Menu

Anyone not seal furniture after antiquing?

I have a cabinet I need for school supplies that has antiquing glaze on and dried for days.. I just don't have the motivation to seal it..

Anyone not clearcoat after antiquing a painted piece of furniture? Please tell me to be lazy, slap on the knobs and move it back in my house ha ha

Well, the painting technique was quite rough so it didn't get super shiny but I am pleased with the results. I have the drawer pulls back on and doors hung on the hinges...

Only "bad" thing is I accidentally got one knob too small :/ SO I will have to get the right size.. I have the too small one on there now, because as soon as DH drives up, this sucker is going back in the house so I can load it up tomorrow. Wrong knob or not! ha ha!

P.S. My father, the guy that does custom furniture and gets paids thousands and thousands of dollars for his work (he is top notch) will absolutely start hyperventilating when he learns I put car wax on this cabinet.. He already hated the fact that I refused to chemically strip it and just finish the wood to its natural state... He is a "naturalist" when it comes to wood cabinetry!...

Is it sad that I am looking forward to rocking the boat and telling him about the car wax finish?!??!?!?!?!

LOL about your father.

The kids and I just finished refinishing some old furniture with homemade chalk paint. We wanted to buy Annie Sloane chalk paint but did not live close to a distributor and it was very expensive. There is a recipe floating around that we tried:

one fourth plaster of paris added to three fourths paint (eggshell interior paint in whatever color you purchase). You need to add water to make the plaster of paris "soupy' with no lumps before adding to your paint.

Put two coats of this paint on the furniture (no priming necessary).

When paint is dry, wax thoroughly with clear wax applied with a stiff paintbrush. We used Minwax paste wax.

Sand and distress some of the bumpy parts and edges of the piece. Use rough sandpaper.

Rub wax until shiny.

Then, if you want darker antiquing color in the nooks and crannies, dip a separate stiff paintbrush in paste shoe polish (black or brown) and apply to the areas you want darkened. Rub that with a soft cloth until shiny. If you get too much dark on a section, you can rub a little clear wax on and it wipes off so you can start again.

We did a nightstand, table, and lamp -- the small table in palest pink, and the nightstand and lamp in a bright lime yellow-green. I know that sounds awful but they turned out lovely - the bright colors are perfect accent pieces for the girls' room.

The next thing I may try is to add a bit of acrylic paint to the chalk paint to come up with a custom color - I suspect that would work.

I know you didn't ask for a rundown of our whole project but I wanted to share because this technique was so easy and wax is exactly what is called for. Do a search for "chalk paint" and see the types of projects that have been done.