Menu

Online harder to find modern foreign language...

My dc are growing up bilingual, Spanish/English. They also begin Latin in 3rd grade, but I have told them they could each choose one other modern language to study for middle/high school. Of coarse, the languages that are easiest to find aren't even on their radars.

The list of interest includes, German, Russian, Italian, and Portuguese. As I do not speak any of these languages, I would like to find an online option. I know OSU has German, so is there anything similar for the other language?

Also, we cannot do cc because the first year they would be too young, and we will be traveling over the next few years. Online would be best.

:bigear:

Thanks.

Danielle

Edited by USDGAL

Goethe Institute also has courses for German.

Here is the BBC site http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/

There are some languages on PBS. For example the Georgia Public Broadcasting has a very good video Japanese course.

With most of these I'd suggest adding a grammar workbook and doing flash cards to cement the new grammar and vocabulary. Quizlet is a nice tool for flash cards.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Here's some Russian resources, this site has a huge number of links.

We're also using this website (we just started, but the audio is nice, other than that no opinion yet) http://russianforeveryone.com/

We are using Irasshai, the PBS program, for Japanese. They have a text and workbook to go with the program, which I would recommend.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should clarify that the list is for two different boys. One is really interested in German, but willing to do Portuguese. He is a real History buff and loves to learn anything and everything about WWII, Nazi Germany,Hitler, etc. This is why he is interested. I am not sure how useful this would be to him in the future, so we are discussing and researching. He is willing to do Portuguese because his step grandmother is from Brazil, and he likely figured it would be practical given our years living in Latin America, and the fact that I wouldn't have to find someone for him to practice with. This boy seems likely to major in History, Political Science, or something along those lines in the future.e has also expressed a strong interest in joining the military. I guess any language would be beneficial in this case.

Ds2 is interested in Russian. He is very interested in cold war history, and Stalin. Italian, and maybe even French (if I can't arrange for his first choices) would be acceptable. This child is not as much as a history buff as my first, though. He is strongly art and sport oriented. I can imagine him studying something Art related, maybe even culinary school.

I know you can only plan ahead so much, but I would like to steer them towards something that will more likely be useful to them. KWIM

I know, I over plan. ;)

Thanks.

Danielle

Here's some Russian resources, this site has a huge number of links.

We're also using this website (we just started, but the audio is nice, other than that no opinion yet) http://russianforeveryone.com/

We are using Irasshai, the PBS program, for Japanese. They have a text and workbook to go with the program, which I would recommend.

Thank you for the great links!

I know the Potter School has many online languages- German, Chinese and Arabic to say a few, and their are kids from all over the world taking them, so your children will find others in different aspects of travel.

We have a friend whose son is in the arabic and loves it!

k

I know the Potter School has many online languages- German, Chinese and Arabic to say a few, and their are kids from all over the world taking them, so your children will find others in different aspects of travel.

We have a friend whose son is in the arabic and loves it!

k

Thanks.