Menu

How to Schedule Chalkdust Algebra 2 - paralyzed - Please help!

Hi,

I am trying to schedule chalkdust Algebra 2 - how????? My child tends to be slow in math, so I need some idea of how others have done it so that I can hold her feet to the fire enough to get through the material. Does anyone have a schedule, or a written record of which problems were done on certain days. I am doing this for another student as well as my own, so I don't feel like it can be as flexible as I usually am - I can't just see how it goes because someone else is depending on me too. Please help me! I thought I would be able to do this easily, but I am absolutely hitting a roadblock and panicking.

Thanks for any help!

Jen

I looked but could not find my daughter's CD Algebra II schedule. Here is how I came up with it, though:

1. Divide the chapters into semesters, with half plus one allocated to the first semester, and the remainder for the second. If there are eight chapters, I aim for 5 in the first semester and 3 in the second. The first chapter is often heavy on review, so I figure she can go through that faster. Plus, it gets more done while she is fresh at the beginning of a new school year.

2. Manually count the number of sections in each semester. Then count the number of school days in the semester and figure out how many days you can allocate to each section. From the number of school days in each semester, I subtract "catch-up days," i.e., a day or two every two or three weeks that can be used for catching up. I usually do not subtract test or study-for-test days, as we end up with plenty of days for each section, so they can be worked into the schedule.

3. Using a spreadsheet or calendar of some sort, and a rough idea of how many days you can allocate to each section (I think it usually comes to 3 or 4), I just start writing in assignments, such as:

Day 1: Watch video.

Day 2: First half of problems, every other odd (sometimes I put this on Day 1 if the video is short--the materials have a list of the length of each video)

Day 2 or 3: Second half of problems, every other odd.

One or two days every couple of weeks: catch-up day.

If there is a geometry or cumulative review (I can't remember if there is or not in Alg II), I schedule those as well.

At the end of each chapter, I schedule a day or two for studying for the test and then the test.

I have scheduled every CD program from pre-algebra through Calculus exactly like this, and it has worked out to the day every single time. I sit down to do it with nothing more than a calendar, the book's table of contents and the list of videos. I do not look beyond the TOC when scheduling, so if there are more problems in a chapter than normal, tough!

Terri

3. Then roughly

My ds found the first 3 chapters were review so he completed the chapter tests for those, then started w/ chap 4.

We never plan the math out too much ahead, just jump in and keep working until it's complete.

He struggled w/circles in both chap 9 and 10. Had to return to these sections to review.

Used http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/algtrig/math-algtrig.htm

along with other math sites when needed.

Took SAT Math Subject Test I afterwards and felt well prepared.