Menu

quick, I need to book a reservation at a Disney resturant

oh...the ONLY resturant at the Poly had a reservation at 7:05....and we can't eat at a park or we will lose one of our days passes. Do you think it will really take more than 1 1/2 hours to get from the airport to the Poly? My in laws can go at 7 and at least claim our reservation (right as long as they have the number or whatever)?

Did you look at the GF and Contemporary too? They are close by...

P.S. Yes, I think 7 is a dream. It might happen, but it's unlikely. You need to get to the shuttle, to the check-in, to your room, to dinner....any glitch, and problems!

oh...the ONLY resturant at the Poly had a reservation at 7:05....and we can't eat at a park or we will lose one of our days passes. Do you think it will really take more than 1 1/2 hours to get from the airport to the Poly? My in laws can go at 7 and at least claim our reservation (right as long as they have the number or whatever)?

When we were at Disney, I waited for ride while my fam went ahead to the restaurant. They made everyone wait until I showed up fifteen minutes later to seat us.

If you arrive at the Poly before 9, go straight to Ohana's before you check in. Beg starvation and they will let you in as long as your party isn't huge. One doesn't always need a ressie to get in Ohana's. You could do the same thing at Kona Cafe if you want lighter fare, but you're more likley to get in at Ohana's.

Three hours from flight down to Disney check in is the safe rule of thumb.

:)

Wow, there is a bonus to staying off site then. We will travel next weekend down and it will take us, at most, 1 hour to claim our bags and take our shuttle to our place and be at dinner by 7 no problem. Disney Transport must be slow. I would have thought 7 pm to be no problem but I guess it is. Hope you have a great time!!

I agree, head to Downtown Disney on your arrival night. Tons of great options for dinner and fun and it's all right there!

Edited by iquilt
forgot something

Another easy option would be the counter service restaurant downstairs at the Polynesian. We only get Dole Whips there but the food looked OK. I can't remember what they have but Dole whips are the best.:001_smile:

if we wnet ot downtown Disney can we use our food plan tickets? BTW, do they amil those to you or do yo have tpick those up somewhere.

Yes. At many of the restaurants. Wolfgang Puck has two restaurants - one is a counter service and one is sit down. We always eat at WP CS at least once. It's that good! It's worth one CS credit.

And, you don't get tickets. All your Key To The World Cards will be your tickets to the parks, your key to the room, and they will have all your meal credits on them. As you check out of a particular restaurant, they will just take the credits off. You'll get a receipt that says how many credits they took off as well as how many you have left. It really is an efficient system!!! You'll get those cards when you check into the hotel.

what is Capt Cook's Quick service food like....would that work in a pinch??

I just checked out their menu at Allears.net. Here it is! Looks like it would definitely work!

Lunch/Dinner

11:00 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Grill closes at 11 p.m.

Sandwiches, Salads, and Stir-Fry

All sandwiches served with Asian Slaw, Chips, Steamed Vegetables, or Fries

Fish of the Day - available after 5 p.m. $10.69

Chicken Sandwich $8.99

Aloha Pork Sandwich $8.99

1/3 lb Angus Bacon Cheeseburger $8.79

Pork Nachos $7.59

Multigrain Turkey Club $9.99

Grilled Cheese Sandwich $7.99

Caesar Salad with Chicken $7.79

Polynesian Tossed Salad $8.79

Stir-Fried Noodles with Chicken $8.49

Flatbreads $6.99 - $8.79

Flatbreads served from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Cheese and Pepperoni

Hawaiian

Flatbread of the Day

Kid's Picks

All meals include a choice of two side items: carrots, applesauce, grapes

Comes with choice of 1% Mickey Milk, apple juice, or small bottled water

Cheeseburger $5.49

Grilled Cheese or Chicken Nuggets $5.49

Turkey and Cheese Sandwich $5.49

French fries, cookie or soft drink available upon request.

if we go someplace else, we will have to hop on a monorail or bus or something to go someplace else...that also take extra time. Can we eat at the airport....we will have starving, crabby kids by 9

You could see how you feel when you get there. Maybe keep the reservation at 7. IF you get there by then, use it. If it's obvious you won't make it, simply cancel and see how you feel. If you don't mind a bus ride to DD, check out Wolfgang Puck. If you just want to vege at your hotel, do the counter service there!

