Menu

Child with ulcerative colitis...anyone?

DD has been diagnosed with UC and has chronic liver disease as well. Does anyone have experience with managing with dietary changes? She had a flare up recently and they have perscribed her with some pretty heavy meds, but id rather her not take them due to the liver disease. Any ideas?

:grouphug:

I don't have a child with ulcerative colitis, but a member of my extended family has it and I have done some reading. Maybe one of these books will be at your library?

Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis

The last story in this list of testimonials (the man's name is Shaun, I believe, so you can search for it) is about colitis:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/success-stories/

The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin

HTH.

Maker's Diet helped me.

I now eat gluten free and all the bleeding has stopped. Too much sugar will start it up, so no juices, pop, etc for me. I can have the occasional sugary drink and I'm fine but not multiple daily, for sure.

NEVER aspartame and other fake sugars, it would hurt less to be stabbed.

I can use xylitol, raw sugar and raw honey occasionally and it doesn't cause me any problems. But that is occasionally.

Oh and never let her sip Earl grey tea, it's pure poison for UC.

I now eat gluten free and all the bleeding has stopped. Too much sugar will start it up, so no juices, pop, etc for me. I can have the occasional sugary drink and I'm fine but not multiple daily, for sure.

I was just going to ask if any genetic testing has been done for celiac's disease...

I don't have a child with it, but my DH has it. He tried the SCD diet for several months, but had a hard time sticking with. He now pays close attention to how he reacts when he eats certain foods. Overall he does avoid gluten and sugar. He is at the tail-end of a severe flare-up, hopefully. The cause of this one was a Z-Pac Rx for phnemonia. Double check meds that react with UC. There is a lot of info online, and support groups on FB. :grouphug: to your DC and you.

I was just going to ask if any genetic testing has been done for celiac's disease...

She had a negative test.

I wondered if going gluten free would help. I think I'm just overwhelmed with the thought of changing that much. Are there any good blogs or websites with help?