Menu

Beginning chapter-ish books with a higher reading level

blondeviolin

Magic Tree House and the like are too easy. At this point, I think she'd prefer pictures interspersed throughout the chapter. She's reading at about a 6-7 grade level. I'd love for these to be "easy" so something around a 3/4 grade level is kind of what I'm looking for. She's done most of the Roald Dahl books.

If I had to do it again. I would have him read through picture books. you can find them with higher reading levels(than Magic Tree House), The interest level will be there developmentally and they really are good stories, better written than a lot of chapter books, esp series. I rushed my "great" reader to chapter books and I feel like we missed some great picture books. Just because they have chapters doesn't mean they are better. Of course when we were in your position I wouldn't have thought this way. Hindsight is 20/20. We are currently reading through the Caldecott Medal winners and having a great time. I am blessed with a great library and librarians who always have great recommendations.

For easy type chapters my son loves(even still) the Great Illustrated Classics. Quick reads but he loves to say he read Moby Dick :)

If I had to do it again. I would have him read through picture books. you can find them with higher reading levels(than Magic Tree House), The interest level will be there developmentally and they really are good stories, better written than a lot of chapter books, esp series. I rushed my "great" reader to chapter books and I feel like we missed some great picture books. Just because they have chapters doesn't mean they are better. Of course when we were in your position I wouldn't have thought this way. Hindsight is 20/20. We are currently reading through the Caldecott Medal winners and having a great time. I am blessed with a great library and librarians who always have great recommendations.

For easy type chapters my son loves(even still) the Great Illustrated Classics. Quick reads but he loves to say he read Moby Dick :)

Oh, I have NO problem with picture books. It is SO MUCH easier to find picture books with a higher reading level that still fits her interest level. BUT, we're going on vacation and I'd like to let her keep reading, but not have to carry a ton of picture books.

Ramona, of course!

Sophie the Snail series and others by Dick King Smith

The Worst Witch series (I had to buy on ebay)

Pippi and others by Astrid Lindgren

B is for Besty series by Carolyn Haywood

Betsy Tacy series (when she's younger)

Sarah, Plain and Tall series (short, but dd LOVED these)

Bunnicula series

Edited by lisabees

Ds is reading The Littles which is a great transition book with not only short chapters and larger print, but also multi-syllabic words and a reading level of 4.1.

:iagree:I was going to add The Littles, but once I got into edit mode, I forgot what I was there. Sigh. I need caffeine. :lol:

DD also loved books from Sonlight's lists - Tornado, Hannah, Cora Frear, A Lion to Guard Us, Chalk Box Kid (and others by Clyde Robert Bulla) etc.

Edited by lisabees

Hank the Cowdog

Araminta Spookie

Jenny and the Cat Club and sequels

Yotsuba&! (Manga, but don't let this put you off)

Tintin

Asterix

Clementine

Bad Kitty

Little Pear

Daniel Pinkwater

Dick King-Smith (some have illustrations)

No Flying in the House

The Sisters Eight

Magic School Bus, both originals and chapter books)

Beverly Cleary

Spiderwick Chronicles

Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist

She's reading at about a 6-7 grade level. I'd love for these to be "easy" so something around a 3/4 grade level is kind of what I'm looking for.

I assume this is for your 6 yr old?

Don't forget that the Magic Treehouse "Merlin Missions" and Field Guides are more advanced than the main MT series. Both my kids continue to enjoy those even though the main MT were considered too easy/simple long ago.

My just-turned 7 yr old, advanced reader liked the following last year at age 6:

- Ivy & Bean books

- Dragonsbreath series

- E.B. White Books

- Chocolate Fever

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle

- Dragon in the Sock Drawer (and its sequels)

- Guardians of Ga'Hoole Series

- Dahl books (though I know you already mentioned those were read)

Right now it's all about Percy Jackson and the Harry Potter series, although that's only since turning 7 that she had any interest in that content.

Edited by zenjenn