Menu

Swim team swim suit dilemma

My ds is balking at joining the rec league swim team because he doesn't want to wear the jammer style swim suit. He's good at swimming and I think he would do well. I think he is very self conscious about it. He also won't wear biking shorts without other shorts on top of them. Can't do that with the jammers...

Any been there, done that tips? Or other advice? Are jammers really that bad?

Thanks!

They do make a special suit to wear over the actual bathing suit for boys. They are called drag suits (as Jan recommended!). Wearing a regular swim suit for practice and competition really isn't a good idea. Too much rubbing will make him raw, not to mention that all that drag would make practice really difficult. The boys wear the drag suit for coverage of personal areas, not to actually create drag. He would be expected to take it off before he races. My guess is that if you can get him into jammers for a few practices he will get over it. They really are NOT all that bad. Way more comfortable than a regular boy's suit!

My ds is balking at joining the rec league swim team because he doesn't want to wear the jammer style swim suit. He's good at swimming and I think he would do well. I think he is very self conscious about it. He also won't wear biking shorts without other shorts on top of them. Can't do that with the jammers...

Any been there, done that tips? Or other advice? Are jammers really that bad?

Thanks!

My boys don't seem to mind. I agree that he could have a pair of regular swim trunks to pull over them when he is out of the water before and after practice or races. He may decide it just isn't that big of a deal after a while.

Is he required to wear the team suit in rec league. Our rec does not require anyone wear the team suit or a competition suit for that matter. Most people get the team suit. Of the remaining who don't a few boys have a basic competition suit. However, there are a few boys every year who prefer the shorts type suits that boys wear playing at the pool and beach. Usually they wear it for a season or part of a season and switch to the competition type suit because 1) not wearing a competition suit actually causes more attention and 2) they realize competition suits have less drag and want to get faster.

If there is an option to not wear a competition suit, I wouldn't make him wear one. If he continues more than one season, he will likely decide to get one on his own.

If there is an option to not wear a competition suit, I wouldn't make him wear one. If he continues more than one season, he will likely decide to get one on his own.

Good point; I will ask the coach if it's absolutely required. Thanks everyone! I think you all are right; he'll probably see it's no big deal because everyone is wearing one, especially if he can wear his basketball shorts over them when he's not in the water. I'll also see what they say about drag suits--I've never heard of those before. So much to learn!

My son would have been glad to have been able to start with a jammer rather than a tiny brief! Unfortunately they weren't given that option, but he DID get over it very quickly when he saw all the other boys were wearing them.

The boys on my son's teams wore drag suits all the time at practice, as did my daughters who swam. They would wear them OVER their Speedo briefs or girls' racers. They really were for drag thoughs. They didn't order a specially made drag suit, they would just wear old baggy suits (often so old they were ripped) on top of their racing suits, which caused a drag when they practiced. At the meets, they weren't allowed to wear the drag suits of course, but they felt lighter in the water without them.