I would feel badly if the place is so packed and we kept our reservations, knowing that there is a really great possiblity that we won't make it.

:iagree: I wouldn't hold a table knowing we probably wouldn't make it.

When we've flown in, it usually takes no less than 2 hours to get there, as there are usually long lines for the Magic Express, PLUS check in which can add another 30-45 minutes. You won't have your meal plan until after check in as it's connected to your room key/park pass. I'd skip the reservation that night and probably eat at the airport if you're going to have hungry crabby kids.

The counter service is nice at the Poly. You can take the food out to the beach and watch the movie. We did that a few times when we didn't want sit-down reservations. :)

The counter service is nice at the Poly. You can take the food out to the beach and watch the movie. We did that a few times when we didn't want sit-down reservations. :)

This is a good idea.

If you go to Downtown Disney, Beaches and Cream and Earl of Sandwich are also good choices (witrhout reservations).

I third the Earl of Sandwich. When we do Disney on the cheap, we stay at a Downtown hotel, walk to Downtown Disney and split a sandwich there. Fabulous food! It's on the dining plan, too, just so you know. They have great live music all over Downtown Disney. It's a lot of fun, like a street party at night. :)

when we were there last, I went on the attached hot air balloom in Downtown Disney. I was the only one in the family that would go on it, those chickens. Actually I have always wanted to go on a real hot air trip and parasailing but dh said NO that I could not, he thinks it is too risky. I wanted to go parasailing on our honeymoon and he said no. Anyway, it was just me, dd and sil that night at Downtown Disney and I just decided to go. Dh was not happy but good gosh, the thing is attached to the dock by a steel cable, the worse that could have happened was I would have fallen out, just joking. I mean it was on Disney property, I don't think it was that risky and I really enjoyed it Maybe when I am really old and about to die anyway and dh is tired of me, then he will let me go on a real hot air balloon ride lol.

p.s. Dh will not even go on Soarin, I went on it 3 times last trip

when we were there last, I went on the attached hot air balloom in Downtown Disney. I was the only one in the family that would go on it, those chickens. Actually I have always wanted to go on a real hot air trip and parasailing but dh said NO that I could not, he thinks it is too risky. I wanted to go parasailing on our honeymoon and he said no. Anyway, it was just me, dd and sil that night at Downtown Disney and I just decided to go. Dh was not happy but good gosh, the thing is attached to the dock by a steel cable, the worse that could have happened was I would have fallen out, just joking. I mean it was on Disney property, I don't think it was that risky and I really enjoyed it Maybe when I am really old and about to die anyway and dh is tired of me, then he will let me go on a real hot air balloon ride lol.

p.s. Dh will not even go on Soarin, I went on it 3 times last trip

ACK! No Soarin'? Wow, chicken. I'm a chicken, too. I finally went on the Tower of Terror with my oldest in May. :) We wanted to go on the hot air balloon at Downtown Disney, but it was always too windy when we were there. :( I didn't know it was always attached. Good to know.

ACK! No Soarin'? Wow, chicken. I'm a chicken, too. I finally went on the Tower of Terror with my oldest in May. :) We wanted to go on the hot air balloon at Downtown Disney, but it was always too windy when we were there. :( I didn't know it was always attached. Good to know.

Agree!!! Chicken! Jeannie - Tell your dh that my then-4yo went on Soarin!!! :)

I'm a chicken. I admit it. I went on Soarin'. I'm way too scared to do ToT!!! I sent my then-4 yo on it with my then 14 yo ds!!!! I was biting my nails the entire time. Dd is a little daredevil and LOVED it!

They did close the balloon ride. Apparently there was an incident on it at one of the other Disney properties. Shhhhhhh. Don't tell your chicken dh!!!

And, my dh took my 16 yo for his birthday on a hot air balloon ride!!!! A real one - it wasn't teathered! They LOVED it! Absolutely loved it! I say do it!

ETA: Here is one video my dh took while they were up:

There are a number of videos. Check them out!

Edited by Jennifer in MI

Just got back from the Poly and I didn't see any key card type of system there.

