Menu

Double take words -bucolic and other words that don't look right

There are certain words whose definitions I know but still give me pause every time I read them. These words just don't look like they should mean what they do.

Bucolic - always looks like it should mean "plague-ridden" to me.

Nonplussed - I'm always nonplussed when I remember that this word doesn't mean bored, uninterested, etc.

Add your favorite double take words.

Nonplussed - I'm always nonplussed when I remember that this word doesn't mean bored, uninterested, etc.

:lol: so true!

I can't think of any off the top of my head, probably because I do know the definitions, so it only pops up when I'm reading along and have to consciously adjust the meaning.

Oh! Puce! I have to consciously readjust my mental image from a yucky yellow-green-brown every.single.time.

Oh, just thought of another: spendthrift. I always have to remind myself that person is not thrifty despite what the word says.

Totally agree with puce. Wins hands down for the worst sounding color.

Precocious is one of those words that I "hear" wrong when I'm reading it.Kinda like endoscopy - I always read it endo-scope-y rather than the correct way.

Mine is more of a spelling issue:

Grateful - makes me think of things grating on my nerves - so I don't feel very grateful when I read that word

OTOH

Greatful (which is wrong, but the way I want to spell it) implies that things are great, or I am aware of God's greatness.

I just think we should change the spelling. :)

There are certain words whose definitions I know but still give me pause every time I read them. These words just don't look like they should mean what they do.

Add your favorite double take words.

:iagree:and I had to go google to remember what nonplussed does mean. :blushing: and on the google rabbit trail, I found this article from Slate - The Nonplussed Problem.

Misled. It looks like My-zld to me. It took me ages, as a child, to work out that it was made up of two bits that I already understood and could pronounce.

Laura

Great. I had never thought this, and from now on I will always say it in my head and think of you. ;)

I had a good one, but I forgot it. :tongue_smilie:

sanguine- how in the world can this mean cheerful?

sartorial- why do I always think of the stereotypical evil villain with oily hair, a pointed beard and thin moustache?

No kidding. So, when one exsanguinates, they run out of nice? "Rope off the crime scene, Ed, there's a huge pool of cheer we need the forensic cleaning team to deal with." :confused:

It's the top hat that's throwing you. :D

sanguine- how in the world can this mean cheerful?

sartorial- why do I always think of the stereotypical evil villain with oily hair, a pointed beard and thin moustache?

Yours reminded me of another one: phlegmatic. Should mean someone coughing up a lung, not a cool, calm character.

Yours reminded me of another one: phlegmatic. Should mean someone coughing up a lung, not a cool, calm character.

Just because one thousand years ago people who were ruddy were assumed to be optimistic and those afflicted with phlegm to be slow to rouse doesn't mean that it makes any sense now.

Laura

Misled. It looks like My-zld to me. It took me ages, as a child, to work out that it was made up of two bits that I already understood and could pronounce.

Laura

I was over 30 before I figured this out. My best friend was visiting for a week at the time, and she and DH had no end of fun ribbing me.

Infrared always gets me. In fra RED, not in-frared. ugh. Mirth doesn't look like it should mean amusement. How about "gaiety" - that doesn't look right at all. Oh, and harbinger and amalgamated stop me in my tracks every time.

And don't you hate when a word is written (or you say it) over and over and it just loses all meaning and looks totally wrong? This happened to me recently with the word "traffic". It eventually felt more like an adjective.

And don't you hate when a word is written (or you say it) over and over and it just loses all meaning and looks totally wrong? This happened to me recently with the word "traffic". It eventually felt more like an adjective.

Say the word "work" several times. I swear it loses all meaning.

yes, even one's own name. Or stare at yourself in the mirror for a few minutes.

Frightening!

But maybe that's just me. ;)