Menu

Minor in Math? Double Major? Is it worth it?

mom2bee

There is a note on my degree outline that says with a few more classes, a math minor is possible. My degree requires up to Calculus 3 and Linear Algebra.

For the math minor, I've looked into it and I would need Differential Equations, Advanced Calculus I, and 3 more math classes. (Why do they say a "few" It takes 5 classes BEYOND Calculus 3)

I'm considering going for it, and if the Minor goes well I may even go for the double major in mathematical science because its only about 4 extra classes and a seminar to have it. However, I'm going to take this whole thing one semester at a time.

I'm considering grad school in either Computer Science (Robotics) or possibly (Math Education). I don't want to go straight from my Bachelors to Grad School. I wan't to work for a few years first.

I had intended to finish my CS major ASAP, but it looks like that won't be an option I need to get a job and I need to work 3/4 time if not full time. It may take me 3.5 years to finish so I could add some classes each semester and get them both....

I did it, and I'm glad I did. If you're taking Calc III already, DiffEq is not terribly difficult. ACalc is more theoretical, probably the hardest class you've listed. I took some really fun math classes for my "electives". Math Modeling and some other more applied stuff. Fourier transforms was fun too. If you like linear algebra I'd see if they have anything related to Boundary Value Problems, that had a lot of LA in it. If you're looking toward Robotics I'd see if they have any programming or computer math stuff that would count. In my school most CompSci courses could count toward at least some of your math minor.

But then, I probably should have been a math major. Math was my favorite college subject. I just didn't figure that out until I was a Senior. :-D

I have a bachelors in computer science and a minor in math. The extra math classes came in handy when I was getting my masters degree (also comp sci).

If you want a longer-term payoff .... I get serious "cool mom" points now because I could hold my own in a conversation with DS20 about his classes. He just finished Diff Eq and is on into hydrostatic engineering this semester.

I'm really getting more and more interested in this possibility. The Math minor (or major) doesn't seem so far fetched at this point... I've counted them up and its 32 classes (that includes labs and seminars) to graduate with a DOUBLE major in Math and Computer Science....7 semesters maximum...

Fall 2012 | Spr. 2013 | Summer 2013 | Fall 2013 | Spring 2014 | Summer 2014 | Fall 2014

I could probably finish FASTER than that. Especially if I'm unable to work as much as I want...Online classes aren't an option at this point. Right now I have 4 classes. I may try and pick up a 5th to round out this semester a little more. That will leave me with 27 classes for 2013 and beyond...

I have a couple of friends who are Math majors, I'll try and talk to them more about it in the Fall semester. But can you tell that I'm getting excited at the prospect?

My husband started out with a physics major, and halfway through he decided to pick up math and graduate with a double major. He went on to get his PhD in math, and math is now his career.

I ended up with two bachelor's degrees-- one in linguistics, and one in biology, with emphases in acquisition of language, computer programming, and human genetics (LOL and research experience in PT...). Unbelievably, I found a job on a research project looking at the genetics of speech delays, on a collaboration between a geneticist who knew little linguistics and a speech guy who knew no genetics, and they needed someone who could run genetic tests, analyze speech patterns, knew how to work with human subjects, and could program an SQL database, and was in my home town. My job interview was quite short.

In short, go for it. You never know what opportunities you could open up for yourself, and mathematics is in very high demand. I know mathematicians who work in everything from programming to education to marketing.

My major (through PhD) was Materials Science and Engineering. I did a math minor as an undergrad. It has allowed me to be a high school math teacher and teach undergrad and grad level math classes for math ed majors at the local university. I only needed one course beyond what my major required of me in math. (I am also one class shy of a physics minor. Sure wish I had done that.)