They have you use you KTTW card in the gate to pop it open. At least the last time I was there. LOL But who knows, things change. Awhile ago they were actually using wrist bands. I guess that was a bit impractical though...duh, who wants to bother with wristbands of all things. :lol:

They have you use you KTTW card in the gate to pop it open. At least the last time I was there. LOL But who knows, things change. Awhile ago they were actually using wrist bands. I guess that was a bit impractical though...duh, who wants to bother with wristbands of all things. :lol:

Wow, guess they're not sure what they want to do. :lol: We stay there once a year, then always go there the other few time of the year to eat a meal, swim, and watch a movie on the beach. We've never had anyone ask us to show them anything, and have never seen a gate. They have the best flatbread hawaiian pizza and nachos.. YUM!

You know what, I'm sorry, I was thinking of the pool at AKL. They made us use our KTTW card last time we were there. I'm not sure what they're doing at the Poly...at least not recently. LOL Although I did hear they tried the wristbands, but they didn't work. :lol: I guess a lot of people try to get into the volcano pool and resort guests were complaining. However, I've always liked the quiet pools at the Poly better than the volcano pool. They're so...quiet. :D

Only storm along bay right now requires wrist bands just to use the pool. Poly does it sometimes in peak seasons.

The wrist bands are in the test stages. If all goes well, they will one day replace the KTTW card, tickets, fast pass, etc. I can just imagine the line for the little ones who lose/remove those to get replacements.

You know what, I'm sorry, I was thinking of the pool at AKL. They made us use our KTTW card last time we were there. I'm not sure what they're doing at the Poly...at least not recently. LOL Although I did hear they tried the wristbands, but they didn't work. :lol: I guess a lot of people try to get into the volcano pool and resort guests were complaining. However, I've always liked the quiet pools at the Poly better than the volcano pool. They're so...quiet. :D

I was thinking, I can't see them doing that at the Poly now because they sell kits for s'mores for $4, so they make money off people. :D

Good to know about AKL since we are heading there next month. We've never stayed there.

I was thinking, I can't see them doing that at the Poly now because they sell kits for s'mores for $4, so they make money off people. :D

Good to know about AKL since we are heading there next month. We've never stayed there.

Oh, you will LOVE it!! It's so beautiful...I really hope I can stay there again sometime. We're seriously contemplating buying DVC, and I'd love to stay in one of their villas! I also really want to stay in Bay Lake Tower...Magic Kingdom view. I hear that is absolutely amazing to sit on your balcony and watch Wishes at night.

Oh, you will LOVE it!! It's so beautiful...I really hope I can stay there again sometime. We're seriously contemplating buying DVC, and I'd love to stay in one of their villas! I also really want to stay in Bay Lake Tower...Magic Kingdom view. I hear that is absolutely amazing to sit on your balcony and watch Wishes at night.

Test drive a villa. It is so much fun.

Only storm along bay right now requires wrist bands just to use the pool. Poly does it sometimes in peak seasons.

The wrist bands are in the test stages. If all goes well, they will one day replace the KTTW card, tickets, fast pass, etc. I can just imagine the line for the little ones who lose/remove those to get replacements.

Oh, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! We've never been to the Poly during peak season. We've never been to DisneyWorld during peak season. That's why we homeschool. :D

My youngest saw the pictures of the new Animation Resort while I was making dining reservations. She's drooling to stay there. I'm not so sure. Bay Lake Tower with a Magic Kingdom view sounds lovely!

We bought into DVC in 2007 and so far have stayed at AKL-Jambo House (the original building with hotel rooms and villas), AKL-Kidani Village (all villas), Boardwalk (just one night), Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake Towers (with MK view! Only 3 nights though), and this year Disneyland Hotel (used points for a regular hotel room).

I could live at Kidani Village :D I love sitting on the balcony with my feet up, book in hand, coffee/iced tea/adult beverage nearby, watching the animals wander by, enjoying the quiet :)

Bay Lake Towers was nice for the location but the kids didn't like the decor. I didn't mind it. I also liked how the living room widened toward the window wall----it's like a pie wedge because the building curves. We watched the fireworks from the balcony all three nights we were there. The master bathroom wasn't as nice as the Kidani one.

We only stay in 1bedroom villas because we have a modest number of points. Our travel times are tied to the academic calendar, which means 2 bedroom villas are very point-spendy. The girls share the pullout couch and ds gets the pullout chair (at AKL and Bay Lake the 1bedrooms sleep 5----as a DVC member you can have 5 in the other 1 bedrooms but there isn't any bedding).

