Menu

VP Self-Paced Course Free Trial

MrsBanjoClown

I thought I would try out the 14 day free trial from VP for their Ancient History course. I got my ds7 set up and we went through the tutorial and the first lesson. Now, we do not have the cards. We were just testing it out to see what we thought. He went through the first lesson and came to the "worksheet" at the end of the lesson. He was answering the questions after listening to the lesson one time, and without cards to look back at. He missed 3 out of 9 (the first one he went too quickly and picked Exodus 1-2 instead of Genesis 1-2, then he mixed up day 4 and day 5). After he submitted his answers, his score came up in huge numbers and a giant red "FAILED" covered the screen. Seriously? Do they have to scream out that the child did not answer all of the questions correctly like that? I just found it strange that they would do something like that. He started crying. I just don't get why they had to put a big red "FAILED" on the screen. He still likes the lessons, and went ahead and did lesson 2 (no worksheet), but it bothered me.

I didn't notice that because DD answered all the questions in the first lesson correctly (I did assist a bit for the one about day 4 and 5:-P). She did make a mistake in the second lesson, but maybe it wasn't a quiz? I was cooking dinner and not paying too much attention. It doesn't seem developmentally appropriate at that age to do that (the big red failed). It certainly doesn't seem kind.

My dd has never failed any of the tests, so that wasn't an issue in our house. Email them and tell them your perspective. I'll suggest though that the real answer is to improve how he's interacting with the course. He's on the young end and isn't engaging with it fully yet. He may need to start taking notes, hitting the pause button more, etc. My dd does.

OTAE was also the earliest course they did. My dd has done all of them now except OTAE, and she has commented on the improvements and progression as she went through them. They basically got better and better. It's possible that is not even an issue in later courses.

In the meantime, I would sit with him a few lessons, help him to focus, give him a little notebook to take notes, etc. He's young and he's going into a pretty rigorous course. He doesn't need the cards to succeed, but he will need to focus and possibly take notes or employ other study techniques to suit his best learning style.

Thank you for your responses. I was just a little shocked when I posted this. I think that I didn't prepare him enough for that, since we are just using the trial version. I didn't know what to expect from it either. This is a child that is used to making an A on everything, so I think it shocked us both. He got all the other questions asked in lesson 2 and lesson 3 correct, and I am not using the grade for anything, but he is just upset about it.