Menu

Tiny electric shock from washing machine?

So we have this stupid washing machine that we bought like 4-5 months ago. It is a front loader and the rubber seals/boots keep ripping. They replaced one in June and now that one is ripping up. We are in the process of fighting with the appliance store over this, so I'm really stressed out today. Earlier I took some clothes out of the washer and put them in the drying. I stuck my arm inside the drum because I was trying to look around in there for damage. I felt I slight prick on my right arm like a needle poke or a bite. Stupidly I felt around in there a bit after that with both hands and I did feel a bit of a tingliness. Is that an electric shock? What would be causing this and would that small of a shock hurt someone. This was like over an hour ago. I can feel a tiny bit of soreness where the prick was but other than that I think I'm fine except for the fact I feel sick from stress. I did unplug the washer for now. This has been such a frustrating summer all of our appliances that use water have died and our plumbing went bad.:glare:

My dh is an electrician and is home today. He suggests you stop using the machine and unplug it. He feels the inner drum may not be grounded properly. What you describe sounds like an electric shock. If somehow water is getting into the mechanism that could cause a possible short. The electricity from an appliance is enough to hurt or possibly kill.

Call the appliance store, tell them it shocked you and they need to make it safe or replace it or you will be going to the BBB.

My dh is an electrician and is home today. He suggests you stop using the machine and unplug it. He feels the inner drum may not be grounded properly. What you describe sounds like an electric shock. If somehow water is getting into the mechanism that could cause a possible short. The electricity from an appliance is enough to hurt or possibly kill.

Call the appliance store, tell them it shocked you and they need to make it safe or replace it or you will be going to the BBB.

Thank You for the reply, so you don't think the tiny shock I recieved would have hurt me do you?

I'm sorry you're having problems. After having our front loader for 4 years, 3 repairs, and a fourth problem of the COMPUTER going out, we got a used top loading Maytag, an older model without a computer. It would have cost us $400 to get a new computer for the front loader.

I hope you have better luck.

Thank You for the reply, so you don't think the tiny shock I recieved would have hurt me do you?

If you have not suffered any more ill effects from the shock you received with an hour then you will not have anymore. A severe shock can incapacitate/kill you immediately. Rarely, a shock can disrupt the rhythm of the heart in a way that a person could collapse within an hour or less of the initial shock. So if an hour has passed you should be fine.

Dh feels it is more likely the machine rather than the outlet. You said the seals/boots keep ripping. So he feels water is getting into the mechanism. The drum is seperate from the outer shell which is why you did not feel a shock when you touched the outer part of the machine. But he is speculating the current is flowing through the drum because of a possible short due to water leaking into the electronic parts of the machine. A problem with the outlet is possible, but he feels the more likely problem is with the machine.

If you have not suffered any more ill effects from the shock you received with an hour then you will not have anymore. A severe shock can incapacitate/kill you immediately. Rarely, a shock can disrupt the rhythm of the heart in a way that a person could collapse within an hour or less of the initial shock. So if an hour has passed you should be fine.

Dh feels it is more likely the machine rather than the outlet. You said the seals/boots keep ripping. So he feels water is getting into the mechanism. The drum is seperate from the outer shell which is why you did not feel a shock when you touched the outer part of the machine. But he is speculating the current is flowing through the drum because of a possible short due to water leaking into the electronic parts of the machine. A problem with the outlet is possible, but he feels the more likely problem is with the machine.

Thanks again. I will tell my dh what you said. The shock was like 2 hrs ago now.;) I realy hope we can get this worked out. I'm so done with appliances.

Edited by twoxcell