Test drive a villa. It is so much fun.

We bought into DVC in 2007 and so far have stayed at AKL-Jambo House (the original building with hotel rooms and villas), AKL-Kidani Village (all villas), Boardwalk (just one night), Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake Towers (with MK view! Only 3 nights though), and this year Disneyland Hotel (used points for a regular hotel room).

I could live at Kidani Village :D I love sitting on the balcony with my feet up, book in hand, coffee/iced tea/adult beverage nearby, watching the animals wander by, enjoying the quiet :)

Bay Lake Towers was nice for the location but the kids didn't like the decor. I didn't mind it. I also liked how the living room widened toward the window wall----it's like a pie wedge because the building curves. We watched the fireworks from the balcony all three nights we were there. The master bathroom wasn't as nice as the Kidani one.

We only stay in 1bedroom villas because we have a modest number of points. Our travel times are tied to the academic calendar, which means 2 bedroom villas are very point-spendy. The girls share the pullout couch and ds gets the pullout chair (at AKL and Bay Lake the 1bedrooms sleep 5----as a DVC member you can have 5 in the other 1 bedrooms but there isn't any bedding).

I think we're going to try a villa pretty soon. I would love it!!

We're a family of five, so we're going to be in the higher end of the points range, too. Unless we book AKL or BLT, we're always going to have to get a two bedroom villa, so I'm thinking we're going to need 300 points or so on a contract. I'm thinking that with needing that many points, we'll probably buy into Saratoga Springs as our home resort. Their points are much cheaper than BLT on the resale market. Can you see that I've been doing research? :D

So, DVC people, fill me in if you have good advice!! I'd love to hear it!

I think we're going to try a villa pretty soon. I would love it!!

We're a family of five, so we're going to be in the higher end of the points range, too. Unless we book AKL or BLT, we're always going to have to get a two bedroom villa, so I'm thinking we're going to need 300 points or so on a contract. I'm thinking that with needing that many points, we'll probably buy into Saratoga Springs as our home resort. Their points are much cheaper than BLT on the resale market. Can you see that I've been doing research? :D

So, DVC people, fill me in if you have good advice!! I'd love to hear it!

OKW has the sleeper chairs too now, so it's also an option for you. If you go via resale, there's a limitation on the program these days, but to most folks it doesn't matter. The best use of DVC points is to use them for the villas. You get that ability with buying resale. What you don't get is the "plusses" to the program, which generally, dollar for point, don't work out as a great deal anyway.

Do your breakeven analysis carefully. Personally, a loaded resale at an older resort may be way more cost effective than a new one at BLT or the Grand Floridian.

what, they closed the hot air balloon, what happened in "the incident"?

A balloon attraction in Hong Kong, run by the same company that runs Disney's balloons, sprung a leak and plunged to the ground. Fortunately, there were only minor injuries, but all the Characters In Flight balloons have been grounded until further notice as a result.

Do your breakeven analysis carefully. Personally, a loaded resale at an older resort may be way more cost effective than a new one at BLT or the Grand Floridian.

The analysis can be quite confusing, but there are several good boards out there with people willing to help out.

OKW has the sleeper chairs too now, so it's also an option for you. If you go via resale, there's a limitation on the program these days, but to most folks it doesn't matter. The best use of DVC points is to use them for the villas. You get that ability with buying resale. What you don't get is the "plusses" to the program, which generally, dollar for point, don't work out as a great deal anyway.

That's what I was thinking. We're not interested in using points for a cruise or an Adventures by Disney trip...the amount of points they're asking for those is ridiculous. It would be cheaper to pay out of pocket. So, all we're really interested in would be the villas at WDW or Disneyland. We're also not opposed to using them at Disney's Vero Beach, Hilton Head or Aulani resorts either. :D Checking the points charts, those seem very reasonably "priced". Of course, Aulani's points are expensive, but that's to be expected.

On the resale market, OKW is going for an average of $55 per point and Saratoga for about $63. BLT is around $91 per point. So all things being equal, we'd get much more bang for our buck at OKW as a home resort. And points are just points with DVC, right? Except for the ability to book at your home resort earlier than at others, they're all the same? Or have I missed something? LOL