Menu

If you teach other people's kids in your homeschool...

Do you have a contract (payment agreement, "rules & regulations" for student conduct, etc.) for the parents and or students to sign? For the upcoming school year, I will be teaching 3 girls in addition to EK, and one of the girls had some minor behavior issues at her previous school. I have known this child all her life, and I've known her mom for about 25 years, so I am not anticipating any serious problems, but I think a contract stipulating expectations and consequences would be a good plan. Any advice?

I would have a contract in place with a right for termination clause. Don't assume that knowing someone for years means no problems will occur. Friends and business generally don't mix! I think a contract could protect both of you and lay out expectations for both parties.

Also, you need to make sure this is legal in your state. A number of states only allow the parents to do the majority of the educating.

I would have a contract in place with a right for termination clause. Don't assume that knowing someone for years means no problems will occur. Friends and business generally don't mix! I think a contract could protect both of you and lay out expectations for both parties.

Also, you need to make sure this is legal in your state. A number of states only allow the parents to do the majority of the educating.

Thanks for your input. Yes, a right for termination clause is one thing I'm considering.

It is legal in my state to teach other people's children. (Also, I'm a certified teacher.) I started homeschooling other people's kids along with my own in 1996. I did it for a couple of years, then taught only my own kids until I picked up another student in 2010 (no contract, but no problems). This year, I'm going to be picking up two more students, so I'm thinking a contract would be a good idea.

Hmmm - I am teaching 2 extras part of the time, but the other part of the time she teaches my 2 as extras, so it's a different deal! No contract, just a lot of communication.

If I were going to write up a contract, I would want to be clear about what costs were covered by who (extracurriculars, special lessons, co-op fees, online learning fees, etc). I would also want to discuss things like snack & meal costs, who gets to choose the curriculum, who buys curriculum (especially if you have to swap due to problems with either teacher or child learning poorly from one). Also, who owns the curriculum?

Examples: My friend really wants her kids to learn piano, so mine are also taking the class (it is at her house). It is "eh" for me; I think it's a good idea & the cost is fair, but if I were the only one teaching I wouldn't be doing it. I'm willing to pay, and do, but if I didn't have the money available it would be a problem (Do they go watch a movie? Do different instruction? Participate at her cost? Does she do it on a different day? More importantly - what if after a while I no longer can pay for it? Do we drop it from the schedule? She would lose a discounted rate & that whole chunk of scheduled time, so is that fair?)

Ex: Say we bought a set math program but it turns out to not be working out for one the the students (or maybe the teacher) and the cost was steep. Do we use it anyway, since it was bought? Switch, because it's better for student/teacher? Who pays for a switch?

These aren't really questions for me (we're fine!), but just an example of the things that could come up.

I didn't homeschool another child, but had her over twice a week for prek. Have a clear official calendar! The mom would sometimes email before a planned break and say, "I'm sure your having school tomorrow, but just wanted to check..." I could go back to the *signed* form and say, nope, we are off just like I said we would be! :glare: Also, work out payment. Will you refund money if they miss a class day, if you miss a class day etc. I several daycare forms online and pieced mine together. Business and friends is tough, but it helps to have everything in ink and signed, feelings are less likely to be hurt down the road.

Sick policies for both you and them -- under what circumstances would you prefer they stay home and not spread their bug to the other girls -- how will makeups be handled? What happens if you get sick?

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My student's mom would bring her child over who was hacking up a lung and tell me "she's much better now, but she hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning" :confused: And guess who's three children four and under caught her germs? :glare:

The mom was pretty sure she could *will* her child to be better, so she could get "much needed work" done at home. Yes, I should have had the guts to turn her away at the door, but didn't. I truly didn't believe that someone would send their child over to my home if the were that sick. I learned my lesson! And this parent was a dear friend of ours, someone who would do anything for you at the drop of a hat. I just began to see more of her faults when we worked together. Oh, but I did firmly say no when she tried to bring her little girl over when she had a fever in the last twelve hours. "But she is running around and feeling much better!" No, no, and no. 24 hour minimum. She called me later and said, "you know what, she really crashed later in the day! Good thing she didn't come over." She was an older mom with one child, and was not used to stopping her life for childish things, like fevers. We have things to do!