Menu

Sewing Machines

DD22 sews a lot - clothes mostly but some quilting/blankets as well.

She has a very basic machine right now and a new one is on her wish list for Christmas.

I am not a sewer. Anything past sewing a button is too much for me. ;)

I need to some help finding a good sewing machine (or two) that I can watch prices on to get her for Christmas. I have looked at reviews online on a few, but get lost. Too.many.options! I would like to spend between $150-200 and would like it to work well and hopefully last. Hopefully I am not asking too much. :lol:

Thanks, Hive!!

Sewing machines are very personal. If I were you, I would set a day near Christmas and take her to a nice machine repair shop that sells machines. They often have good deals on trade in/ old machines that people loved. They have been serviced and are good to go. You can get more bang for your buck with that at your price range. Avoid Singer as now they are all plastic pieces of junk. I have several Brothers and a Janome that I love.

I have no idea where you are in PA but the repair shop in the Poconos is very nice. Great service and the staff is friendly.

Brother has a pretty good name. I started on a very humble machine, and I now have the fancy bells and whistles. My very old and small Brother still works like a charm. I also have a very old Kenmore, but it does not sew as even a stitch.

You might check Costco. They often have online specials for them.

When I asked this question a couple years ago for myself, the answer I received was there are no good sewing machines in that price range. Everyone was right. I spent $350 on an Elna. Best money I ever spent. I can understand why you would want to spend less on your DD right now, so I like the other poster's suggestion to see if you can snag a deal on a good, used machine at a sewing repair shop.

You might watch at estate sales and such for an older machine. I am currently using my Grandma's old Singer, and also have purchased another old Singer and a White. They are very basic, but built very well and you can often find them well under $100. Another bonus is that you can often do repairs on them yourself - there is a lot of help online and tutorials walking you through stuff.

And they're totally darling looking!

I agree :) I saw another one recently and had to make myself *not* buy it - lol. Another nice feature is that they often come in nice cabinets that can be used as furniture (I've got one in the spare bedroom as a bedside table).

you can score a great deal on a used model though.

My 'cheapest' new machine was an Elna (very good solid machine) basic functions with button hole and cost just over $300 new--- it does not have the bells and whistles the 'electronic' machines have but it is a smooth-running work horse-- I use it for most of my machine quilting.

I also LOVE my Bernina (with embroidery attachment). I use this for my main sewing because it sews 'like butter' (so smooth....) I found mine 'used' for less than half of retail. You can easily find good deals on used Bernina machines.

Unfortunately many brands that were once known for quality machines that lasted FOREVER have sold out and are now made in China with cheap plastic parts... these are the 'Brother' and 'Singer' (and even Kenmore) machines you see in the department stores and at some fabric stores. These are not 'starter' machines-- these are DISPOSABLE machines!

Just make sure if you get an older one you can test the stitch. Sew two pieces of fabric together with a straight stitch and make sure the stitch is straight/even.

It would be a drag to have to pay for a pricey tune up, as that can get costly.

I own a Janome ... bought it new for around $500. But my dream machine is a Bernina. If you can find one used, I would buy it. My MIL has had her Bernina from when she got married 38 years ago, and it still runs like a dream. Someone suggested estate sales and sewing shops. Our old quilt store used to sell their classroom models for a great price.

Go used. You'll get a better machine than anything new you'd get in that price range. :001_smile:

I would avoid getting the really neat looking sets at Costco or Sam's Club type stores. Those stores often cut deals with manufacturers for specific models that you can't buy anywhere else. The short version of what that means is if you break something, the chances of having a replacement part available are slim to none.

I agree with the others that said shop for something used. Check with sewing machine stores; they may have some student models for sale for a song. With Christmas coming, you'll start seeing unbelievable deals at mass merchandisers. RUN AWAY from those! Those machines are cheap for a reason and your dd will not be happy with them.

I've owned a Viking, Pfaff, and now own a Bernina. IAll are wonderful machines and most dealers will have used ones for a good price. Older Singers are good, if they have the metal parts. The thing with the inexpensive machines today is that they're all plastic and won't last. I personally wasn't impressed with the Brother machines. They seemed clunky to me after using a Pfaff and Bernina. But, I know many like them.

I agree with the poster who suggested taking your dd out to try out different makes and models. See if dealers have last years' models they'd be willing to make a deal on. Don't be afraid to try to deal. You might walk out with a great bargain!

