Menu

Serious profanity in book "Robopocalypse" on required reading list at school

Here's my thought on the f-bomb aspect and other things which could be disturbing for some children or parents.

If a movie has a certain number of f-bombs it gets an R rating. In fact there are criteria on a number of levels that determine whether a movie is G or PG or PG-13, etc. It may not be a perfect system, but it's a system. I don't rely on these ratings solely in my decision making in what to watch but I *am* thankful that these ratings are there - ratings that give society as a whole an expectation of content, language, etc.

Most people, not all, but most people have the common sense to keep youngsters from movies that "Hollywood" has warned may not be appropriate for them. I don't mean parents here. I mean teachers and caregivers, etc. I would never show a group of under 12's a PG-13 movie if they were not MY children unless I'd cleared it with every single last parent.

Why do books have to be different? If the teacher were filmed reading the book out loud to the class it would get an R rating. It should not be used with the under 17 set without explicit parental permission. period.

If that is censorship, that is crazy. I'm taking my cues from Hollywood of all places. Not a place that screams family values or even education for that matter. If they have the decency to rate their products. C'mon. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I want to know why the film industry and the publishing industry are held to different standards.

If there is a flaw in my logic, please somebody, show me the light. :001_smile:

The King's Speech - I wonder what is so special or corrupting about that third F-bomb that makes rating by checklist, regardless of context (ETA: or significance or artistic merit), appropriate.

How much "classic" literature would be considered R rated for violence, or incest or other mature themes? How much should we coddle kids?

Edited by nmoira

The King's Speech - I wonder what is so special or corrupting about that third F-bomb that makes rating by checklist, regardless of context (ETA: or significance or artistic merit), appropriate.

How much "classic" literature would be considered R rated for violence, or incest or other mature themes? How much should we coddle kids?

Personally, I think that just 1 f-bomb is enough for an R rating. I agree with you that it is silly to suggest that 1 is fine but 3 is too many.

How much should we coddle them? Well let's flip it, at what age do we want to introduce them to themes like incest, r@pe and others? What is the worst that can happen if we introduce them too early vs. too late? I'd prefer to err on the side of waiting. I understand that others wouldn't. I like Silliness's system because it is at least logical and would give teachers some guidance.

Personally, I think that just 1 f-bomb is enough for an R rating. I agree with you that it is silly to suggest that 1 is fine but 3 is too many.

How much should we coddle them? Well let's flip it, at what age do we want to introduce them to themes like incest, r@pe and others? What is the worst that can happen if we introduce them too early vs. too late? I'd prefer to err on the side of waiting. I understand that others wouldn't. I like Silliness's system because it is at least logical and would give teachers some guidance.

We studied To Kill a Mockingbird in 9th. Rape. And Romeo and Juliet. Suicide, disobedience, bawdy allusions. Hamlet (10th). Murder, incest, suicide, and that's just on the face of it. The list goes on. Bad things happen, not necessarily to each individual, but they do. I see no point in sheltering emerging adults from this reality. It need not be lurid, or gratuitous to have some real emotional impact, but glossing over the horror of such acts is likewise inappropriate.

We will have to agree to disagree entirely over the F-bomb issue. It's just a word and I can't get excited over it.

FWIW, when I was a youngster, few and far between were kids who hadn't read V. C. Andrews. :tongue_smilie: And I learned about sex from The Thorn Birds. :D

Edited by nmoira

FWIW, when I was a youngster, few and far between were kids who hadn't read V. C. Andrews. :tongue_smilie And I learned about sex from The Thorn Birds. :D

I remember being in my elementary/Jr. High school library listening to the librarians talk about not getting "Forever" by Judy Blume for the library.

I had already read Wifey. :lol: