Menu

What kind of dog are we looking for?

Boxer!!! :)

Right Breed for You?

One of the breed’s most notable characteristics is its desire for human affection, especially from children. They are patient and spirited with children, but also protective, making them a popular choice for families. The Boxer requires little grooming, but needs daily exercise.

From http://www.akc.org/breeds/boxer/

That's a tough list. Many sweet dogs don't always tolerate a dog in their territory after they are established and many large dogs that you want to be intimidating won't. Also if you want protection, keeping it outside in a run is pointless. All dogs shed, but many large ones do even more so (there is more hair there).

A lab or chesapeake bay retriever is about your best bet or maybe a standard poode, but the poodle may have a hard time in the winter...but both needs regular exercise, will bark, will chew (especially as puppies) and do shed (the lab/retrievers). The labs/retrievers tolerate the outdoors well. A fan in the summer and kiddie pool to cool off in is nice and a doghouse with insulation, door flap to keep the wind out, and deep bedding of cedarchips or straw helps with the winters.

Boxers are a good choice, but need lots of exercise and training (I always say a tired well trained dog is a good dog). Oh and won't tolerate the winters outside unless they have a good house. They also like to be with their peeps, lol.

We have a female Dane and she's sweet, has a big bark, but is sweet. They definitely need to be in the house in the winter or in a well insulated doghouse as they don't grow a winter coat. They prefer though to be inside with their family.

We also have shepherds and one tolerates other animals and is so sweet, one will kill just about anything that comes in the backyard. Both shed like maniacs...:tongue_smilie: but I love them.

Edited by CountryGirl2

Then I would definitely say a boxer sounds good for you. They don't tolerate extreme temperatures too well. Ours are indoors but they love being staked in the front yard on mild spring/fall days.

They love to run run run around and they are amazing with kids. Plus, they are hilarious dogs. I laugh at mine at least once a day.

Wolfhound!

All the boxers I've known have been cat eaters.

We have 2 cats and 2 resident boxers. We also foster Boxers for a rescue. I've only had 1 foster that had to be kept away from my kitties. The rest were fine with proper introductions. One of our cats is a 'runner' and she runs and darts around. That prompts the dogs to chase and then things get tricky. Our other cat is really chill and doesn't run. We have zero problems with him and any dogs we bring in. One quick clawed swipe in the face and the dog learns his/her lesson. ;)

I think it depends on the boxer and the cat. But I would think that would be the same for any dog. Some dogs are just no good with cats, regardless of the breed.

Edited by MiniBlondes

Wolfhound!

All the boxers I've known have been cat eaters.

I've only known 1 to hate cats, but he was rescued like that.

Wolfhounds are neat, but shed...and their coats are a little thin...they are sitehounds so that might not work for cats...

Also they are an aquired taste; they look a but like a giant scruffy Benji, :tongue_smilie: I personally like them. They are a shorter lived breed with 7-8 years the normal.

They are awesome family dogs. Need a smart, dog-dominant personality to train, but grow into the most awesome family dogs. No shedding, though grooming needed. Very intelligent, very thinking. Cute as adults. Bred originally as guards and to hunt bears and mountain lions. They are fearless and awesome with children.

I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that meets almost all your needs.

She adores her kids.

She loves love cold weather. In the summer we just hose her down or let her splash in water.

She barely sheds and what hair that sheds is really not a lot or a big mess

She is not a big barker (except for joggers, bike riders and motorcycles and people at the front door)

She is large enough (80 pounds) and dark brown that people seem somewhat afraid of her

She is reserved towards strangers but if she likes you, she really likes you. :001_smile:

Ours is 18 months old and while she has settled down a lot she is still very much a bouncy dog. We take her to the dog park several times a week so she can exhaust herself and try to take her on at least 1 extra long walk everyday.

My second choice would be a German Shepherd because they are my favorite dog ever and I think they are just perfect. :D

Right Breed for You?

One of the breed’s most notable characteristics is its desire for human affection, especially from children. They are patient and spirited with children, but also protective, making them a popular choice for families. The Boxer requires little grooming, but needs daily exercise.

:iagree: repeatedly

I'd recommend a collie. We're on our second one, and they are truly awesome dogs. Friendly, intelligent, adaptable, fantastic with kids! I think it meets all of your requirements except for low grooming. In my case, I paid a groomer once to show me how to properly brush a collie. I spend only about 10-15 minutes every second or third day on brushing the dog to keep things up.

HTH!

Maybe Vizsla, or lab, or Weimeriner? I don't know anything about Boxers....

I have a standard poodle, and although I think she would meet a lot of your criterion, she is not low maintenance grooming wise. The trade off? She does not shed...which is a must have for me. She also does not have that awful doggy odor that perfumes so many homes of people who have other breeds ;) . A friend of mine has two Vizslas. They are so beautiful, and are not stinky, and do not shed very much. Those are big plusses in my book. They are very active dogs though....more so than a standard poodle, I think.

Right Breed for You?

:iagree:

Any kind of retriever... Lab, Golden, Chesapeake... all good choices. They're terrific dogs.

We have a standard poodle, and while yes, the grooming isn't low maintenance... they are smart and loving like crazy!! Ours barks some but not yappy... he just likes to let us know when anything is anywhere near the house! He also loves kids and other dogs. Great personality.

Good luck finding the right fit!!

Any kind of retriever... Lab, Golden, Chesapeake... all good choices. They're terrific dogs.

We have a standard poodle, and while yes, the grooming isn't low maintenance... they are smart and loving like crazy!! Ours barks some but not yappy... he just likes to let us know when anything is anywhere near the house! He also loves kids and other dogs. Great personality.

Good luck finding the right fit!!

:iagree: And, if you did want to consider the Standard, you can keep them in a very short utility clip, and learn to do it yourself. That's what I'm going to do :) .