Menu

Longest lasting hair dye?

This was years ago, but I used a neon pink Manic Panic when I was 19 years old. I had long hair at the time, and thought it would be fun for a weekend or so.

It didn't wash out. Ever. A year later I finally went in for a hair cut and had the pink cut off. I didn't bleach or anything first, it just didn't wash out.

Now I've used the Splat on my kids, and with my DD hers seems to be lasting a while (neon blue) even without the bleaching. But it's obviously fading and I expect it won't last much more than another month or so.

Manic Panic always washes right out of Diamond's hair. We bleach it first- light yellow is as good as it gets on her.

Splat has held the longest, but even the purple has faded, but at least to a pretty pink. http://www.target.com/p/splat-hair-bleach-and-color-kit-lusty-lavender/-/A-13208098?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=|13208098&CPNG=health%20beauty&ci_sku=13208098&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Tips: wash your hair in the coolest water you can stand. Hot water opens the cuticle layer, allowing the color to wash out faster. Don't use harsh cleansing shampoos- or "extra body' shampoos- they also rough up the hair cuticle. Don't wash every day if you can go longer between shampoos.

Oh, and use old ratty towels- Splat stains EVERYTHING! Make sure your hair is completely dry before putting on your best shirt... it can stain that too... and sleeping with wet hair will result in a dyed spot on your pillowcase.

Have fun & post pics!

Thanks everyone. My mother (hairdresser) thinks the splat came out so quick because we were swimming a lot last summer.

I'm going to get a mixed box of splat and use red and blue for me, and cover the damaged bleach on dd with purple.

The water temp is good to know.

Now i just have to decide how i want to split the color.

Eta- i have a towel we tie-dyed to use up the rest of the dye last summer so i'll be sure to use that towel exclusively for my hair.