I would go for an OLDER machine because they tend to last longer and work better!

Newer machines are good, dont get me wrong, but they dont last as long and dont tend to work as well.

I have my grandmas machine from the 1950's. Its an Imperial/Singer. I just had it serviced at a machine repair shop for $100. It was oiled, cleaned, it did need a new electric cord and belt (but in defense it had never been used in 27yrs i have been here).

Here is a picture of it sitting on the table (it goes in the table but the hinges that swing it up from it broke and i havent taken them in to be fixed)

SAM_0639.jpg

and a close up

SAM_0641.jpg

My first choice is a Bernina, but I don't think you will find one for that price range. My second choice is a Janome. they work wonderfully and are reasonably priced. I purchased one for a steal from QVC during Christmastime once. It came with many attachments (I'm thinking around 9 different feet) including a walking foot which is used for quilting multiple layers together and case for less than $200. I purchase my dd a Hello Kitty Janome to learn on. It has a 3/4 motor speed so she can take it slow and get used to it, but can still sew through multiple layers of denim. That one was around $160 from Sears.

The little Janomes are good little machines, yes. I have this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERNINA-1130-/320956540871?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item4aba8027c7#ht_720wt_1413 that might be close to your price range. AWESOME machine for the money, and built like a TANK. As in drop in on concrete and it's gonna run. You'll get warranteed repairs when it's 20 years old. Awesome, awesome machine.

The little Janomes are good little machines, yes. I have this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BERNINA-1130-/320956540871?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item4aba8027c7#ht_720wt_1413 that might be close to your price range. AWESOME machine for the money, and built like a TANK. As in drop in on concrete and it's gonna run. You'll get warranteed repairs when it's 20 years old. Awesome, awesome machine.

Thank you for posting this. I'm reasonably happy with my cheap little Brother machine from WalMart, that I bought when my other machine quit, and I was in a time crunch. However, I've always intended to look for a good used machine, preferably ahead of when I'll need it. This one looks like a really good machine and gets plenty of good reviews, and that's a reasonable price. Guess I will put that on my wishlist. :)

Two quick questions -- one, how does it sew through elastic? And two, how about its buttonholes -- is the buttonhole feature easy to use, and how automatic (set the button in the foot and let it figure out how big to make the hole) is it?

I agree with those who are saying go old and all metal. I have 3 machines: a black metal Singr from the 50's, a metal Singer from the 70's and a 10 year old Kenmore. The kenmore lives at my mother's house because I prefer the 70's Singer (the black one doesn't have a zig-zag stitch). Your price range is perfect for a solid, reliable used machine.

The other great thing about older machines is that some are just gorgeous. Search Google Images for the Singer Rocketeer.

She has a very basic machine right now and a new one is on her wish list for Christmas.

I would like to spend between $150-200 and would like it to work well and hopefully last. Hopefully I am not asking too much. :lol:

Thanks, Hive!!

For that price range, you won't be able to get anything new that's any better than what she has now. Your only option is the used market.

I don't know where you live, but I second the vote for Pocono Sew and Vac - they have an excellent used machine selection. Steves in Valley Forge (near Philly) is another option for shopping used machines.

Another option is to give her "matching funds" that she could add to so she could get the machine that's right for her.

For that price range, you won't be able to get anything new that's any better than what she has now. Your only option is the used market.

I don't know where you live, but I second the vote for Pocono Sew and Vac - they have an excellent used machine selection. Steves in Valley Forge (near Philly) is another option for shopping used machines.

Another option is to give her "matching funds" that she could add to so she could get the machine that's right for her.

I am relatively close to the Poconos, so I will be going here to see what I can find. If there isn't anything, I like the idea of matching funds. Thanks!!:)

Yup, if you're willing to work with her (your funds plus hers), you're going to be more happy with a $400 used, older but really really good sewing machine than you are with a new $200 machine. I know someone who got a Pfaff on Craigslist for under $400. Just gotta see what you can find.

Yup, if you're willing to work with her (your funds plus hers), you're going to be more happy with a $400 used, older but really really good sewing machine than you are with a new $200 machine. I know someone who got a Pfaff on Craigslist for under $400. Just gotta see what you can find.

:iagree: Yes! Don't get a cheapo new machine, whatever you do.