pip Squeak markers, etc. Also, keeps her from poking herself in the eye and flipping her pencils onto the floor as much.

ETA: Actually, we use these. So, regular-sized, but triangle-shaped. DD has never had a problem holding a pencil, though. I have a problem with buying things that are a little bit different. Don't like status quo. LOL!

41SSDbuCG4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by pitterpatter

I second the shorter length as well when teaching grip I use these http://www.amazon.com/Cadoozles-Mechanical-Pencil-Assorted-Barrels/dp/B001BZB5HU/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1344950782&sr=1-3&keywords=Zebra+Pen+Cadoozles+Mechanical+Pencil

they are usually on sale at staples this time of year. I got my pack for 4$ and still haven't run out. I just slide the grip onto them and we are good to go!

I second the shorter length as well when teaching grip I use these http://www.amazon.com/Cadoozles-Mechanical-Pencil-Assorted-Barrels/dp/B001BZB5HU/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1344950782&sr=1-3&keywords=Zebra+Pen+Cadoozles+Mechanical+Pencil

they are usually on sale at staples this time of year. I got my pack for 4$ and still haven't run out. I just slide the grip onto them and we are good to go!

These look great! I also like to use shorter ones for young kids. It makes less for their little hands to control. I'm gonna have to make a stop at Staples this weekend...I think it's our tax free weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Hadn't seen these. Thanks for posting...might give them a try.

We are using golf pencils with erasers, as suggested in HWT. Mine also have grippers (either crossover or stetro, depending on kid). I agree with HWT that a shorter pencil fits better in a smaller hand. Oh, and regular crayons. I have never liked fat crayons.

Regular, but short. DD has better control with crayon-length writing implements. So, I cut her Ticonderogas in two and buy Crayola Pip Squeak markers, etc. Also, keeps her from poking herself in the eye and flipping her pencils onto the floor as much.

That's a great idea - I'll probably be doing this!

We are using golf pencils with erasers, as suggested in HWT. Mine also have grippers (either crossover or stetro, depending on kid). I agree with HWT that a shorter pencil fits better in a smaller hand. Oh, and regular crayons. I have never liked fat crayons.

Oh that's a great idea too - going to hunt down some golfy friends ;)

For some reason I thought this was going to be a fat vs. skinny thread. :D

Or a call to vote on your preferred type of peanut butter.

We used regular diameter pencils, shortened, and the Pip-Squeak markers. DD never really liked the chunky pencils or crayons.