Menu

Homeschool Goals for 2012-2013

ByGrace3

I just did a blog post on our homschool goals for this year and thought I would post here. What are your homeschooling goals for this year? I admit mine are more goals for me, but hey! :tongue_smilie:

My top 10 homeschool goals for me this year:

10. Build more tents and forts

9. Play more games

8. More read alouds and cuddle time

7. Spend less time on the computer

6.Spend less time on curriculum research, and more time using what I have

5. More laughter and joy in the little things

4. Exhibit more patience, don't expect results immediately

3. Less focus on "finishing" tasks and more focus on enjoying the learning process

2. Speak more encouragement and less criticism

1. Enjoy every moment of this precious time

I just did a blog post on our homschool goals for this year and thought I would post here. What are your homeschooling goals for this year? I admit mine are more goals for me, but hey! :tongue_smilie:

9. Play more games

3. Less focus on "finishing" tasks and more focus on enjoying the learning process

:iagree: we have mostly the same goals for this year!!!

Number 1 on my list is survive :) I am taking on a lot more this year than ever before. I am watching a 3 yr old a few days a week, and I just applied for a job in an afterschool program where I will take my kids and her every day afterschool. Nevermind that we often use those afternoon hours to do schoolwork. But it seems like a good opportunity for me and it is in a small Classical school. It just seems to be a good fit for me.

Anyway:

1. Survive :)

2. Do more science. I bought a curric I like this year which is going well.

3. Have more patience. This should always be on the list.

4. Stay organized with the housework and school schedule. It makes such a difference!

5. Keep reading aloud. It makes a big difference in how the day goes too.

I have various other educational goals for each child. But these are the top ones for me. :)

Number 1 on my list is survive :) I am taking on a lot more this year than ever before. I am watching a 3 yr old a few days a week, and I just applied for a job in an afterschool program where I will take my kids and her every day afterschool. Nevermind that we often use those afternoon hours to do schoolwork. But it seems like a good opportunity for me and it is in a small Classical school. It just seems to be a good fit for me.

Anyway:

4. Stay organized with the housework and school schedule. It makes such a difference!

I have various other educational goals for each child. But these are the top ones for me. :)

oh, staying on top of housework is a good one. I have been trying to do more during the week so weekends aren't "wasted" on us having to clean. I am hoping that comes along with my "spend less time on the computer." :lol:

Hmm. Mine would probably be:

1. Get everything we need ready the night before instead of waiting until the morning.

2. Read more poetry aloud.

3. Spend a shorter amount of time waking up w/ coffee and internet each morning. (Um, today's a fail...)

4. Take more field trips to Minneapolis/St. Paul to go to museums, plays, etc.

These are all great and I can take some from each list for myself. PATIENCE is a major thing I need to work on when it comes to reading with my 2nd grader. I also want to have more fun with them and add in some other activities besides their never ending baseball schedule.

Good idea to list goals out like this.

I think my academic goals are to focus on getting my Kinder off and running learning to read. And my 4th grader working more diligently at math and writing a la Bravewriter.

I want to spend more time doing hands on activities and projects and art and music appreciation and less "seatwork" workbook type stuff.

I want to just go with the flow of our interests rather than try to keep with a schedule---looking for routine rather than schedule.

I want to do more "tot school" type activities with my dd. And let her join in where she can as a 2 year old. I don't want her suffering from too much benign neglect.

I want to do more science and more nature studies.

We put our tv and wii away this summer and it's going to stay put away for some time. I want us to play more and talk more and stay off of technology as much as possible. So I've already begun to limit my time online.

I need to be more disciplined about getting up and going in the morning. We are definitely not morning people.

I want to spend time doing what I have available and stop stressing about doing every little bit of the lesson. So I want to relax more.

And patience. I definitely need to be patient.

9. Play more games

Oh gosh - these fit me to a "T". I hope you don't mind if I steal them. Although #10 means more mess........ahhhhhh - I really need to learn to relax a little more......must focus on #5, must focus on #5.

9. Play more games

Great list!!!

Oh gosh - these fit me to a "T". I hope you don't mind if I steal them. Although #10 means more mess........ahhhhhh - I really need to learn to relax a little more......must focus on #5, must focus on #5.

