Menu

Cursive (not cursing!) question

Dh and I were talking this morning about cursive. I have taught both my boys print and cursive. But I know that at least 8 states have dropped cursive from schools. And many people feel that it is no longer necessary.

My question is this: What about signatures? I know of only 2 people who actually print their signature when signing documents. It makes them unique and harder to forge. Will printed "signatures" be more common now?

For those of you not teaching cursive, are you going to still teach your children how to sign their names in cursive?

Not as exciting as cupcakes, I know...... :001_smile:

Both my kids learned to sign their first names in cursive before they mastered the rest of the cursive alphabet.

I can't think of anyone I know who prints in their signature rather than using cursive.

I know! That's why I think it's weird that I know 2 people who print their names when they are signing legal documnts. Both were taught cursive. This is their chosen signature.

I'm really curious how this is going to play out in the next 10-15 years as these children not being taught cursive become adults. And I think it would be odd to learn *only* to sign your name and not learn the rest.

I read an article somewhere that if we stay on the current path, at some point we will need experts in cursive to decipher old documents.

I honestly think that it is a travesty that schools are dropping cursive:glare: Cursive is technically easier to master than print writing and is much quicker when one is proficient. I also think it helps children to focus. It is so easy to teach and schools are dropping the ball on this as well as on many other things such as no or insufficient phonics, no or insufficient spelling, no or insufficient grammar, no or insufficient world or US history and no or insuffient mastering of math facts or math operations.

That any number of states have dropped cursive writing from their curriculum has no impact on what I decide to teach or not teach. As far as I can tell, public schools are not the standard of comparison for any positive educational goals, KWIM?

The U.S. is the only English-speaking country that seems to have problems with its citizens learning to write in cursive, which is how English-speaking people have written their own language for hundreds of years. I see no reason to think that American children are less capable than children in in any other country.

Teach cursive. Require the children to write in cursive. You cannot go wrong by giving them this skill.

That any number of states have dropped cursive writing from their curriculum has no impact on what I decide to teach or not teach. As far as I can tell, public schools are not the standard of comparison for any positive educational goals, KWIM?

The U.S. is the only English-speaking country that seems to have problems with its citizens learning to write in cursive, which is how English-speaking people have written their own language for hundreds of years. I see no reason to think that American children are less capable than children in in any other country.

Teach cursive. Require the children to write in cursive. You cannot go wrong by giving them this skill.

Amen:D

:iagree: And I do require it. I'm just curious what will happen to people's signatures if they don't learn cursive. Ideas?

I learned cursive and I can't even read some of it. Think of those old documents and such. Or some of my relatives who left writings in 100 year old cursive. It's like a foreign language.

And I don't write faster in cursive. I print, and sometimes connect letters where it makes sense. As in the word like, I would link the k and e if I am writing fast.

I never though of the signature. I always thought of a signature as some way to write your name quickly and unique. As in not so easy to make an exact replica.

I require my children to learn cursive for brain development reasons. My oldest is on the spectrum and no way---absolutely no way-- would I cut cursive instruction.

http://mimlearning.com/news/2012/02/12/cutting-cursive-the-real-cost

As far as whether it's right or wrong to print or use cursive or styles of signatures. That's all neither here nor there for me. I write in a mish-mash of print and cursive. My signature is a mix of print and cursive letters. My dh's signature looks like a doctor signed it. No one would be able to read it unless they knew it was him.

And btw---I honestly believe that there will come a day homeschoolers are the only ones who will be able to write properly with pen and paper until parents catch on and begin to demand cursive back into the curriculum or take up the slack and begin teaching them at home.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but Walking Iris - thank you! I searched the boards before I asked about teaching my little boy cursive. He's on the spectrum and we're doing pre-k this year but he's fascinated by cursive. I only use print when writing something like a shopping list for my husband (who is also on the spectrum, an Aspie). DS can write most of his upper manuscript letters just from copying what he saw in the books we read or off a cereal box or whatever and we've actually had terrible fits because he couldn't write his name in cursive. What you said and the link makes me feel a bit more confident in going ahead with cursive (not to mention, it'll probably really help the fine motor.)

Not as exciting as cupcakes, I know...... :001_smile:

It's not as exciting as cursing, either, but you sort of had my hopes up with the title of your thread. :glare:

I guess I was secretly hoping you were going to be cursing in cursive or something, and then we'd all talk about cupcakes and kilts until the moderators caught on and closed the thread. :D

Oh well.

But since I'm here, I will tell you that I taught my ds both printing and cursive, so I guess he'll always have options when he signs his name. ;)