Menu

Do you think eating microwaved food can cause cancer?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Does eating microwaved food cause cancer  

1. 1. Does eating microwaved food cause cancer

• yes
    • no
    • maybe

Guest Virginia Dawn

I read this recently and I know some friends who got rid of their microwave. Do you think there is any reason to believe this is true?

Edited: Ok, those who voted maybe, does the possibility affect whether or not you use a microwave?

I know I'm sort of breaking a board rule, but would someone explain why my asking this question is bad? For the life of me I can't figure out how it could have offended anyone.

(Thanks HSB)

Yes, but I think a lot of things in our modernized society can cause cancer. I still do occasionally use my microwave to reheat things, but if it breaks (unlikely to happen soon, since I use it so rarely), I won't be running out to buy a new one.

I think it's possible. We put ours in the garage last September and I haven't really missed it.

I read a bit about it back then (because of the boards) and didn't know what to think. This was during ds6's bone marrow biopsies, and I decided with all of his health problems that using a microwave wasn't worth the possible risks to our health, no matter how small.

No. The way a microwave oven works is this: The microwaves are released inside the oven, they hit the food and bounce off. When they hit the food, they cause the water molecules in the food to vibrate. The faster a water molecule vibrates, the hotter it gets. When it gets hot, the water molecule makes the rest of the molecules in the food hot as well, before evaporating. The evaporated water causes condensation on the covering that you used over your food when cooking in the microwave oven.

The microwaves do not stay in the food. They don't chemically change the food. They only disturb the water molecules. There are microwaves traveling through space all the time, the microwave oven only concentrates them. There is more danger in being hit by traveling microwaves than in eating the food cooked in the microwave oven. However, the amount of radiation actually released by a microwave oven is less than your television.

HTH!

The end of MacDonalds....

that'd be a good thing, tho.

Dont' know how many burgers I ate there (or threw away) because it was obviously microwaved, LOL.

Kim

I read this recently and I know some friends who got rid of their microwave. Do you think there is any reason to believe this is true?

Edited: Ok, those who voted maybe, does the possibility affect whether or not you use a microwave?

I know I'm sort of breaking a board rule, but would someone explain why my asking this question is bad? For the life of me I can't figure out how it could have offended anyone.

Good point. I mean, come on folks: They say lasagna causes cancer. And if you use aluminum foil, you're giving yourself alzheimer's.

I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet. I think we'd be better off not standing right in front of a micro while it's cooking, maybe, and stay out of the sun.

Kim

This article has an excellent, reasoned approach to the issue. I'd worry more about excessive sun exposure and grilling food than microwaves.

The article also has some excellent tips on safe microwaving (e.g., no plastic yogurt containers in the microwave.)

Janet

I voted maybe, but I don't particularly care if microwaves cause cancer. We don't have one in our house. We don't miss it at all.

I do use one at the office, since it is convenient. I don't hesitate to eat "nuked" food. But I'm not fond of it.

There's all sorts of stuff being "published" on the web, a tremendous amount of it by people who either have something to sell, are basing their conclusions on faulty research, or are just conspiracy-prone. I ignore most of it.

I've been using a microwave for many, many years now, and I'm still okay. I haven't seen any research that shows any reason to stop using the microwave.

And you know, even if I stop using the microwave today, I'll still eventually die. Probably in about the same time frame as if I DIDN'T stop using the microwave. Maybe even from cancer.

Life's a risk, with a guaranteed outcome of death, no matter how you cook dinner!

Michelle T

I'm not sure if it causes cancer. If I re-heat things for the boys, I only use glass. I don't use the microwave everyday and no one ever stands in front of it while it's on. I don't think I've ever used the microwave to actually "cook" something. We basically only use it to re-heat leftovers or to boil water if we're in a hurry.

I don't have a microwave. I don't consider myself excessively worried about eating microwaved food, but I do have some concerns... And I don't miss having a microwave at all. Haven't had one in about 6 years.

(I do occasionally miss a microwave for heating milk for hot chocolate, lol, but that's about it.)

I voted maybe. I believe it only causes cancer in California though:D

Nah, I doubt that it does. I can't be certain, but everything I've read was not convincing enough to make me give up my microwave.

-------

Oh, and what do you mean that this question upset someone? Did you get a negative rep or response or a bad rating. (Looks like the thread has 4 stars.)

I picked maybe, I'm in no way 100% sure. We don't own a microwave anymore, it went with all my kitchen plastic, it is part of my plan to get my family healthier. No more kitchen plastics, microwaves, processed foods(really hard!!), or tinned foods(except Eden). :001_smile: