Menu

MCT Level 1 materials for more than one child?

verymom

Hello everyone,

I think I am mostly decided on MCT level 1 for my 10 year old and 8 year old this fall. I've previewed the materials on the website, but I'm a bit confused. I'm still waiting for my forum membership over there to be approved by a moderator, so I thought I'd pop in here and ask. First post after lurking for the past 5 years. :)

If I buy the basic homeschool package, will I need more than one Practice Island Student Workbook? Or can they both work from one using copies or notebooks?

Is there any reason to buy the Complete package with everything? And if so, which things would I need two of for both boys?

I did the Island level with 2 and used only the TMs. While I actually also bought 1 PI wb (after reading advice here), I didn't end up using it. Instead, I just read aloud the sentence and had the kids analyze it together. For the next level I'm planning on buying TMs only and continuing the read aloud method.

If you wanted to have them work on the sentences individually, I see no problem with buying only 1 PI wb. They could write the sentences down in their own notebooks and then analyze them. Alternatively, you could put the wb in a workbook window or a sheet protector and have them analyze the sentence with dry/wet erase markers.

My son was much older when i started using MCT, but handwriting was always difficult for him, so having to write a sentence down on a separate piece of paper was a struggle for him. If your kids are comfortable with dictation, certainly you could do it that way - but the practice books are fairly inexpensive, arent they? Ok, not cheaper than 2 notebooks, but not bank-breaking.

Oh, so on GWG, do you recommend the manuals and answer keys and everything or just the workbooks?

I purchased everything with GWG. We're about halfway through level 3 (having done the previous levels as well) and so far I've never had to consult the answer key. Also, my ODD (despite my instructions) rarely looks at the manual :( When she misses something, however, I do make her go back and actually read the manual lesson. While I love GWG/WWW (these get done while I'm at work and require pretty much no teacher intervention besides grading), it's things like that which spur me on to use multiple grammar programs.