Menu

motion sickness and airplanes

I get motion sickness in the car, on a boat, in a plane and even playing some video games....lol. I don't always get motion sickness in the car if I am sitting in the front seat and if the driver don't drive like a lunatic or if we are not driving on a curvy road. However, I always get motion sickness in the plane/boat....every time!

I don't take Dramamine anymore, I take Bonine which doesn't make me drowsy. Bonine is a Godsend to me because since finding it, I have been able to enjoy being on a plane with my family.

HTH

Julia

I have severe motion sickness. Make sure you take Dramamine well before the flight, check the label.

I have utilized that paper bag in flight more than I care to remember.

Best tips:

Window seat, I don't fly unless I can look out the window

Turn on the air immediately and leave it on. You need something blowing on you

Drink 7up or Sprite in flight - I limit what I eat before, no big meals and I limit coffee and water (we usually fly in the mornings).

Try not to get up, moving around upsets the balance for me- obviously if it's a longer flight you'll need to

Chew gum when taking off and landing. I use doublemint

If I've taken the correct dose of Dramamine I can read in flight. I do need to have that motion out the window. I love to watch clouds. I can eat too.

I tried just using C-bands once, it was a disaster.

I can't even read a map in the car or look at the gps on my phone. Plane rides are much easier for me as long as I take my Dramamine.

Bonine (I bought the RiteAid equivalent) was a god-send this summer for dd12! She gets carsick on curvy mountain roads but with it, she felt nothing at all. She even read! So on the flight home she took the bonine and was able to look out the windows :)

She prefers to sit on the aisle while flying. For her, the visual clues (plane tilting etc) actually make her tummy worse.

Our daughter gets motion sickness in the car. Does that mean she will have trouble in an airplane too? Even with dramimine, she can't read or anything (in the car) and she is hoping it will be different in a plane.

Any expereince with that??

I am a barf queen. I get car sick, air sick, boat sick. I was carsick even as a baby, and it's continued for 45 yeras. I threw up dramamine. If it were a profession, I would be rich.

Buy Sea Bandz for your dd. They should be at any drugstore, Walgreens, CVS, etc. right with the motion sickness meds. They fit like bracelets, putting pressure on a specific point in your wrist area. They are drug free. The box says they are only good for a couple of uses, but that's not true at all. Mine lasted four years, and then I gave them to a friend. I *never* got sick when I used them, not even that queasy feeling.

They are about $10 for the pair. When I was traveling with just my dd, they were a lifesaver. She'd have been mortified if I'd puked on the plane. (I even did it on a school bus field trip when she was little, lol.)

I am a barf queen. I get car sick, air sick, boat sick. I was carsick even as a baby, and it's continued for 45 yeras. I threw up dramamine. If it were a profession, I would be rich.

Buy Sea Bandz for your dd. They should be at any drugstore, Walgreens, CVS, etc. right with the motion sickness meds. They fit like bracelets, putting pressure on a specific point in your wrist area. They are drug free. The box says they are only good for a couple of uses, but that's not true at all. Mine lasted four years, and then I gave them to a friend. I *never* got sick when I used them, not even that queasy feeling.

They are about $10 for the pair. When I was traveling with just my dd, they were a lifesaver. She'd have been mortified if I'd puked on the plane. (I even did it on a school bus field trip when she was little, lol.)

That is interesting, because they do nothing for me. I've tried them continually, they only work on mild car trips. The first flight I used them on was awful. I felt sick for two days afterward after using the barf bag.

I wonder if there are different kinds of motion sickness? It would be interesting to study. I'm 45 and spent most of my childhood riding in the front seat.

I get motion sickness in the car, on a boat, in a plane and even playing some video games....lol. I don't always get motion sickness in the car if I am sitting in the front seat and if the driver don't drive like a lunatic or if we are not driving on a curvy road. However, I always get motion sickness in the plane/boat....every time!

I don't take Dramamine anymore, I take Bonine which doesn't make me drowsy. Bonine is a Godsend to me because since finding it, I have been able to enjoy being on a plane with my family.

HTH

Julia

I need to buy Bonine apparently. I always get sick without Dramamine, when flying, and the Dramamine makes me feel so awful - even the non-drowsy.

I need to buy Bonine apparently. I always get sick without Dramamine, when flying, and the Dramamine makes me feel so awful - even the non-drowsy.

Before kids, I would take Dramamine when I was on the plane and I would be knocked out for a good 8 hours but now that I have 2 kids, that is just not an option anymore. Out of desperation, I did some research online and found many people who take cruises recommended Bonine instead of Dramamine. I tried Bonine the night before my plane trip by playing a video game that would normally make feel nauseated and it didn't. Ever since then, I have been taking Bonine and felt great on the plane or on curvy road.

Hope Bonine helps you as well.

Julia

I have motion sickness and don't usually get nauseous on a plane. I've felt a little woozy before, but nothing too bad. What usually helps me is making sure the air is blowing right on me. I can't read in a car either, but I'm fine on a plane.

:iagree: Me too! Also with me, I tend to get woozy/headachey with the air pressure changes so take-off, turbulence, and hitting airpockets bother me.

My DH gets carsick, boat sick, but not air sick. I have no problems in cars, or on boats, but get air sick. If this is your daughter's first time flying, I would give her motion sickness medicine to be safe. If she gets up in the air and starts to feel sick, it is already too late for the meds to help. Another word of caution is to pay close attention to the signs for the rides at Disney. Some of them can trigger my DH and then he feels miserable for the rest of the day.

My DH gets carsick, boat sick, but not air sick. I have no problems in cars, or on boats, but get air sick. If this is your daughter's first time flying, I would give her motion sickness medicine to be safe. If she gets up in the air and starts to feel sick, it is already too late for the meds to help. Another word of caution is to pay close attention to the signs for the rides at Disney. Some of them can trigger my DH and then he feels miserable for the rest of the day.

:lol::lol: I am the official bag holder at any amusement park. I just don't do roller coasters anymore. My sister and I had summer passes to a local park and she would drag me on everything. One summer I spent more time in the nurses station than anywhere else. Finally I learned to just tell her no.

Another thing I discovered triggered my motion sickness was boogie boarding in the ocean. I was so bummed. I can play in the water and float on a board, but trying to ride the waves makes me sick.

I have pretty severe motion sickness, suffered with it all my life but it has gotten worse the past 10 years. I now pretty much always drive everywhere- I can tolerate a good driver if I am in the front seat, but I do better if I am driving. I can't sit on a swing anymore... I was driving through the mountains a few years ago and had to pull over to throw up, and I was driving!

those ear patches changed my life, you need a prescription. I now go on cruises and planes without fear and can read on a plane. Dromimine helped a tiny bit, I still couldn't read, and it made me really drowsy. I love those ear patches. Ask your Dr. about them, the first time I took them, I was pregnant and my OB prescribed them.