Menu

Do u sign up your kids for extras, sports, dance, etc?

We do A LOT. I don't think you *have* to but my kids want to.

DD14- Youth Group, Figure Skating, Key Club, Science Olympiad, Anime Club, Choir, Flute & Piano Lessons/Recitals

DD11 (nearly 12)- Youth Group, Volleyball, Cheerleading, Dance, Gymnastics, Clarinet Lessons/Recitals

DS8- Robotics, Boy Scouts, Soccer, Karate, Baseball and Guitar Lessons

DD6- Gymnastics, Girl Scouts, Ballet, Softball, Piano Lessons/Recitals

DS4- PT/OT, Tumbling, Soccer

Also have co-op, Play Groups and Homeschooling group activities.

We are BUSY. Whenever someone makes a comment about socialization, I point out all the activities my kids do. :lol:

Yes, but this year we did not sign up our 6yo and 9yo for dance classes like we have in the past. Oldest dd will continue, but we realized that particularly in 2 or 3 years dance would become unmanageable (time AND money) for our family and it's just not that important to us. Better to end it now. I haven't been able to face those two with the truth yet. :( The drive to dance is 15-20 minutes, 3 times per week for my oldest dd's classes.

Other activities (mostly the older 2) are youth symphony, community orchestra, piano and bass lessons, concert band, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, and American Heritage Girls. It takes 45 minutes to get to the orchestra rehearsals, but piano lessons and scouting are 5 minutes away. The bass teacher comes to our house :). I noticed a HUGE difference in our gas bill over the summer! I used to have to fill up our 12 passenger vehicle 3 times per month (35 gallon tank), and during the summer only once a month. NOT looking forward to the high gas budget this fall.

Edited by Susan in TN

I've signed my oldest up for dance and soccer this year. She's only four, but is autistic. Last year she was in a developmental preschool where they did her therapies, but she was also gone for 8 hours a day. I felt like the only thing she was getting out of it was the social interaction she needs. So I took her out and signed her up for nearly daily activities. We also do playdates and Sunday school regularly.

So besides her 7 hours of therapy a week, she's in a minimum of 5 hours worth of classes or group play per week as well.

We decided early on that we wanted the kids to pursue ONE sport (at a time) and ONE musical instrument. We let them try different things during the elementary years and settle on something to stick with through jr. high and high school, the idea being to develop proficiency that would be both marketable and enjoyable for them.

We did make an exception and let the girls add theatre now and then (3 months at a stretch)—they both loved it.

And they have always been very involved at church—working with toddlers, helping with VBS, leading music for various age groups (all are musical), youth group activities. My older two have also done a lot of volunteer community service in inner-city Los Angeles: distributing food, playing with kids in the park, etc.

DH was adamant that we eat dinner together as a family each night, and I'm glad he was. We have so many fun memories of being at the table together, playing word games, reciting funny poems, sharing stories and jokes, and just "bonding" as a family. We still eat together several nights a week, but with 2 adult children, it's hard to be "adamant" about anything now. :lol:

Anyway, the pace of two official activities each worked well for us in that regard.

I agree with what others have said: that it's not usually necessary to have extra-curriculars, but it can be beneficial. It's just so easy to get sucked into a frenetic lifestyle (especially in metropolitan areas where opportunities abound), which doesn't benefit the kids, the parents, or the family as a unit. I encourage young families to proceed with caution!

We do quite a few activities. Quiet evenings at home are nice, this is just not our season for them. ;)

That's pretty much how I see it. :)

My high school jr. volunteers at the library several times and month and has a huge commitment with speech and debate. She is also applying for volunteer work at our local children's hospital and for a paying job.

My almost 7 year old swims in a developmental program that feeds into a swim team. He swims up to 5 days per week. Practice starts next week for the fall soccer season as well.

