Menu

Need LA help here ...

ChrissySC

So, I need to find some equity in future resources and still make some changes. I need to cover things without bulking up our studies and consuming large amounts of time that are not fruitful.

I am thinking of using Winston Grammar Basic Level, A Journey Through Grammar Land (as many levels as we can), and Elementary Diagramming. For backup, I have a few online resources, and Kiss that I can print. (Can't quite pick one yet.)

For writing, a variety that I have mentioned often - Writer's Express/Write Source, Write with the Best, Killgallon, Writing Strands.

Simply Spelling (with dictation 1 to 2 times a week, and a study of the common misspelled words)

Simply Poetry

Vocabulary Bridges, Vocabulary in the Content Areas (World History), Vocabulary for the Gifted Student

I have been looking at Ceasars and Word within a Word though. I am really swayed this way. I like the study of the language. I have not bought vocabulary yet, and I could be persuaded by the hive to purchase.:lol: Feel free to convince me. Is it time consuming? worth the trouble? I am fond of Vocabu-Lit too. I just can't sit on something and press order yet. I only have a week! I can't choose with vocabulary either!

Best Nonfiction (finish this up)

Best Selling Chapters

We will choose a play somewhere down the line too.

What am I missing?

ETA: No comment? Which would you pick for grammar? I really like the fun aspect of AJTGL. Come on ... no one is using any of the grammar resources?

Edited by ChrissySC

Bumping for you...

If I understand correctly, you need help choosing grammar and vocabulary? This is for your 11 year old? What grade? What kind of learner is she?

We love Caesars here, but I am not familiar enough with the rest of your choices.

I never spent enough time figuring out KISS; the first 3rd grade page had me stumped on one problem and I ran away scared!

Hoping someone else chimes in for you!

11 - soon to be 12

Sixth Grade (high vocabulary but low on the grammar mastery, weak sentence construction as a result)

Type of learner is more difficult to exemplify. I would say that she is a tactile learner for the most part.

I did click the buy button on AJTGL last night, if nothing else just to be able to see the books. When I say maybe more tactile, it does not have to be experienced directly or literally hands-on but rather in a demonstrative way such as through a story or colorful diagramming (i.e. as Math Mammoth does in their explanations). It just needs to refrain from lecture and be served as quickly as much as possible to avoid the impatience and boredom that soon follow.