Menu

My Yahoo mail acct. was hacked :(

I signed into my Yahoo mail acct. this morning to find a string of failure notices for e-mails that were sent from my acct. There were just a few in my sent box that looked like they went out. This has never happened to me before.

I went to the FAQ's and it just said to change the password on the acct., which I did. Is there any further action I need to take? This really creeps me out. :001_huh:

Were you able to change the password, or did whomever hacked your account already do that, so they could keep you from making your own changes?

I had my eBay and PayPal accounts hacked once, and it was incredibly creepy.

Be sure to change every single online password that you have, in case this isn't an isolated instance. (It probably is, but please don't take any chances.)

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Were you able to change the password, or did whomever hacked your account already do that, so they could keep you from making your own changes?

I had my eBay and PayPal accounts hacked once, and it was incredibly creepy.

Be sure to change every single online password that you have, in case this isn't an isolated instance. (It probably is, but please don't take any chances.)

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Yes, I was able to change the password. I did also change the password on my other e-mail acct.

Yes, I was able to change the password. I did also change the password on my other e-mail acct.

That's good news. :001_smile:

If you have other online accounts (banking, Amazon, eBay, PayPal, or any shopping site that has your credit card info on file,) be sure to change the passwords on those accounts as well.

Keep checking to see if Yahoo implements two-step authentication the way gmail and some others do. Nobody can then log in as you without a text message code from your cellphone if logging in from a different computer.

(You have to sign up for this service on gmail and it is kind of a pain on Apple devices, but works well on PC's. Apple products don't know how to do it yet, so they have to use a work around).

This has happened to me a couple times with Yahoo. It is one of the reasons I switched to gmail. I use my Yahoo addie for things like online newsletters etc.

Just change your password. Consider changing it every couple weeks.

I just had my first experience with hacking and it was on my gmail account :glare:.

I will give gmail security props. I received a notice that someone tried to log into my account from an "unexpected location", which ended up being Vietnam. They had stopped the login and alerted me to change my password. I also added the extra security number that has to be entered after the number and is changed every 60 or 90 days. They text it to your phone. Kinda cool.

You'll probably want to run a good anti-virus program first, then rechange everything again just to be safe. There are viruses that can log your keystrokes in order to steal your passwords, and if you have one of those, they'll just keep getting your passwords.