Menu

Rehearsal dinner -- who is invited?

I always thought that they typically included the wedding party, the immediate family of the bride and groom (whether or not they are members of the wedding party), as well as any out-of-town guests who will be in town that evening. However, for my BIL's wedding this week, MIL is not inviting the bride's sister, so maybe I'm wrong on that.

Ok, so maybe a DUH! question, but what constitutes immediate family? Siblings? Aunts, uncles, cousins? Nephews, nieces?

Spouses, parents and grandparents, children and grand children, brothers and sisters, mother in law and father in law, brothers in law and sisters in law, daughters in law and sons in law.

I always thought that they typically included the wedding party, the immediate family of the bride and groom (whether or not they are members of the wedding party), as well as any out-of-town guests who will be in town that evening.

:iagree: This is the rule that all the weddings I have gone to in the last 12 years except one followed.

That being said, I don't think there is an actual rule. It can be just the wedding party, the wedding party plus immediate family, or the wedding party, immediate family and out of town guest.

FYI yes this means that at a number of weddings I attend everyone is at both the rehearsal dinner and the wedding the next day.

A group of friends is catering dd's and it will be a bit big even though the bridal party is not. This is due to the fact that her fiance's family will be here from out of state and we live in a rural area in which there is not a sit-down restaurant for 20 miles. Now, all of the ones that don't need to rehearse could be told to hit fast-food, but since we'd like a chance to get to know each other better, his mom agreed that they'd like to pay for a bigger rehearsal meal so that everyone can stay together. We'll use the church fellowship hall since the reception is not going to be there.

I think that some rehearsal dinners are kept very limited. However, it is very nice to accomodate the family members that have driven a long distane so that every one can visit that evening. The next day is sooooo hectic.

Therefore, since we want to have something casual, it's been decided that it will be a nice taco bar.

Faith

They often will include out of town guests. The hosts (your parents) obviously get to decide who they want to add and pay for.

:iagree:

When we got married (this was 11 years ago and the first wedding I was involved in to any extent) I assumed it would just be those of us in the wedding party, but my FIL invited their out of town family. I was a little miffed at first (mainly about them being at the rehearsal - the dinner not such a big deal) but I got over it. :)

I thought that the rehearsal dinner was only for members of the wedding party and their plus ones, the bride & groom, and parents. Am I wrong?

My parents are hosting the dinner for my brother (the groom), and I have been told that I, dh, and kids are supposed to come to the rehearsal dinner even though none of us are in the wedding. :confused:

What says the Hive?

Are you out of town guests? Every wedding I've ever been to included all out of town guests in the rehearsal dinner.

Ok, wait. So invites to the DINNER = invites to the REHEARSAL itself ? :confused:

I've never seen that..... I've been to a lot of out of town weddings. I was only in one of them. I was always invited to the rehearsal dinner, not the actual rehearsal.

I've now been to a few and the more people, the more difficult it is to get anything done. I mean, I get wanting to see the out of towners and be more welcoming to them, but even when the scheduling is supposed to be staggered (rehearsal with a few, followed by dinner with more) it doesn't work out that way (at least not the times I saw) and the whole thing can run way too late with lots of guests if it's the night before the wedding.

I went to a wedding on Dh's side of the family (without dh; he was out of the country) as a favor to my FIL. His step-daughter was the bride. I had to travel 600 miles w/ 3 kids, including a nursing infant. I traveled with my FIL and the Mother of the Bride. We had to be there 4 days early to "help"

We were told that the rehearsal dinner was in a fancy restaurant, no kids, so we were not invited. No problem. Until I discovered that everyone else from out of town and their kids, including infants, were invited, just not me & mine. And no, my kids are not badly behaved.

I wasn't too sorry to have missed it until I heard how awful the bride's own children were behaved, including the 5yo who smashed several glasses when he was told there were no chicken nuggets to be had and the 2yo who bit the waiter. I would have like to have seen that.

Amber in SJ

At weddings I've been to, it's usually done two different ways. If it is a more formal dinner with servers, then it's just the wedding party plus siblings and parents of the bride and groom, and maybe a favorite aunt. :)

If it's a more casual gathering, then out-of-town guests and the extended family is invited as well.

It's the decision of whomever has the wallet. Since it is usually the mother of the groom throwing the party, then it is totally her decision. If the bride and groom are paying for it, then the guest list can be their decision.

Being the mother of a groom, the only parts I really got a say so in was the rehearsal dinner and the honeymoon since I was paying for both. And while I invited out of town guests, immediate family, and the wedding party with spouses/kids, I did not allow some of the bride's requests, i.e. friends. At $200 a plate and a guest list of over 80, extras were not allowed.

I totally went overboard. I would not recommend a rehearsal dinner with that many people, nor with the ridiculous costs. In retrospect, I would recommend a more intimate barbecue, a trip to Chuck-E-Cheese, or something relaxed and fun. Only the people who make the bride and groom laugh at loud should be invited.

:)