Menu

Oh my Apples!!!! What to do w/ them? Canning options?

We have had a very warm spring which has meant a bumper crop of apples- the summer variety They are smaller and great for sauce, but after 16 quarts, plus apple butter, I need some more ideas. on how to use them up! :)

I'd like to try and do some spiced canned apples- similar to apple pie filling I guess, just slightly less mushy, less syrupy and with a lot more spices. I envision using it as apple pie filling, topping on ice cream and as a stand alone dessert. Has anyone canned anything like this before? Is that doable?

Any other ideas? (I don't want to dehydrate them- don't have a dehydrater anymore and we don't really like dried apples that much anyway)

THANKS!

Look for recipes for canned apple pie filling on the web. You will likely need to order some clear-jel though.

Make crock pot apple butter though. It is easy peasy.

Thanks for the clarification- I searched apple pie filling instead of spiced apples, and immediately found a highly rated recipe to try. :) I didn't know such a thing existed! :)

Yes, I've been using my crockpot for apple sauce and butter- its sooooo much easier than stovetop :)

Well I can about 50 quarts a year and very little is eaten as a bowl of applesauce (only when someone is sick). We eat applesauce on top of our pancakes but mostly I use it as a replacement for oil is baked goods (muffins, quick breads). So maybe if you can come up with more uses for applesauce, you can reasonably use more of the apples in applesauce.

Well I can about 50 quarts a year and very little is eaten as a bowl of applesauce (only when someone is sick). We eat applesauce on top of our pancakes but mostly I use it as a replacement for oil is baked goods (muffins, quick breads). So maybe if you can come up with more uses for applesauce, you can reasonably use more of the apples in applesauce.

Oh, I agree- I know I will end up making (and using) more applesauce that what I've already made....I use it for a replacement as well (we eat very little as just applesauce too- LOL) but I wanted to have some other options.

I'm getting more excited about the apple pie idea now that I know I didn't just make it up and have read some reviews on Allrecipes.com....:D I can think of a lot of uses (apple turnovers, pie, crisp, etc) and it will be a fun, appreciated Christmas gift as well- I just need to find some more jars :)