Menu

Facebook issue...

I'm thinking of unfriending many of my "friends" and changing my name on facebook. There are only a few ppl that I keep up with on there anyway, but I mainly use it for the "groups" that I belong to on there.

So, if I unfriend ppl first and then change my name, the ppl that I unfriended won't be able to see my name change, right?

I would have to take my profile picture off, as it's a picture of dh and I. I say that because if I keep a few friends, I don't want the "friends" we have incommon seeing dh/my picture and know it's me.

Last winter I ditched fb all together (totally deactivated my account) and I set up a new account this spring, but I'm already sick of much of it. I would just close my account again, but there are SOME ppl that I'd like to keep up with and I like many of the pages/groups that I am apart of.

Should this plan work?

I've done this very thing. I unfriended everyone, closed that account, and then opened a new account with a different name. My only friend is my son that I want to still keep an eye on; oh, and my sister who moved to Korea and who updates on FB. But I have her hidden so I only see her stuff if I choose to go to her page. Most of my privacy settings are really high (only friends or friends of friends can do anything, but since I basically don't have any friends, it's nearly the same as being hidden), but I do have messaging open to all because I want people in my groups to be able to contact me easily. So all I do on FB now is use my groups for what I need, and message people. BTW, even if you don't friend people, you can still message with them. If I get a friend request now, because some people know who I am even with the alternate name, I just explain that I don't friend anyone but they're welcome to message me. Works GREAT!

I've done this very thing. I unfriended everyone, closed that account, and then opened a new account with a different name. My only friend is my son that I want to still keep an eye on; oh, and my sister who moved to Korea and who updates on FB. But I have her hidden so I only see her stuff if I choose to go to her page. Most of my privacy settings are really high (only friends or friends of friends can do anything, but since I basically don't have any friends, it's nearly the same as being hidden), but I do have messaging open to all because I want people in my groups to be able to contact me easily. So all I do on FB now is use my groups for what I need, and message people. BTW, even if you don't friend people, you can still message with them. If I get a friend request now, because some people know who I am even with the alternate name, I just explain that I don't friend anyone but they're welcome to message me. Works GREAT!

When you say you used a different name, is it a simpler form of your own name? I thought FB didn't allow aliases.

When you say you used a different name, is it a simpler form of your own name? I thought FB didn't allow aliases.

I used my baptized name so it's not a complete alias, just a different name that I also go by.

Edited by milovaný

I'm thinking of unfriending many of my "friends" and changing my name on facebook. There are only a few ppl that I keep up with on there anyway, but I mainly use it for the "groups" that I belong to on there.

So, if I unfriend ppl first and then change my name, the ppl that I unfriended won't be able to see my name change, right?

I would have to take my profile picture off, as it's a picture of dh and I. I say that because if I keep a few friends, I don't want the "friends" we have incommon seeing dh/my picture and know it's me.

Last winter I ditched fb all together (totally deactivated my account) and I set up a new account this spring, but I'm already sick of much of it. I would just close my account again, but there are SOME ppl that I'd like to keep up with and I like many of the pages/groups that I am apart of.

Should this plan work?

My sister changed her last name on FB. She said it would take a few weeks for her old name to not show up on google and connect to her "new" name. (In the beginning, it did.) I just checked, and her old name does not show up anymore.

Your other option is to use separate FB accounts for your groups, using a different name there. You can just let your current FB account sit, check who you like, but use the other name for groups.

I just hide people that I don't want to follow, and use the custom feature for any of my own updates or pictures that I only want certain friends to see.

It's easy to avoid drama, because I don't see it. Have you thought of going that route? It seems easier.

Funny, I thought it sounded more time-consuming/difficult in the sense that you have to do extra things. I don't have to hide anyone (there's no one to hide) nor do I click anything to give different privacy settings to different posts/pictures (I don't make any posts/pictures). I just go about my business in my groups and answer any messages.

Edited by milovaný