:lol: Coming from the ultimate hater of messes, would you believe I have had a fort set up in the library for 3 days now?!?! Visible right as you walk in the door. :svengo: I am learning to let go for the sake of the moments they will remember forever! :)

9. Play more games

That is an awesome list!!! Mind if I steal it???:001_huh:I would love to print it out and post it in our school room.:D

:lol: Coming from the ultimate hater of messes, would you believe I have had a fort set up in the library for 3 days now?!?! Visible right as you walk in the door. :svengo: I am learning to let go for the sake of the moments they will remember forever! :)

Thanks for the inspiration :001_smile:

9. Play more games

:iagree:

Doing more hands on science.

Working through the writing battle with a :chillpill: pill.

1. Survive the remainder of the twins' baby/toddlerhood. Ensure that DD survives the remainder of the twins' toddlerhood.

2. Ensure that the twins' survive the remainder of their toddlerhood.

3. Convince twins that pee goes in the toilet.

4. Convince DD that she can go to the toilet without my direct supervision

5. Reduce DD's screen time

6. Get my housekeeping act together before I have to worry much about academic goals

7. Convince DD that the school bus is not going to take her away in September

8. Keep the ball rolling with my HS group

9. Convince DD that vegetables are food, not projectiles (Physics! Biology! Health!)

10. Get DD reading a bit. This one is flexible though.

·Play more games/ have more fun during school

·Spend less time on the computer

·Be more encouraging/less criticism, less yelling

·Stay on top of housework

·Start school earlier consistently

·Tot school consistently-reading and tot activities

·Get up before the kids

·Stop stressing about school

·Less TV/electronics screen time for boys

·Get outside for PE and move with boys weekly/park days

·Community service – Meals on Wheels

·Work with Emmanuel and his pace but no overkill with workbooks

Edited by tuzor
wanted to add something

9. Play more games

I love this!! And I agree with someone else that I need to print this out and put it up in our workroom. I am so guilty of #3 and #4... When I really need to focus on the rest! Thank You!!

1. Create memories with the boys that will carry into adulthood.

2. Encourage interest-based learning.

3. Build routines that teach home maintenance skills (household chores/yard maintenance).

4. Character Building - encourage and model positive character traits such as patience, self-control, listening, and bravery.

5. Family unity and bonding time

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Thank you for sharing. It has encouraged me to spend some time writing down my goals for the year. Thanks.

Thank you. I am so glad it has meant something. I always hesitate to share things like this, but I decided God spoke it to my heart and it might help someone else in the same place....

:)

10. Laugh more often/stop taking things too seriously.

9. Song more songs (no matter how badly I sing!)

8. Read more books.

7. Have more patience.

6. Play more games.

5. Do more science experiments.

4. Do less housework during school time (ie, stop being so OCD about the mess)

3. Go on more field trips.

2. Do less worksheets, and do more hands-on stuff.

1. Have fun!!!

Anyway:

Mine too! This is the first year I'm homescooling (K) and I'm not really stressing over it, but we're also moving in November. Not just our house (which I havne't done since pre kids when we didn't really own anything!) but our ranch! So like 250 cows, 150 sheep, 30+ horses, chickens. And dh is buying another 100 head of sheep. And it's a whole new place (so probably a big learning curve on managing it) in a whole new town - I won't have the same support systems. And to top it off, I'm expecting in March. So if we all come out of it at the other end alive, preferably with some dignity intact, I'll be happy :)

We are pretty laid back so my goals actually lean towards being a tad (not too much) more structured. As they are getting older, I am seeing some changes I need to make for their benefit (love that I can do that with homeschooling!) and for mine. So next year, we will continue to have lots of fun but I will add in a more structured (but flexible) routine and consistency.

Mine too! This is the first year I'm homescooling (K) and I'm not really stressing over it, but we're also moving in November. Not just our house (which I havne't done since pre kids when we didn't really own anything!) but our ranch! So like 250 cows, 150 sheep, 30+ horses, chickens. And dh is buying another 100 head of sheep. And it's a whole new place (so probably a big learning curve on managing it) in a whole new town - I won't have the same support systems. And to top it off, I'm expecting in March. So if we all come out of it at the other end alive, preferably with some dignity intact, I'll be happy :)

Oh wow. After seeing your list, I am not going to worry about my own busyness ever again!

I should have put that I help lead girl scouts and teach 2 latin co-op classes, which adds to my busyness, but that still doesn't compare to the ranch and new baby! I hope you guys have a great year.