Menu

A History of US by Hakim for 8th grade. Have a few questions please.

carlyincali

I am thinking about purchasing the whole set for my 13yo, 8th gr., daughter, (and up in coming kids.) I would like to know how many of the books we would/could go through in a school year's time if we did it 5days a week?

Also, are there questions at the end of the chapters, tests, etc? Is there a study guide or lesson plan to follow?

Could it be something she can read on her own or is something I have to do with her?

I already have the History of US miniseries on DVD, do these correlate w/the books?

Thanks in advance :)

She could read it on her own and just discuss it with you, if you use one of the following:

Hewitt Homeschooling has a one-year syllabus with tests, very affordable.

If you want a deluxe, open-and-go version of a one-year program for all the volumes, Sonlight Core 100 does it, with corresponding literature. Some people use this for high school, but in my opinion it's a great fit for one last sweep through US history in 8th grade before tackling more age-appropriate books at the rhetoric level.

I have my rising 7th grader scheduled to read five books this year and five next year.

I am also using Blackline Masters, Teaching Guides and Tests I have from when I homeschooled my oldest. The BM are out of print, and though they are very nice, so I would not advise trying to buy them all. The tests are very simplistic. I really like the Teaching Guides. They are full of discussion questions, map work and such. The bulk of my son's work will be answering discussion questions with me, keeping a timeline, completing the tests in the Teaching Guides, and writing some short essay responses.

If you bought anything to accompany the books, I would recommend the Teaching Guides. Matching up editions can be tricky. Ours don't match perfectly, but it hasn't been a problem.

We have the Hewitt Syllabus that does it in one year' date=' BUT!!! We are spreading it over 2 years. I just really think there is so much information in the books that slowing them down will allow greater retaining. But it seriously could be done in one year, esp if you have a history lover.

I totally reccomend the Hewitt Syllabus, it has a test for each book plus a long list of project ideas. We also bought the Map Trek maps to go with it (they even have a listing that lines up their maps perfectly with the books ;) ).[/quote']

:iagree:

Odd because my teaching guides Have no reproducibles except tests. Almost all of it involves discussion questions and essay questions that I consider quite beneficial and challenging. They do a fabulous job of connecting history.

The black line masters, most of which I bought cheap, while are worksheets also include political cartoon interpretation and such.

I'll post a couple samples.

The Hewitt sounds great, though, but I'm not sure it was around when I purchased my items. I plan to look into the maps.

I wanted to chime in on the Teaching Guides... I have a few' date=' and also a few sets of Blackline Masters.

Totally not a fan... mostly because they are very much written to a classroom, they are very workbook/fill in the blank like, and well they are crazy expensive, even used. You are looking at at least $10 for each guide used times 10 books.. ouch!

I really like the ideas in the Hewitt Syllabus, I like that I can leave it up to my son to pick an activity that appeals to him... he is more likely to put effort into it then. It was way cheaper as well... I think I paid $8ppd used.[/quote']

The first two samples are from a Teaching Guide while the last three are Blackline Masters. I will say I think the masters are over-priced (thank goodness I bought many of mine cheap ;) )

Nestof3, where did you get yours? Or what company are they from? Do you have links?

Thanks,

The guides I have and blacklines as well are the 5th grade edition (they came with my books when I bought them used).

Really they are ok' date=' but for the price of them to buy more, it's really just not worth it for me. I also don't have a ton of time to put into discussions with my oldest (who really doesn't want to talk to me anyway :001_huh:), I have 3 younger kids who are still learning the basics of reading and writing and math, who benefit more from my time (and still think it's pretty cool to do school with mom).[/quote']

Yes, I think part of the confusing bit for so much of it is the fact that the series has been designed for different school systems. I do know there are CA guides because I bought one to see what it's like.

This is the one I sampled (because it was $2.14 with Prime Shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195223039/ref=wms_ohs_product

This must be what you have.

For my teaching guides, I went through the five books we will use this year and jotted down which questions I want him to discuss with me and which ones he will write small essays for. It's a bit of work, but since I already have so much to accompany the books, I prefer to just use what I have.

I do like the idea of using Map Trek with it.

Nestof3, where did you get yours? Or what company are they from? Do you have links?

Thanks,

Oh goodness, it was years ago. I think I bought some of my first from Social Studies School Services (their catalogs are to drool over!).

http://www.socialstudies.com/c/product.html?nocache@3+s@n6RWT319ZVZHo+record@SS125633+s@n6RWT319ZVZHo

Some came from Ebay and some from Amazon.

Honestly, without a great deal, it sounds like the Hewitt would be a better route to take. I really like the Hakim series (she used my local library for research :D), and I like having stuff to supplement with.

Our library has the audio CDs as well -- at least they did the last time I checked. They are out-of-print and almost impossible to lay hands on, so I did a naughty thing. I burned them to my computer and plan to destroy the files when we are finished using them. OOP items disappear from our library at an alarming rate, and I didn't want to risk not being able to listen to them.

Edited by nestof3

Oh goodness, it was years ago. I think I bought some of my first from Social Studies School Services (their catalogs are to drool over!).

http://www.socialstudies.com/c/product.html?nocache@5+s@1B.dYqS4c0pPM+record@SS125633+s@1B.dYqS4c0pPM

Some came from Ebay and some from Amazon.

Honestly, without a great deal, it sounds like the Hewitt would be a better route to take. I really like the Hakim series (she used my local library for research :D), and I like having stuff to supplement with.

Our library has the audio CDs as well -- at least they did the last time I checked. They are out-of-print and almost impossible to lay hands on, so I did a naughty thing. I burned them to my computer and plan to destroy the files when we are finished using them. OOP items disappear from our library at an alarming rate, and I didn't want to risk not being able to listen to them.

Audible has all the audios for download:)

http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_pg__1?advsearchKeywords=a+history+of+us

i read 2 chapters a day to my boys (except on days we have activities, adjusted etc) and bring in some documentaries, chester comix, other books, etc . . . i was shocked we only got through the first 4 books! i guess I did a LOT about the revolution and the founding documents, though

Isn't this series for 5-6th grade history? I know K12 uses it then so I just assumed...

I have read all the books, and I don't think it is. I think it's best, though, to let your child's understanding of the matter dictate whether he or she is comfortable with it. The reading level is not difficult, but if the whole series is used, it's a lot of information and a lot to think about.

What are the History of US miniseries on DVD--did not know there was such and it sounds like it might be helpful? And is the right Map Trek set what would come with a complete set of Map Trek in 2 CD's or one hardcover book and 1 CD--or something else?

I'm not sure about the CDs or the hardcover book' date=' but the download e-books do have the correct US maps for sure. You can also buy just the US set on their site for $20 for the download.

The miniseries that was spoke of, I believe is the one from History Channel, you can watch them on Netflix or you can buy then on Amazon I'm sure. It actually was offered free when it first came out, we got it but I will admit I still have not even opened it, and have no clue how it might or might not relate to the books. (I do not think it was meant to go with the books, I don't think it was based on the books, but I may be wrong??)[/quote']

This website has correlation with the books:

http://www.socialstudies.com/c/product.html?nocache@3+s@n6RWT319ZVZHo+record@TF35094+s@n6RWT319ZVZHo

Plus, there are teacher guides here:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/