They could certainly live without these things but they are definitely benefiting from them.:)

I wish I could remember where I read it, but I remember an article where the author pointed out that while there are many things kids can be involved in that are good, you need to decide not just what is *good* but what is *best* when it comes to your time. The example she gave was your neighbor getting all her kids ready to go to pee wee tennis or whatever while you are making dinner together and feeling bad b/c your kids aren't doing tennis lessons.

She points out that while the tennis lessons may be good they are not necessarily the best use of time, when compared to the value of eating together as a family. I try to remember this point when signing them up for stuff and ask myself if the activity would be replacing something of higher value-like free time, time as a family, lazy time on weekends, etc.

Our general rule is two per child.

DD 11-riding lessons and pottery

DS9- tennis and archery (to be replaced with swimming)

DS7-rock climbing and archery (to be replaced with swimming)

DD4-gymnastics and swimming

Everyone-weekly homeschool group

I am always tempted to do more, but for now this is crazy enough!

I absolutely encourage my kids to do extra curriculars. My 5 year old does ballet and gymnastics and the older two take guitar and attend a youth group. We also do a tutorial once a week. I would love to have quiet evenings at home, but that time will come.

My older 2 are involved in a few things. Monday nights through the school year we have kids bible program, skating once a week with the hs group from sept-march, 4 weeks of daily swim lessons in the summer. They will both be starting piano this fall once a week, which I'm hoping to schedule during the day because I am just too tired in the evenings. My oldest will be staring karate within the next year or so, likely on Saturday mornings. But they are not involved in any sports teams so we don't have those obligations filling our calendar. My youngest is only 3, in the future he will be doing the things his siblings do likely in a couple years, he already goes to bible program on Monday nights with us and weekly hs skating. Between the weekly outings, errands, dentist, doctor, field trips and social outings, I feel we are so busy, but it's necessary...:)

I wish I could remember where I read it, but I remember an article where the author pointed out that while there are many things kids can be involved in that are good, you need to decide not just what is *good* but what is *best* when it comes to your time. The example she gave was your neighbor getting all her kids ready to go to pee wee tennis or whatever while you are making dinner together and feeling bad b/c your kids aren't doing tennis lessons.

She points out that while the tennis lessons may be good they are not necessarily the best use of time, when compared to the value of eating together as a family. I try to remember this point when signing them up for stuff and ask myself if the activity would be replacing something of higher value-like free time, time as a family, lazy time on weekends, etc.

DH was adamant that we eat dinner together as a family each night, and I'm glad he was. We have so many fun memories of being at the table together, playing word games, reciting funny poems, sharing stories and jokes, and just "bonding" as a family. We still eat together several nights a week, but with 2 adult children, it's hard to be "adamant" about anything now. :lol:

I agree with what others have said: that it's not usually necessary to have extra-curriculars, but it can be beneficial. It's just so easy to get sucked into a frenetic lifestyle (especially in metropolitan areas where opportunities abound), which doesn't benefit the kids, the parents, or the family as a unit. I encourage young families to proceed with caution!

I agree many times figuring out what is "best" is my hardest task. I think extra curricular are nice but I do not view them as necessary. If we become so caught up in doing that we stop being as a family then I fear the long term repercussions. I firmly believe the best thing I do for my kids is invest in my relationship with their father and keep our marriage strong. The next thing I feel I must give them is a belonging and sense of family. In the military we move a lot so many times we are all each other has. We work to cultivate those relationships. Dinner times are so very important...I think bringing up boys talks about how just 3 sit down dinners a week (can be in restaurant) is a huge deterrent for kids getting into trouble.

I have found the times we are most busy my kids love tank (five love languages) does not get filled and we pay for it with attitudes. Plus, I miss out on having the opportuinity to talk with them about things that really matter. I feel preparing my kids for life is my greatest task....the reality of life is we cannot always do what we want to do. We need to do what is best for the whole family. If we sacrifice family for activities then what will we have in the long range....I do not want to raise kids that are too busy to visit us with my grandchildren.....LOL ;) totally selfish on my part I know.

As I work, believe me it is hard work, to keep hectic out of our life I beleive I am teaching my children how to make hard decisions as well.