Menu

What are your thoughts on Joel Osteen?

I generally avoided him because he's "fluffy" and I grew up with (and was very burned by) the "Word of Faith" movement. He seems to be somewhat WoF. Maybe not as intensely as what I grew up with.

OTOH, it seems one could do worse than to listen to him at home on TV or read one of his books. I'm reading one of his books and, while I don't think it's a well-written, earth-shattering example of brilliance, I can't say I mind reading some positive thoughts.

So - what do you think of Joel?

(Other than that weird turning globe on his stage. What is up with that? It's just bizarre! :tongue_smilie:)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched some of his sermons, and they all sound the same. He knows "a man" that had faith, and something wonderful happens to him. He reads one scripture verse, and smiles greatly. :) And the spinning globe always makes me think of Superman. I don't care for him very much.

Guest Xapis10

His teaching seems to be about making people feel good. But for good Bible teaching, there is much better out there! Lately I have tired of all the "latest and greatest" books that go wildly popular. When in doubt, I think we can always stick to the Bible!

(Sorry to hear about your experience with WoF - glad you were able to get away from that though! I would agree that Joel has very many similarities with WoF)

I think he is a great motivational speaker. Sometimes, when I'm beaten down by all of the sourpusses in my world, I NEED a little joy and hope.

I wouldn;t get 100% of my spiritual nourishment from him... but I think he fills a need in many lives.

This might be what it does for me. Like Tony Robbins without the firewalk. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not a fan now that I've gone further into my walk with Christ. In the beginning, I read one of his books and it was helpful. Now, I prefer nitty-gritty, thought-provoking approaches to theology and a deeper walk. He's too fluffy for me now.

Ha! dh and I were just joking about this yesterday morning. I am not a morning person AT ALL!!!! I have a really hard time getting up early for church. Dh has discovered if he leaves the alarm on (it is set to radio) then right when I need to get up Joel Olsteen comes on. Works every time. I get annoyed and get out of bed. :glare:

I hate it that my dh knows me so well!!!! He just chuckles and laughs at me. :D

Guest Xapis10

I read somewhere (I think from Miles J. Stanford) that there is guilt that is not helpful (where you just despair, thinking about yourself), and then there's the conviction of the Holy Spirit, which points us to Christ and ends up being a good thing in every way. A teacher probably shouldn't make you feel like you are a super person (since no-one is, apart from Christ), but he doesn't have to make you focus on your wrongs to make you miserable simply for misery sake. The Bible/Spirit makes you understand your utter sinfulness, while pointing you to Christ, Who is the answer to it all. That might not be the world's definition of "motivation" and "positive thinking," but truth brings true peace. No wallowing in misery, and no bandaids of false "self-esteem."

I'm not a fan now that I've gone further into my walk with Christ. In the beginning, I read one of his books and it was helpful. Now, I prefer nitty-gritty, thought-provoking approaches to theology and a deeper walk. He's too fluffy for me now.

:iagree: I prefer meat. My biggest problem with teachers like Osteen is that their teachings are useless to people who are suffering. I've had people tell me that if they obey God and do the right things and pray hard enough that their children won't get sick. What happens to their faith if their child does get sick or even die? Kids get cancer, kids go blind. It isn't because you didn't "claim" health for them or didn't believe hard enough. Christians all over the world are suffering. It certainly isn't because they aren't holy enough. :(

And if this is my best life now, UGH! :lol:

:iagree: I prefer meat. My biggest problem with teachers like Osteen is that their teachings are useless to people who are suffering. I've had people tell me that if they obey God and do the right things and pray hard enough that their children won't get sick. What happens to their faith if their child does get sick or even die? Kids get cancer, kids go blind. It isn't because you didn't "claim" health for them or didn't believe hard enough. Christians all over the world are suffering. It certainly isn't because they aren't holy enough. :(

:iagree: Nicely said.

Well, that's what I mean when I said I was burned by WoF teaching growing up. But it is sort of inspiring to hear positive talk now and then.

There is a ton of better stuff to read. So even if he isn't that bad, why spend the time?

Brain candy. :lurk5:

Agree with the others who said he teaches a fluffy prosperity gospel. I think he is a likeable guy and that he is sincere, but I believe he is sincerely deceived. I find the WoF movement to be a very dangerous false doctrine.

I try to think of him as rarely as possible.

He seems so phony and he gives me the creeps. :ack2:

DH always refres to him as "the guy who has more plastic parts than a Ken doll."

