Menu

So...

Do you like instant potato??  

1. 1. Do you like instant potato??

• Heck yes!!!
    • Ewwww!!
    • Other

Unbelievably, I had to vote other. :lol:

I grew up on them. We had real mashed potatoes only on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Boxed potatoes the rest of the year. Now I think they are all kinds of cardboardy badness. However, when I was pregnant with DD, I got an insane craving for boxed mashed potatoes. I actually had to call DH at work one day and make him pick up a box on the way home. I feel kind of sick thinking about it now :tongue_smilie:, but back then it really hit the spot. To be fair though, we didn't just add water. We added milk and butter. They sure were airy. :lol:

I grew up on them. We had real mashed potatoes only on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Boxed potatoes the rest of the year. Now I think they are all kinds of cardboardy badness. However, when I was pregnant with DD, I got an insane craving for boxed mashed potatoes. I actually had to call DH at work one day and make him pick up a box on the way home. I feel kind of sick thinking about it now :tongue_smilie:, but back then it really hit the spot. To be fair though, we didn't just add water. We added milk and butter. They sure were airy. :lol:

If it helps, when I was pregnant with my eldest, every night I got out of bed, drove to 7-11 with a can opener and a fork, and ate a can of beefaroni (which my iPhone wants to autocorrect to "beef wrong"... How apropos) on my way home. There's no accounting for pregnancy eating. We can't hold that against you.

Are we being disrespectful? Shouldn't we ask whether they'd prefer to be called Deborah potatoes?

As for my opinion on their taste: never had them, so can't say. I am not, however, especially nostalgic for the real potatoes my grandmother whipped with electric beaters into a glutinous mucilage. I stand by my lumps.

If it helps, when I was pregnant with my eldest, every night I got out of bed, drove to 7-11 with a can opener and a fork, and ate a can of beefaroni (which my iPhone wants to autocorrect to "beef wrong"... How apropos) on my way home. There's no accounting for pregnancy eating. We can't hold that against you.

:lol::lol::lol:

:iagree:

It is nice to have a quicker way to do mashed potatoes for the top of shepherds pie.

Yeah. And, I use them to thicken soup, or if I want mashed potatoes fast. I make mine with milk and real butter, not water. They're pretty good.

If I'm planning a meal that includes mashed potatoes, I make real ones; but it's nice to keep a box of instant ones around.

Well, I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I hate REAL mashed potatoes. There's something about the texture that weirds me out. Even if they have been whipped to within an inch of their life and are silky smooth, there's just something I can't stand about them. Of course everyone thinks I'm insane. When we have holiday meals with our extended families (which is rare), my mom or MIL always make me a small serving of instant while everyone else gets real. :001_smile:

I have serious texture issues with food. I can't handle the feel of beef or pork. Ack. We went to an Indian restaurant one night where I ordered a soup that tasted amazing, but had an odd texture, so I couldn't eat it.

Ok, who snuck in the "heck yes" votes and ran away? :lol:

Cowards. :D

I confess to loving instant mashed potatoes (although I never fix them -- dh would disown me). They are one of the ultimate comfort foods.

C'mon, you fellow heck-yes-instant-potato lovers -- stand tall. Be proud. Take your lumps. Oh, wait -- there are none! :lol:

I had to vote other. If we're doing a meal, our potatoes are always real as I don't care for instant.

However, sometimes we do quick "helpy thyselfy" meals that are quick, inexpensive, etc, and then, sometimes, members of the family (including myself) opt for some pre-packaged instant potatoes. I like sour cream and chives. Most male members of the family like loaded. At that point these things taste decent enough - along the lines of a pop tart or ramens.

So, for meals? Never. For quick eats? Sometimes (probably once a month or so).

We use them occasionally. We only buy the ones that are just potatoes, no added flavorings. Then we doctor them up ourselves with butter, cheese or lots of gravy. With the ones we buy, we need to add salt since they don't have any -- the salt makes all the difference IMO. But if you buy the ones with added flavorings, they are so salty that they burn your throat. Best to buy plain and add your own.

I like them for a snack. I use some water, butter, milk, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and cream cheese in mine. They are pretty tasty. I also love real mashed potatoes.

I do like to keep them on hand for emergencies, too. Once we had some impromptu guests and no time to run to the store. I had potatoes, but not quiiiite enough, so I added some instant to stretch them a little more. I would have preferred to use all real potatoes, but I also wanted to offer plenty to eat.

I don't 'like' them but my husband bought a HUGE $2 box of them at WalMart once. We used those things forever. I would randomly throw them in a meal where I didn't have enough side items. I always doctored them up with spices, cream cheese, sour cream, etc.

I much prefer the real thing.

Unlike many pp's, I didn't grow up on instant mashed potatoes. My mom just didn't use such processed/packaged convenience items. It never occurred to me to use them either, until maybe a couple of years ago.

Mashed potatoes in our house have come to be an accompaniment to a very quick week-night meal, like meatloaf, burgers, chicken patties, etc. with a bag of packaged salad. If I had to peel, slice, boil, drain and mash potatoes, it would defeat the convenience factor.

We don't really eat out, we don't "grab" take-out food when I'm too busy to cook, etc. So, instant mashed potatoes serve that purpose for us, maybe 2-3 times a month.

And, BTW, we do like the taste!

That's really funny because I craved those boxed mashed potatoes during one of my pregnancies too. I stocked up on them and made them at all hours.

I like instant potatoes, but I never serve them. And I like the real potatoes, too. I could live on potatoes only for the rest of my life and be happy. FWIW, I classify instant and real in completely different catagories and crave both at different times. I like KFC's instant taters the best.

Imaginging the society pages of the news paper now after the cotillon.

And Deb "Potato" Russett was seen mashing with the best of them, including Shepherd Pye, who is considered to be a real spud muffin. When asked if she is seeing Mr. Pye, Miss Russett curtly replied, "Idaho... I guess at this instant I am."

Sorry, I guess I am tired today.

I like instant potatoes, but I never serve them. And I like the real potatoes, too. I could live on potatoes only for the rest of my life and be happy. FWIW, I classify instant and real in completely different catagories and crave both at different times.

I do that with Kraft mac & cheese. An entirely separate entity from actual macaroni and cheese, but not without its individual merits.