Menu

Apologia Physical Science for 6th grader

freeindeed

We joined a co-op for the first time this year, and my dd11 wants to take science. She is in 6th grade, so she falls into the middle school age group. They will be using Apologia Physical Science. I looked on the website and it's listed as 8th grade level & recommended to be taught the same year as pre-algebra. My dd11 will be doing Saxon 7/6 at home with me. I am just wondering if Apologia Physical Science will be too difficult for her, even with my help? Also, I intend for this to be her only science this year so that she & I will have plenty of time to work on it together at home as well as her working on it at co-op. So, do you all think she can handle it? Thanks!

My daughter will be 6th grade and will take Phys Science at our co-op. Any math concepts that are foreign to her that come up during the course of the year will be taught as we go. I am not going to stress her out over any math that is over her head. I'll explain it and demonstrate it, but if the math concept is just too over her her head, we'll keep moving on with the science.

And I think I may "know" you. I think we have a Facebook group in common and we'll be attending the same co-op.

Edited by dansamy

I think she will be fine. If you are willing to work with her on any harder concepts and any math that comes up. The math in PS is not outrageous! Mostly unit conversions I believe. What do you plan on doing for science in 7th and 8th? As long as you do not proceed from there (to give her math skills time to catch up) she should be fine!

I think she will be fine. If you are willing to work with her on any harder concepts and any math that comes up. The math in PS is not outrageous! Mostly unit conversions I believe. What do you plan on doing for science in 7th and 8th? As long as you do not proceed from there (to give her math skills time to catch up) she should be fine!

Thanks. I'm not sure what we'll do for 7th and 8th yet, but we won't move up higher in Apologia until 9th...maybe we'll go back and do Apologia General Science.