Menu

Talk to me about your Keurig

Is it really more expensive than brewing your own coffee?

Do you like it as much as a regular coffee pot?

Would you buy one again? I've noticed that there are a couple of kinds available. Which one's the best IYHO?

Edited by athomemom
added more questions

Yes, but since I'm only a 1 cup/day'er, it is a nice convenience. Mine came with a make-your-own K-cup. I figured when I run out of k-cups, I'll use that with my favorite beans. Dh just got me a couple of boxes of k-cups for my b-day so I'm full up for now. We also plan on buying k-cups from Costco which would cut the cost also. It still won't be as cheap as brewing a pot...

I love mine, and as it's around 2 yo or so, I worry it'll die on me and leave me hanging.

I use it for coffee with my own grounds in either the myKcup or the ekobrew. I prefer the ekobrew cup, which is easier to use and leaves less cleanup to deal with. Using any of the reusable cups makes it a much better deal than the pre-filled kcups, which are $$$ even online. I highly recommend anyone with a keurig get a reusable cup for regular usage, and save the prefilled ones for super-short-on-time days and special occasions, unless the cost really isn't an issue.

For me, the keurig is a great deal. As I'm the only regular coffee drinker in the house, but I can only handle one or two cups a day max, even making a small pot of coffee means I would regularly waste at least some. And to me, reheated coffee = :ack2:.

I also use my keurig for hot water for tea, overnight steel-cut oats (in small thermos jars), cocoa and cappucino mixes, "instant" oatmeal, and the occasional "broth" (hot water + bouillon cube) when I'm feeling sickly.

I like having coffee, but never made it when I had to use grounds. We got the Kureg and I use it almost every day now. I also am a 1 cup of day gal. You can also get the K cups at Bed,Bath and Beyond and use the 20% off coupon. I just tried the Donut Shoppe Coconut flavor this morning (not being a strong Coconut lover), and it's been really good (although I add in flavored creamer). I love how easy the Kureg is too when having people over-no multiple pots of regular and decaf being made...so easy!! (plus my kid's can now make my coffee for me-bonus :)!!!)

We've thought about getting one, but we just can't decide if we'd like it or not. Do you recommend one model over another?

We got the one from Costco, and it came with a bunch of k-cups. Also, if you like a coffee that's not as strong, I've heard the breakfast blends are better. I am not really a coffee expert, so I can't give a great opinion on regularly brewed coffee over the Kerug (I know I keep spelling this wrong, I'm just being lazy on looking up the correct way :) ). So for someone like me, it works :001_smile:.

We got the one from Costco, and it came with a bunch of k-cups. Also, if you like a coffee that's not as strong, I've heard the breakfast blends are better. I am not really a coffee expert, so I can't give a great opinion on regularly brewed coffee over the Kerug (I know I keep spelling this wrong, I'm just being lazy on looking up the correct way :) ). So for someone like me, it works :001_smile:.

We also got the Costco one. It is much quieter than the regular base model and has more size options. We still haven't used all of the k-cups it came with. It was nice to have some ideas of different types of coffee. I'm not an expert either.

Yes, it's more expensive.

No, it doesn't taste as good as brewed coffee.

No, I'd never buy one again - everybody I've known who has one has had problems with it. Really it's too expensive an appliance to have that many mechanical problems. I have several friends & family who had to replace after a year.

I love mine.

It is more expensive per cup, BUT I only drink two cups a day and it is fresh. I used to make a larger pot and end up reheating my cup of coffee. Now I get two fresh cups a day or one or three. :) My youngest dd can make me perfect cups of coffee which is really nice. I'm pretty thrifty, but I love a good cup of coffee. I don't snack or eat desserts or chips or so many other things. Coffee is my major food vice, and I enjoy it. I have one that holds a big reservoir of water so I don't have to fill it up all the time.

Yes, it's more expensive.

No, it doesn't taste as good as brewed coffee.

No, I'd never buy one again - everybody I've known who has one has had problems with it. Really it's too expensive an appliance to have that many mechanical problems. I have several friends & family who had to replace after a year.

If you call them they send you a new one without issue. Mine was trouble free for 2 years.

For me I feel like the reusable brew cup makes it worth it. When I use a pot I end up throwing out a whole bunch every day.

I had mine for 3 years and parts started falling off it. I decided to go back to a drip coffee maker and I'm happy. It is cheaper for me to brew it this way, because I drink a lot of coffee. It's also easier because I set it to brew one time instead of multiple times like I did with the Keurig.

To save money I tried several different make your own K-cup options. Some worked better than others, but they were all a pain to clean out and refill. And in the end, it probably came out even because those are not cheap and you still need to buy coffee.

I heard they will be coming out with generic cups soon, so I may go back at some point if those are cheap enough. For now, I'm happy with my drip coffee maker.

Yes, it is more expensive. However, we buy our coffee in bulk online and it makes it cheaper.

Yes, I like it MUCH more than a regular coffee pot. The convenience and speed is worth it for me. DH and I can each have a hot, fresh cup of coffee in under 3 minutes from the time we wake up and we don't leave any just sitting there in a pot getting yucky.

Ours is over 2 years old and we have NEVER had a problem with it. We've descaled it once. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!!!

I think how much you like the Keurig depends on what kind of coffee drinker you are. If you like very pure, expertly brewed coffee or drink a pot or two a day, then it might not be for you. I can't really tell the difference between a cup of Keurig brewed and a cup of french press, so it doesn't really matter to me. And I only drink a cup a day or 3 at the most (in the winter when it's cold).

Love my Keurig!

It is more expensive if you use kcups, but since I only normally drink 1 maybe 2 cups a day it is worth it. I tend to get my kcups at khols when they are on sale and I have a 30% off. If not I do Bed Bath and Beyond with their $5 or 20% off coupons.

Now if you use the my kcup you can you whatever ground coffee you want to use, thus making it quite affordable.

As for the flavor I think it really depends on the type of kcup you use. I have found some of them to be awful and others I like just as well as my fresh ground coffee. It is all a matter of taste.

We have the platinum edition. I really like the fact that I can make a travel size mug and I only refill it 1 or 2 times a week. The only issue we have had is the insert getting plugged up, so we take it out and clean it with a paper clip and we are all set. My Mom had one that did die in less than a year (it was used a ton between my Mom, my sister and her 2 girls) but Keurig replaced it with out any issue and their new one has worked just fine.

No coffee connoisseurs here, but I love it. Another one cup a day gal. I also use the reusable k-cup. I think it's an ecobrew one. With the reusable cup, it isn't more expensive. But when me and 2 dds were having a cup or two a day - yikes! Would I buy another one? Yep.