Menu

Stupid question, but...when should you start a pre-algebra?

kailuamom

Is it 7th or 8th grade? All this Saxon double number talk and all these different programs offering different levels...I am confused!

Maybe I am just tired?? Or it is just a dumb question! :confused:

NOT a dumb question!

In fact, if someone would post a chart, and algorithm, a PLAN for math, I would rep them every day as much as possible! It's a mess in my brain, and I need a chart: title, level, pros/cons, what it follows, what it proceeds, etc.

The gauntlet has been thrown (or the carrot dangled, if someone wants my little bit o' rep!).

From what I've heard, you can start Algebra in either 8th or 9th grade. Saxon 8/7 has pre-algebra mixed in periodically. So if you're confident that your child "gets it" you can skip their Algebra 1/2 and go straight to Algebra in 8th grade. If you feel your child needs more time, you can do the Algebra 1/2 in 8th and then Algebra in 9th.

If he/she is strong in Math and you feel 6th grade went well and there are no weak areas- skip to Algebra 1/2 in 7th.

I think you can also work on 7th grade Math and then skip to Algebra in 8th.

You would need to look at whatever curriculum you would use and see where you were and what has been covered. Make sure by skipping you are not missing anything huge.

We did Abeka Math since K-5 and DD was actually bored this year in 6th, as we really thought there wasn't all that much new. So, I had her take the tests to determine grade level for Teaching Textbooks (our choice for next year) and it was an easy fit to Algebra 1/2 this year.

My son is not as strong in Math, so unless something changes I am not sure he will be able to do the same at her age.

Just my 2 cents. :)

NOT a dumb question!

In fact, if someone would post a chart, and algorithm, a PLAN for math, I would rep them every day as much as possible! It's a mess in my brain, and I need a chart: title, level, pros/cons, what it follows, what it proceeds, etc.

The gauntlet has been thrown (or the carrot dangled, if someone wants my little bit o' rep!).

On pages 523 - 526 there are possible sequences listed for Saxon, Abeka, MUS, and Singapore.

Got to put littles to bed or I would post more. I really need the rep :blush:....LOL!

California is now requiring that all 8th grade students take algebra by 2011. Following that time frame, a student would begin pre-algebra in 7th grade or even 6th grade.

As for Saxon the numbers, they refer to low/ high; for example, 76 means low 7th grade high 6th grade. But really grade level is truly not an accurate way to place a home school student in any subject. A 5th grader and a 7th grader could both be going through the same Saxon 76 text. Placement depends more on ability and understanding than it does on grade level.

Wildiris

My understanding is that if your child is college-bound, they should take algebra in 8th, geometry in 9th, and algebra 2 in 10th, to be well-prepared for the college boards.

This is the traditional sequence, although our local ps offers Algebra to the fast tracked kids in 7th grade.

My understanding is that if your child is college-bound, they should take algebra in 8th, geometry in 9th, and algebra 2 in 10th, to be well-prepared for the college boards.

I didn't take Algebra I until 9th grade and then Geometry in 10th and Algebra II in 11th. And I made it just fine to college! :tongue_smilie:

In fact, if someone would post a chart, and algorithm, a PLAN for math, I would rep them every day as much as possible! ... The gauntlet has been thrown (or the carrot dangled, ...).

Maybe this will help you:

BJUP's plan

5th Grade Math

6th Grade Math

7th Grade, Fundamentals of Math

8th Grade, Pre Algebra

9th Grade, Algebra 1

10th Grade, Geometry

11th Grade, Algebra 2 and/or Consumer's Math

12th Grade, Precalculus

MUS's plan (MUS doesn't go by grade, but this is his order. I put the grades in just for comparison.)

5th Grade, Epsilon (Fractions)

6th Grade, Zeta (Decimals and Percents)

7th Grade, Pre Algebra

8th Grade, Algebra 1

9th Grade Geometry

10th Grade Stewardship (not sure exactly where this should fall, but website says after Algebra 1)

11th Grade Algebra 2

12th Grade Precalculus

Life of Fred's plan (Again, LOF doesn't go by grade, but this is their order. I put the grades in so you can compare.)

5th Grade, Fractions

6th Grade, Decimals and Percents

7th Grade, Beginning Algebra (not sure if this is PRE Alg or Alg I)

8th Grade, Advanced Algebra

9th Grade, Geometry

10th Grade, Trig

11th Grade, Calculus

12th Grade, Statistics

LivingMath lessons all the way, plus:

K - Singapore Earlybird

1 - Singapore Primary 1

2 - Singapore Primary 2, Math-It

3 - Singapore Primary 3, Challenging Word Problems 2

4 - Singapore Primary 4, Challenging Word Problems 3

5 - Singapore Primary 5, Challenging Word Problems 4, Life of Fred Fractions

6 - Singapore Primary 6, Challenging Word Problems 5, Life of Fred Decimals

7 - Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1, Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

8 - Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2, Life of Fred Advanced Algebra

9 - Teaching Textbooks Geometry, Life of Fred Geometry

10 + depends on child's bent, but pre-calc/trig and above will get outsourced or taught by dad, and I'd use a business math course with kids who aren't sciences bound

I sat in on Tom Clark's class. He is from VideoText Algebra. He said that it is such an enigma this pre-algebra. He said, "anything before algebra is pre-algebra. So technically, you can go to a party and say your two year old is in pre-algebra." :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Seriously, a lot of the pre-algebra stuff is what the child is learning all along. Maybe things like negative numbers and the like may be different. When I was a child I took algebra in seventh grade, geometry in eighth grade, trigonometry in ninth grade, integers in tenth, pre-calculus in eleventh and calculus in twelfth.

I am glad I went that track because it really prepared me for college math and when I took a statistic course, I did well because of it. So I think that if your child wants to go to college, you should start pre-algebra in sixth grade.

This is my opinion. It was also my experience, but every child is different.

Blessings in your homeschool journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I didn't take Algebra I until 9th grade and then Geometry in 10th and Algebra II in 11th. And I made it just fine to college! :tongue_smilie:

Same here. I went to private grade school that did not offer Algebra. I took Algebra in 9th, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th, Trig in summer school, and Calculus in 12th. I have a degree in math.

Don't forget the summer school option!

I took algebra in seventh grade, geometry in eighth grade, trigonometry in ninth grade, integers in tenth, pre-calculus in eleventh and calculus in twelfth.

I'm being dense here, I think - but could you please tell me what your Integers class in tenth grade covered? I've never heard of a class like that - is it called something else? I thought integers (and their operations) were just numbers - and info we cover K-6ish. Ack. (I actually took, fwiw, Algebra I in 8th, Geometry in 9th, Algebra II in 10th, precalc in 11th and AP Calc in 12th, so I thought I had at least a rudimentary understanding of math - but please educate me!)

Thanks.