Menu

What are your guidelines for giving rep points?

Either positive or negative.

I have only given rep a few times because I keep forgetting, but I have given it to someone for great advice, sending something I bought in a timely fashion, and of course to that generous person who gave me something for just the price of shipping. I have never given a negative rep, and I am wondering what justifies negative rep? So, for what do you give rep?

Dorothy

if I ask a question, I try to rep those that reply to me or offer assistance cause it's nice to have people respond kwim? I also rep when someone says something really funny or something that really speaks to me. Oh I also doing it as a ITA kind of response - like if someone says they do something and I think yeah me too - I like to rep and say so. Just kind of a fun one.

I give out rep if something someone says really strikes home to me, or if I really appreciate a link, or if I think something's really funny, or to cheer someone up. I just recently tried my very first rep party but it was a bomb because I ran out of rep to give on the second person!!! Sigh.

I have never given negative rep and would probably only do so if a transaction on the swap board went really sour.

Just for the record, I've never given neg rep...I don't think I've ever seen anything that needed it though.

As far as using rep as a pick me up....you know I have mixed feelings about that. Sometimes someone will post that they lost a pet/family member, are struggling financially, need prayer, etc and rep seems kind of minor in the big picture kwim? I feel a bit awkward offering rep to lift someone's spirits over a serious issue. Is that weird?

I like to give positive rep for helpful advice, thoughtful posts, and to those who replied to a particular post in the same way I would, but who have been more articulate than I ever could.

I'd rather not give negative rep. I like to focus on the positive aspect of the little green gifts.

I give rep if someone gives a helpful suggestion whether it be parenting advice or curriculum advice or whatever.

I give rep if someone says something profound or funny or just spot-on agreement.

Lastly, I check out the rep on the Member List (sort by reputation) and whoever is really, really close to 2 squares, I give them a rep to push 'em over the edge. But, they had to have said something rep worthy, so I just check their recent posts and every time so far, there has been something they said that deserved a rep :)

Generally, for good advice, if someone has made me laugh, or if something someone has said really strikes a chord with me.

Right now, though, I've committed all my rep for the next few days to the July 4th rep party. I said I'd do it, and I'm bound and determined to do it -- even though I've only made it to the beginning of page 14 so far!

I've never given negative rep and don't plan on doing so.

My confession? I keep forgetting about rep until someone mentions it in a post. Then I run around and rep everyone I can think of until I forget all about it again.

I can't imagine ever negative repping someone unless they were being a big ol jerk. And even then I'd probably forget about repping them.

What were we talking about?

As far as using rep as a pick me up....you know I have mixed feelings about that. Sometimes someone will post that they lost a pet/family member, are struggling financially, need prayer, etc and rep seems kind of minor in the big picture kwim? I feel a bit awkward offering rep to lift someone's spirits over a serious issue. Is that weird?

Oh, I didn't mean weighty things like that. I meant things like people having a bad day (especially if they've vented with a hilarious post that made me laugh), feeling hormonal, or having their birthday forgotten. No, I agree that rep is not appropriate for serious issues.

I have no guidelines....I'm just all willy nilly about it....though, I do try to give back to those that give to me...but, I know I fall short... *note to self....do better!

I have never given neg...If I have a problem with someones post I just say so in the thread....which, btw, has earned *ME* some neg rep...:lol:

Just for the record, I've never given neg rep...I don't think I've ever seen anything that needed it though.

This is not wierd at all. I think the same way.

I give rep for lovely, well thought out and inspiring posts, I give rep when people make me laugh, I give rep when someone is particularly helpful or encouraging. I have given rep to people who took the time to dig up facts to support their position in a debate. Sometimes I give rep just for fun or because the person has a history of being a positive influence on this board and I haven't repped them in a while. I am often inspired to give rep if I appreciate a post written by someone who seems relatively new to the board.

I gave negative rep once. I think it was probably warranted but I hated doing it. I have always felt badly about it and would probably never do it again.