Menu

Liberal radio talk shows--do they exist?

I don't want to start a debate. I'm just curious if there are any liberal radio talk shows like the conservative ones. I am generally conservative, but don't much care for the "spin"--despite the "no spin" claims. Plus, I like hard, concrete facts which sometimes is omitted in the talk show format.

We have a good friend who likes to talk politics and bases all his views on conservative radio. I thought it would be interesting to listen to the other side of things to get a different perspective, if such a thing exists.

I listen to the Diane Rehm show sometimes--when I can get past the grating sound of her voice. I'd agree that she is moderate with a liberal slant like most of the programs/people on NPR. I think the most liberal I've heard is Daniel Schorr. I change the station when he comes on for both the annoying overly liberal slant and his extremely annoying voice. Once in a while Terri Gross makes an obnoxious comment, but I usually just roll my eyes at that and move on. Truly liberal program? I don't know of one, but I haven't been looking. I like moderate.

If you're looking for truly liberal talk shows, then NPR isn't what you're looking for. NPR is moderate with a bit of a liberal slant. My friend listens to her liberal talk shows via satelight radio.
Uh huh. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, and we have a bit wider political spectrum to the left, but I don't see a liberal slant on NPR.

her voice and delivery make me CRAZY!! Just can't listen to her!!!!

Did you know (you probably do) that she suffers from spasmodic dysphonia and (I think) gets periodic botox injections into her vocal cords for it?

It may not make it any easier to listen to, but, then again, it might, if it throws a little light on the shakiness and hesitancy of her voice.

News and Notes on public radio with Farai Chedeya. She's articulate, down-to-earth, intelligent, funny and young. Refreshing. I'm sure I'm not spelling her name right.

It has a forum format which I enjoyed., with an African-American bent. I hope it's still on. I used to listen to it last year in the evenings about 7-8 on public radio.

Most of the opinions are liberal, but there was always someone in the forum who disagreed with the others. Quite lively.

http://www.ringoffireradio.com/

http://www.alternet.org/about/index.html

These might be of some interest.

I started looking for alternative news sources after having our cable shut off.

I absolutely could not handle more than 5 minutes of the "news".

ie: ranting about subjects, but void of facts OR celebrity gossip.

Exactly when did we start caring more about Brad and Angelina than what is happening in the world and our country?????

It's just the same phrases over and over and over and, well, you know what I mean.

I'm not saying that I endorse everything that you'll read or hear on these websites.

If I did, I wouldn't be able to think for myself~

Dawanna

Did you know (you probably do) that she suffers from spasmodic dysphonia and (I think) gets periodic botox injections into her vocal cords for it?

It may not make it any easier to listen to, but, then again, it might, if it throws a little light on the shakiness and hesitancy of her voice.

Wow - no Grace, I didn't. That does shed light -

Thanks for sharing!

I like NPR because although it has a liberal slant, it is more even than FOX. There are certain programs and commentators that don't try to be so unbiased though. Terri Gross and Daniel Shore come to mind. There are others, but I can't remember their names.

Caveat: Daniel Shore is a commentator, so his pieces are editorials and not really expected to be unbiased.

Terry Gross is less newsy. She does a lot of film reviews, actor interviews, that kind of thing.

Air America hosts Janeane Garofalo's show, and a bunch of others, I think. You could probably get them as podcasts. As far as an actual liberal pundit, I think that's your best bet. Most of NPR's weekend shows are themed, and either very journalistic (On the Media), or humorous (Car Talk, Prairie Home Companion). They have Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, and that's liberal, newsy and humorous, but it's a news quiz show, not a talk show like Rush Limbaugh.

I agree that NPR has a liberal slant, but I also find them to be the most in-depth and intelligent American news coverage I have access to (I also listen to the CBC and BBC). I tend to think of them as populist rather than liberal. They seem to have really pumped up their regional/state coverage as well, and I've been very impressed. I've all but given up on television news, particularly cable. I think the pressure to provide 24 hour coverage of every major event leads to sensationalism.

There is a talk show on NPR - the Diane Rehm show -

But honestly -

Regardless of content, her voice and delivery make me CRAZY!! Just can't listen to her!!!!

Amen, sister. If your voice is *that* quavery, I'm sorry, but it's time to hang up your microphone. And her show on homeschooling was beyond lame. So superficial, and dumb questions were her only contribution. She didn't give the guests enough time to really say anything substantive.

Whew. I didn't realize I was holding all that in. :chillpill:

OK, I'm better now. :D

Yes! Actually that does make a big difference! I'm so glad I looked back at this thread. I only recently learned that spasmodic dysphonia exists and what it is. Now I feel a bit ashamed. I can get so irritated by the quirks and foibles of people in the public eye, but I would never be nearly so judgmental of average folks I meet on the street. Why is that? They are people too, for Pete's sake. Thank you for pointing this out.

Now, anything you can tell me to help me with my aversion to Daniel Schorr? I'm afraid it's much more than his voice, though.

NPR is a national treasure, and one of the best news sources in this country. I don't see their news as having a *slant*.

Air America, the left's answer to Rush, I found as intolerable as his show. I'm not too keen on blovating gas-bags from either the right or the left and their MO of generating more "heat than light".

There is one very serious and intelligent radio-program which has a firm left-progressive stance called "Democracy Now" with Amy Goodman. This is a great "thinking persons" show with a critique than is rare in the American media. Worth checking ot enven if one is conservative to moderate just to get a "different take on things.

http://www.democracynow.org/

NPR is a national treasure, and one of the best news sources in this country. I don't see their news as having a *slant*.

Air America, the left's answer to Rush, I found as intolerable as his show. I'm not too keen on blovating gas-bags from either the right or the left and their MO of generating more "heat than light".

There is one very serious and intelligent radio-program which has a firm left-progressive stance called "Democracy Now" with Amy Goodman. This is a great "thinking persons" show with a critique than is rare in the American media. Worth checking ot enven if one is conservative to moderate just to get a "different take on things.

http://www.democracynow.org/

:iagree: