Menu

Help! Math after Right Start E? LOF, SM, Key to???

mirabillis

I've seen many, many past posts about this and have scoured through them all.

I am wondering if any of these posts that are so old, if those moms have come through Right Start Geometry + supplements with tales to tell... what has worked well or not. Perhaps anyone can shed some light on this!

About our situation:

We've used RS A-E and been very pleased! My son is math-oriented and takes to it easily. Math is his favorite subject with RS. We're now in a conundrum as we approach RS G, which is meant to be supplemented anyway with the overlooked material in RS (percents, decimals, fractions, word problems). I'm debating whether to do one of the below first, and then move onto RS Geometry in 6th or work concurrently? So I'm wondering what alternate choices you guys have made?

Options we're thinking:

1. Singapore Math 5A/5B (plus maybe SM Word Problems)

2. Key to Fractions, Decimals, Percents, etc

3. LOF Fractions, Decimals, Percents

Anyone have experience with these??? Help!

Thanks!!!!

• 6 months later...

I've seen many, many past posts about this and have scoured through them all.

I am wondering if any of these posts that are so old, if those moms have come through Right Start Geometry + supplements with tales to tell... what has worked well or not. Perhaps anyone can shed some light on this!

About our situation:

We've used RS A-E and been very pleased! My son is math-oriented and takes to it easily. Math is his favorite subject with RS. We're now in a conundrum as we approach RS G, which is meant to be supplemented anyway with the overlooked material in RS (percents, decimals, fractions, word problems). I'm debating whether to do one of the below first, and then move onto RS Geometry in 6th or work concurrently? So I'm wondering what alternate choices you guys have made?

Options we're thinking:

1. Singapore Math 5A/5B (plus maybe SM Word Problems)

2. Key to Fractions, Decimals, Percents, etc

3. LOF Fractions, Decimals, Percents

Anyone have experience with these??? Help!

Thanks!!!!

My oldest is finishing RS E next month, and I plan on moving her to Singapore 5A/5B. A lot of 5A looks like review, so I expect it to move pretty quickly. The only topics 5A covers that weren't covered in RS seem be ratios and dividing with fractions. I don't see any coverage of decimals or percents in 5A. I don't have 5B materials yet, so maybe those topics are addressed in 5B. We've added in Singapore's CWP since RS C, so we will continue doing that too.

Unlike most others, I have been satisfied with RS's coverage of percents, decimals, and fractions (along with CWP problems with those topics). Singapore 5A looks to provide further practice in fractions and a new challenge in the non-RS lesson presentation, formatting, language, etc.

It's entirely possible I was one of those ancient answers, but I'll reiterate and add to what I've said before.

When older dd finished E the RightStart Geometry course was just out of beta, I think .... I *DO* remember that we got loose leaf pages to put in a big binder because they weren't all published yet, so they just kept sending them to us as we went along. ANYWAY, by the time she was finished with the Geometry she really, really really needed a review of percents, fractions, and decimals; we got the Key to ... Series to accomplish that.

She said she felt a problem with the RightStart Geometry was the lack of practice for things like fractions, decimals, percents.

After that she went straight into Algebra. By the way, she felt she had an easy time with high school level geometry (we used Jacob's) due to RightStart.

When dd2 finished E she started RightStart Geometry right away, but she also worked on the Key to Series -- she simply flipped back and forth. She never really finished the RightStart, although she came close -- she really struggled with it, and heaven knows the entire thing was falling apart by then. She did finish all of the Key to ... Series. From there she's started Lial's Pre-algebra. It will be interesting to see how she does with high school level geometry.

I would also love to hear back from all of you. My daughter is more than half way through D and I'll be completing the series with her including G. We'll be adding Singapore's CWP soon.

Thank you Jennifer & Gail for showing what the RS journey looks(ed) like in your home!

Well, my dd only used RS A - C and then we switched to CLE. This year, she's doing RS G 2 days a week and CLE 3 days a week. In our case, I would definitely not work just on RS G without using another program alongside it. My plan is to have her start Saxon 1/2 or 8/7 (depending on how she places on Saxon's placement test) in the fall and then keep working on RS G 1-2 days a week until it's done.

I do have a friend who used RS without supplementing all the way through. When she began RS G, she had her kids do TT pre-algebra at the same time. Then, they went on to either AOPS Pre-algebra or AOPS algebra. She has two kids and may have moved the older one straight into algebra and the younger into pre-algebra because of varying math abilities.

Thank you, ladies!

We've completed levels A-D and are currently in Level E - just completed lesson 77 today. I've attempted to supplement RS at various times in the past with Singapore, Math Mammoth (Light Blue Series), and Calculadders. However, I realize - with hindsight - that supplementing those earlier levels wasn't necessary. We've been happy with RightStart and it's results thus far.

Moving forward... I believe we'll need to use a supplement alongside RS Geometry next year, before I introduce and combine it with a Prealgebra program - most likely AoPS. I've almost decided on the Key to Series. The sets (Fractions, Decimals, Percents, etc.) are sitting in my shop cart, waiting for final approval. Any last thoughts before I push the button?

Well, I haven't completely decided on the Key to Series yet. It's still in the cart, but I'm contemplating the Math Mammoth Blue series. I just don't know which to pick, so I'm off to compare samples again.

ETA: We (buddyboy and I) have decided to go with Math Mammoth. This thread helped me to decide, and buddyboy concurred after viewing the samples with me. :thumbup1:

Update 05/30/2013: Staying the course with RightStart and their recommendations. We'll begin Geometry in the fall along with VideoText Algebra - after lesson 80-ish of RS G - for a two year course.

• 3 months later...

I'm here with an update.... because I'm back for more research on my continued Math studies!

So we finished RS E 4th grade. Wondered what to do, what to do for 5th grade. Here's what we did:

We jumped ship to Singapore 4B/5A (based on assessment testing) and found the curriculum to be a good fit after RS - yet we learned a lot of new things. Lots of word problems and new methods to think that way. Lots of fractions and decimals too. Also ratios, which were new (easy but new). We also supplemented with Key to Fractions. We had LoF Fractions, which my son enjoyed - but it was too flimsy a curriculum for my taste.

So fast forward, 5th grade is done.

Now onto 6th grade. I have RS G and I'm glad we've waited. The drawing stuff was never his favorite. And I'm trying to figure out what to do. I plan to continue with Singapore 5B, but wonder if I can speed through this a bit. Then would like to probably begin RS G for 6th grade, and go slowly, as I understand it can take 2 years (that's 6th & 7th) and work alongside another more arithmetic curriculum. Whether that's Singapore 6A/B or AoPs, I have lots of options. Even VideoText as RS recommends. I'm still undecided. But will start with Singapore 5B with the plan to maybe begin RS G midway through the year perhaps?

Feeling good about my choices though, as my son just completed a modified STAR testing (from previously released questions) for 5th grade. And on the math portion, he got 2 wrong - one b/c we hadn't covered it. So all in all, we've made some great math choices!

We were in the same boat last year after RS E (my DS finished in 4th grade). I felt he needed some more work with fractions, so we did the entire Key to Fractions

series over the summer. I ordered Singapore 5A & 5B for the start of 5th grade. My DS, HATED Singapore, I thought it would be an easy transition from RS, but not for him.

Sooo, I scrambled and ordered MM 5. It has been a good fit for him. He did that with LoF Fractions and is now finishing up LoF percents. We will do the Key to series for Percents and Decimals over the summer then we are going to jump in Pre-Algebra. I bought MM 6 on sale, just in case.