Menu

Notebook for K12 HO vol 1

Hi everyone! I’m planning on using K12’s Human Odyssey vol 1 (text only) with my 6th grade dd coming up shortly. I created a notebook to go with it, though I’m not sure how much of it I’ll end up using (simply reading, discussing, map-work, and a timeline sounds VERY appealing right now.) Since so many of you plan to use this as well, I thought I’d share what I made so maybe someone can get some use out of it.

What it is:

It’s a simple thing really, but I’m pleased with how it turned out. I created it with the thought of printing single-sided, and keeping the pages in page protectors (double-loaded) in a 3-ring binder. That way we could just pull out the pages we need and not have to lug around the whole thing, plus I think it would keep the pages neater as the year wears on.

There’s a cover page, a page with a history quote from Cicero, a couple pages for listing books, documentaries, etc.

Then there is a 2 page spread for each chapter of the book. There are lined areas that could be used for taking notes, writing short outlines, narrations, and/or summaries, or, if you do more discussion based, you could use them to kind of journal about your history discussions. There are a couple of blank boxes for drawing or pasting in pictures. There’s a box for jotting down dates to be added to your timeline, and a small box for indicating any map-work and/or projects you completed for that chapter. The pages are labeled with chapter titles and there’s a spot for the dates you worked on them.

After the chapter pages is a page for general notes, then a cover page for a mapping section of the notebook (we’ll be using MapTrek maps.) Next is a cover page for an arts, crafts, and projects section. Then a cover page labeled History of Philosophy, and a chart for Jostein Gaarder’sSophie’s World. We plan to read through the novel and I wanted a place to keep track of the philosophers and their ideas as we go. Along the same idea is a cover page and chart for the first of Hakim’s Story of Science books.

After all that is a cover page for a timeline sections, and two blank timeline templates. The first is based sort of on this and the second is more standard. The templates are undated; you can either type the dates in before printing, or fill them in by hand after.

Last is a back cover and spine label.

Where to find it:

I tried to upload it to Google Docs, but it wouldn’t keep the formatting, so I went to my fallback plan and created a yahoo group for the purpose of file sharing (no messages.) You can find it in the file section here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wtm_k12human_odyssey/. If anyone has any other files (booklists, schedules, etc.) that they would like to share for any of the Human Odyssey books, please feel free to load them up. I would just ask that you kindly label them to indicate which volume they are for.

So there you have it. Hope this is helpful to someone. Let me know if you have any questions.

Many Blessings,

Rhonda

• 4 months later...

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I uploaded a file I've been working on, which includes history/biography/literature books that are correlated with the chapters.

Important credit caveat: I built this list off of a list posted online by one of the moms here who melded HO with the OUP books. So she gets credit for all the hard work!! I can't find the link to the original posting, for which I apologize, and searching isn't helping. She freely shared her original document, so I'm sure it is ok to share my version with changes, but if I can figure out where I originally got this I'd like to give credit here! It really helped me get started in planning for using HO.

So what I did was take her document, delete some of the sources (from magazines, etc.) that I don't have access to, and then add lots of supplementary books from other lists, or books that I have on my shelves. Anyway, it was a good starting point for me and it's easy to adapt to your own purposes. Things in italics are things I own, and K means it's on the kindle - most of these are from Yesterday's Classics, BTW.

Guest inoubliable

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I uploaded a file I've been working on, which includes history/biography/literature books that are correlated with the chapters.

Important credit caveat: I built this list off of a list posted online by one of the moms here who melded HO with the OUP books. So she gets credit for all the hard work!! I can't find the link to the original posting, for which I apologize, and searching isn't helping. She freely shared her original document, so I'm sure it is ok to share my version with changes, but if I can figure out where I originally got this I'd like to give credit here! It really helped me get started in planning for using HO.

So what I did was take her document, delete some of the sources (from magazines, etc.) that I don't have access to, and then add lots of supplementary books from other lists, or books that I have on my shelves. Anyway, it was a good starting point for me and it's easy to adapt to your own purposes. Things in italics are things I own, and K means it's on the kindle - most of these are from Yesterday's Classics, BTW.

I'd love to see what you've put together if you don't mind sharing. We were reading out of SOTW last year, but it wasn't meaty enough to stand on its own and our local library is really, really, really...awful. So we ended up picking up Human Odyssey and using Classical House of Learning (another WTMer's work, I believe) along with the notebook shared in the OP. In the end, we've found that SOTW just sits on the shelf. :blushing: I really want to continue with Vol 2 of HO later this year but I'm anxious about putting together my own schedule.

I'd love to see what you've put together if you don't mind sharing. We were reading out of SOTW last year, but it wasn't meaty enough to stand on its own and our local library is really, really, really...awful. So we ended up picking up Human Odyssey and using Classical House of Learning (another WTMer's work, I believe) along with the notebook shared in the OP. In the end, we've found that SOTW just sits on the shelf. :blushing: I really want to continue with Vol 2 of HO later this year but I'm anxious about putting together my own schedule.

It's uploaded on the yahoo group!

Guest inoubliable

I don't know! But I hope so! I'm hopeless at putting together stuff like that and it was sooo nice to use this year. :crying: It doesn't look like the OP is very active.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just uploaded my word document templates for Human Odyssey volume 1 to the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wtm_k12human_odyssey/info

A few years ago when we used HO vol.1 I made some worksheets for the culture questions found on page 48 and used them for each culture for the ancients part of the book. Those files got lost and I've had to re-create that idea to use this year. Last time I found that for one of my kids it worked better to ask more specific questions about a culture such as "what were the requirements to be a Roman citizen?". So this year I will tweak the templates for each unit as we go along. This year we are just studying ancient history and will stop at the fall of Rome.