Menu

What homeschooling nuances have you found?

bethben

My kids did swim team this summer for the first time. On the first day, the coach went through the roll, and I watched each kid raise their hand and say "here" when their name was called. Except my kids. They looked right at the coach, but didn't say a word. "Camille Welfare? Is Camille here?" "She's right there - Camille, raise your hand honey." Camille looks totally confused but raises her hand. Repeat with Elise. Repeat AGAIN with James. And AGAIN with Meredith. Wouldn't you think they would have figured it out after watching the other kids???

I don't think I ever was told to "pack up" when I was in school, so I'm sure I didn't teach my dc to do that. :D

However, I did notice that homeschooled kids in general were like this :blink: when they did a large group field trip and were told by the docent to line up by grade level. "Line up"??? By "grade level"??? The first time that happened with one of my support group field trips, we practiced lining up by grade level at our next park day. :lol:

I was almost in tears reading this!

I realized a couple years ago that my youngest won't eat much for lunch unless it's a hot lunch. It's hard to come up with things he likes that I can pack if we're eating somewhere else, because he got so used to me cooking lunch at home.

Can you blame him?

Also, names of subjects. I have had people ask my kids if they liked science and they were like "What's science?":eek: until I said, "You know! Our botany book where we learn about plants is science" and they say "ohhh." :tongue_smilie: I also said this year we are starting a new English program and my 7 yr old said, "Why? We already know English" :lol: I guess I have always called it "Language Arts" or "Grammar." I really notice sometimes how something as simple as not having a habit of using certain words will mean your kids have no clue what it means.

One time my mom asked my son to tell her the time and his reply was. I'm on break from school. I was so embarassed.

How to receive hot lunch and how to open a milk carton!

Our public school does a summer meal program, and serves breakfast and lunch on weekdays, free for any children in the school district. While it's not a confusing concept for my kids (who did attend school for a few years before we started homeschooling), I was babysitting some friends of ours who have always homeschooled, and I brought them to school for lunch, and they were hilarious. They had no idea what to do with the lunch tray, how to interact with the ladies serving, and were completely baffled by the milk cartons.

Funny!

My Brother's kids go to school, and are very close in age.

The topic came up about a younger student surpassing an older one in some areas.

My boys could not grasp that a person should care what level someone was working at compared to them.

For my kids perspective it can only be good when someone is good at something. If someone is good at reading, writing, math... then that is something to take advantage of when playing a game. "Well X is good at writing so he can do all the writing we need on this new board game we are making..." or "Y is good at reading, you read the rules"

Doesn't matter to them one little bit who is older or younger. They can't grasp that some kids care about this.

That is a riot. I am struggling to get my kids UNfixated on what "grade" they are in. I keep telling them that now that we homeschool, grade levels make absolutely no sense. :lol:

I'm going with both of the above posts, in that I am trying to remove some of the limits/expectations that ps put on them. No more grades, hand raising, or worrying about what others are working on, or how they are doing. Work to the best of your abilities and be proud. No need for name and date on every.single.paper! No spending time on things I think were "time wasters," like saying the pledge, every single day or asking to go to the bathroom, LOL.

I did notice the twins don't know "criss cross applesauce/pretzel legs."

This thread is awesome! :lol:

So glad to know my dd is not the only 7 year old still struggling to tie shoes!

Lines, what lines? Homeschool group field trips are a riot. Everytime we are somewhere that asks them to line up, at least one kids says "but we're homeschooled!" :lol:

Oh and a particular field trip we had last year, the lady was overwhelmed by all the questions and all out engaged children. She couldn't get them to be "quiet" and stop asking questions or even to stop touching. She was rather frustrated by it. I was just sitting back laughing. I was so proud of the engaged children! :lol:

Prove it please. Everything I've ever found said it originated in the 1980s or 1990s as a cutesy little rhyme as a PC alternative to saying "Indian style."

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2010/10/modern-day-vocabularic-brainwashing.html

http://www.kgbanswers.com/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-of-criss-cross-applesauce/4028927

I can tell you KGB is a reliable source because they get paid to have reliable sources for info and if they dont provide a reliable source they dont get paid.

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2010/10/modern-day-vocabularic-brainwashing.html

http://www.kgbanswers.com/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-of-criss-cross-applesauce/4028927

I can tell you KGB is a reliable source because they get paid to have reliable sources for info and if they dont provide a reliable source they dont get paid.

I want proof that it is from an "old nursery rhyme." I remember that rhyme from school in the 1980s. I have no idea as to its origins, and can't find anything, but at any rate I do know that it had absolutely nothing to do with the way one was sitting.

I don't know what KGB you are referring to, but I thought this was funny when I thought it was THE KGB. :D

I don't know what KGB you are referring to, but I thought this was funny when I thought it was THE KGB. :D

:lol: I did too. I'm sick and woke up coughing in the middle of the night. That's when I was reading/posting and I was SO confused at first. I was pretty sure the KGb was NOT reliable!