Menu

cost of a hotel long term

Some hotels will discount long stays. We stayed in a hotel in San Diego for 12 days and paid slightly less than 50% of the normal price but that was still about $150 per night.

Hostels have shared rooms, but some have 4 beds (others 8). Buying all 4 (instead of the three you need) might be less money than a hotel. There would be a shared kitchen, possibly a shared bathroom (some have private baths). It's easier to live in a hostel long term than in a hotel.

It all depends on what is in your area.

Extended stay hotels are probably as cheap as you will find that will have a 2 burner stove and a small apartment fridge instead of a micro fridge. I would say that depending on where you are you can get a room for about $900 or $1000 a month. Obviously in more expensive areas it will be more and they will give bigger discounts for longer term. There is another chain called Value Place that usually seems pretty cheap even in comparison to Extended Stay, but they don't allow pets so I have never stayed there. Extended stays are not top of the line, but are tolerable as far as cleanliness goes.

I hope that things will work out for you.:grouphug:

ETA: Craigslist has a category called sublets and temporary. You might look there as well if you aren't expecting to need a place for more than a couple of months.

Edited by Mama Geek

How much is it or is it even reasonable to stay long term?

Wont get into details, but my 2 children, 1 dog and I might need to go this route. Its better than a homeless shelter, but I am looking into other options.

Is a domestic violence shelter appropriate? In that case, you'd be protected and have access to information and support.

Is a domestic violence shelter appropriate? In that case, you'd be protected and have access to information and support.

no violence involved.

Not sure if it applies, but you might want to check for a women's shelter. Sometimes they are very small and in larger homes.

id prefer not.

The suites designed for long term business stays are usually most reasonable and have small kitchens. I don't know how many, if any, will allow a dog though. When we last had to stay in a hotel long term, those were much more inexpensive than a regular hotel.

How much is it or is it even reasonable to stay long term?

Wont get into details, but my 2 children, 1 dog and I might need to go this route. Its better than a homeless shelter, but I am looking into other options.

Consider also B&B's in your area; sometimes they can be rented for a longer term.

Airbnb is another option; it includes listings for a variety of places, often small apartments or rooms in private homes, some of which have kitchen access, many of which are significantly cheaper than a hotel would be. This might be your best bet for negotiating a lower rate for a longer term, plus it could be more private and better suited to children than a hotel.

Also, some of the less desirable hotels regularly rent on a monthly basis; you can always buy an inexpensive microwave etc. to use if needed.

Consider also local campgrounds, some of which feature cabins or other options that don't require "camping" per se. As we are nearing the off season, their rates might be significantly lower than a hotel.

Besides the extended stay hotels, you might want to look into the Vacation Rental By Owner places -- vrbo.com.

Even non-glamourous regions have vrbo homes and the cost might be a lot better than dealing w/ a hotel.

Also, I highly recommend this site for looking at hotel options in your area: FamilyVacationCritic.com. Click on "destinations" and pick the area you're interested in. Then read up on all of the hotels. You want a kitchen obviously, but you also might want a hotel that gives a free continental breakfast.

Most hotels these days have small fridges in them and a microwave will be brought up if you ask.

And, on Craig's List rental homes, you can sometimes find homes where the owners only want you to stay for six months in their fully furnished home. I've been suprised how many of these I've come across.

One more also. . . Residence Inn.

All across the country these hotels give:

• Full kitchens with stove, cookware and ovens
  • Hot breakfast and light buffet at dinner
  • Indoor pool, coin laundry and complimentary grocery service
  • Free WiFi

Just keep in mind parking costs. Most hotels don't give free parking. Be sure to ask.

Feel free to PM me. I'm hotel oriented.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64

Price varies a lot, depending on where you are. I'd absolutely look at b&b's or vacation rental homes (which can usually be rented by the week) since they give you a lot more options.

I lived 6months in an extended-stay hotel. It cost me (or rather, my company) about $50/day at the maximum discounted rate because I was there so long. So about $1500/month. This was in Southern California - a very expensive market.

do you have a friend you could stay with?

anyone needing a house sitter?

We had friends that were gone for the summer once and we were moving back to the area and we stayed in their house for the summer. They were thankful to have someone there with the dog/

do you have a friend you could stay with?

anyone needing a house sitter?

We had friends that were gone for the summer once and we were moving back to the area and we stayed in their house for the summer. They were thankful to have someone there with the dog/

Im asking around with some friends. :)