Menu

geography recommendations needed for

mom2Hh

2nd grade level Early American history. I just posted about Trail Guide to US Geog but after looking at the two sample pages again I'm not so sure...It seemed like the locations to find/label on a state map were somewhat random. I could of course make up my own places to find and label based on where we are in history but would be nice if a program was already done that way.

anyone have recommendations for a good geography program that would coincide will with American History?

I guess that depends on what you're doing for American History. But at that age (2nd grade) I would just focus on them learning the states. Learn the colonies if you want. Use a variety of different puzzles. Collect state coins. Read Scrambled States of America. Play some games like Great States Jr or Five State Rummy. Read Sea To Shining Sea. You could give out state coloring pages from a Dover coloring book and label the capitols and any important landmarks. Hang a huge state wall map and locate the places you're reading about. Bake a huge chocolate chip cookie in the shape of America and decorate it after it cools. A few activities like these will take you farther than a curriculum imho.

Thanks! Great ideas! I guess my problem is that I'm so disorganized and unstructured right now that I don't get anything done unless it's in a book/curriculum, etc. "someone else" suggesting I do it. Sounds pathetic probably but I'm just finding the time to sit down and actually plan out things like you suggested. I'd like to try though! But if there is a book out there with suggestions like that I'd love that too!

Have you looked at Confessions of a Homeschooler's US Geography? Each state is taught in historical context...so geography AND history are going hand in hand. Sounds perfect for what you are looking for and right age level, too!

This is what I was going to recommend. Cheap (assuming you can find related books at the library), easy, fun.