I can't buy into the whole "prosperity doctrine" or prosperity gospel or whatever it's called.

He's so greasy he makes my skin crawl.

:iagree:

Agree with the others who said he teaches a fluffy prosperity gospel. I think he is a likeable guy and that he is sincere, but I believe he is sincerely deceived. I find the WoF movement to be a very dangerous false doctrine.

Well, that's what I mean when I said I was burned by WoF teaching growing up. But it is sort of inspiring to hear positive talk now and then.

Brain candy. :lurk5:

There's nothing wrong with brain candy, but I think there are better options there as well. I usually go for Agatha Christie or Alexander McCall-Smith.

:ack2:Well, you asked for opinions. I think he's in it for the money and he's a great motivational speaker. Eternal dam*ation is a very large stick to wave at people when you ask for money. He lives in a gated community and preaches "prosperity," of course. Well, he and those like him make me want to hurl...:ack2:

:ack2:Well, you asked for opinions. I think he's in it for the money and he's a great motivational speaker. Eternal dam*ation is a very large stick to wave at people when you ask for money. He lives in a gated community and preaches "prosperity," of course. Well, he and those like him make me want to hurl...:ack2:

I think that's the one stick he doesn't wave. He doesn't even like using the word "sin" from what I remember of an interview with him.

I think that's the one stick he doesn't wave. He doesn't even like using the word "sin" from what I remember of an interview with him.

I agree, but people feel compelled to give because of that large stick. Even if he hasn't waved it directly, he's prospered heavily from it.

I try to think of him as rarely as possible.

He seems so phony and he gives me the creeps. :ack2:

I think he's a wolf.

Ear tickler :bigear:

Dangerous false teacher.

All of the above.

I will take a little different approach. I listened to him once talk about how he grew up in a hell fire and brimstone preacher household and all he heard was how God was out to get the sinner, beat the hell out you so to speak.

He has gone too far the other way to show God's love, but I think he has a reason that he feels the way he does. I "get" that to a certain degree. My parents are quite Fundie in their thinking.

His brother, who also works at the church, is a surgeon. He has worked with my Dad in Kenya and now takes almost yearly trips for months at a time to volunteer, for free, his skills as a surgeon. He is funded through his brother's church.

His church may not be my cup of tea, but there are some good things coming out of his ministry.

And BTW: He no longer draws a salary from his church, his money comes solely through his books and book sales. And yes, it is a LOT of money.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

Then I suppose he would draw a salary, just like most pastors.

Not all pastors draw salaries. LDS don't. I'm just saying, I think he would still support his gated-community lifestyle, even without the book royalties... but like I said, I'm probably cynical.

I don't know anything about the LDS. Most Protestant pastors do.

I am not saying I agree with his lifestyle at all. I just know we are friends with his brother and their family. If I lived in TX I would not attend his church.

Dawn

Not all pastors draw salaries. LDS don't. I'm just saying, I think he would still support his gated-community lifestyle, even without the book royalties... but like I said, I'm probably cynical.

He's not my cup of tea. Scripture isn't all sunshine and rainbows and I don't care for preaching or teaching that paints it in that light.

On a more personal level, and I admit this is unfair, I don't trust people who smile constantly and are thoroughly pleasant all the time. I prefer authenticity. It feels like a facade.

I don't know anything about the LDS. Most Protestant pastors do.

I am not saying I agree with his lifestyle at all. I just know we are friends with his brother and their family. If I lived in TX I would not attend his church.

Dawn

Fair enough. :)

He's not my cup of tea. Scripture isn't all sunshine and rainbows and I don't care for preaching or teaching that paints it in that light.

On a more personal level, and I admit this is unfair, I don't trust people who smile constantly and are thoroughly pleasant all the time. I prefer authenticity. It feels like a facade.

I like what Paul Washer has to say about him- Well, he doesn't mention his name directly but you can be sure of what he is talking about when he says "your best life now."

I think the message that Joel Osteen preaches is very deceptive and yes, I would call him a wolf. My sister went to Joseph Prince's mega church in Singapore for the year that she was there and he is the same deal as Joel Osteen.

There is a reason why these prosperity churches are so huge at this time when it is clear that "people will not endure sound doctrine."

I agree with this.

His church may not be my cup of tea, but there are some good things coming out of his ministry.

And BTW: He no longer draws a salary from his church, his money comes solely through his books and book sales. And yes, it is a LOT of money.

Dawn

Rick Warren doesn't pull a salary either, from what I hear.

It seems like Rick Warren and Joel Osteen have many similarities.