Menu

How much money should I plan for airport food?

Ds is going to Haiti with a group. They will have one day in airports each way. How much money would you send for airport meals? He will be in airports in Miami and Seattle (possibly more), I don't have the official itinerary yet.

I spent a lot of time in American airports last winter. I averaged $20 on a travel day for me. I was actually being fairly frugel. When a bottle of water is $4 it adds up quickly. But that was the amount and I made 5 round trips.

But I ate decently--2 meals each way. I bought the biggest water and it lasted the day.

I spent a lot of time in American airports last winter. I averaged $20 on a travel day for me. I was actually being fairly frugel. When a bottle of water is $4 it adds up quickly. But that was the amount and I made 5 round trips.

But I ate decently--2 meals each way. I bought the biggest water and it lasted the day.

Good, I was thinking of sending $50 and some snacks like jerky and cliff bars. I assume they would be fine since they are not a liquid. Yes?

Can he take an empty water bottle and fill it on the other side, or does he have to buy one there?

If he drinks from his own refillable water bottle and packs dry snacks, $10/meal is doable. Sodas, desserts add up. I think $25/day like you have planned is fine.

:iagree: I just traveled recently and found $10 per meal was about average if you refill your own water bottle.

You might want to also play ahead for delays. I know the last time I flew we were delayed overnight. Thankfully I planned with extra diapers and was nursing but one family was upset as they were out of diapers and formula.

Maybe I will send him with $100. $50 to plan to use and a hidden/stashed $50 for emergencies. :001_smile:

I'd definitely send extra or a way to get extra (ATM card) in case of delays. Delays are very common and can be long and expensive food-wise. The last thing you want when you're exhausted and sick of airports is to be hungry too because you don't have cash to get something to eat. Plus at that point if it's getting late at night or you're on a time crunch for some reason you might have restricted options and have to pay more to get food.

We usually budget $20-30/person/day for the adults. Airport food is crazy expensive.

Definitely bring an empty water bottle and the dry snacks. If there isn't a fountain after security go to a bar or a not-too-busy looking restaurant and ask them to fill it up. I've never had a problem with them doing this for free, as long as the restaurant doesn't have a line of paying customers that they need to be dealing with. If you are eating at a restaurant or getting food from a takeaway place, I'd have them fill it up there since you're giving them your business.

ETA, you can pack him anything that is not a liquid or a gel. We've traveled with sandwiches or wraps quite a few times. However the food does get soggy and when you're dealing with all the other yuck that air travel brings, there is something nice about a fresh meal.

Edited by AdventureMoms

Miami is expensive, but the best place to eat there for less and amazing food is La Carreta. They have several large, cafeteria-style restaurants in the airport and have amazing beans, rice and other warm food. I would say $20 if you are going to buy any water or snacks. I usually pack all my food on my trips, unless I'm going through Miami. :)

Avoid kiosks, even the bottled water is more expensive at them instead of the restaurants.