Menu

Times Tables helps

intp4yhwh

Originally was looking to buy "Times Tales," but recently was made aware of the books "Teach Your Child the Multiplication Tables: Fast, Fun & Easy with Dazzling Patterns, Grids & Tricks!" and "Times Tables the Fun Way". All three seem to follow the same principals.

Can anyone comment on them - maybe what you liked or didn't like about each one? Right now I seem to be leaning towards "Times Tables the Fun Way."

I used Memorize in Minutes with my very visual son. it uses images like 'shoe time shot = floor' for 2x2=4, with silly stories to go with them. it helped a lot, and he liked the silly stories, but he still forgot them every year.

my younger one had no interest in it at all - but he has an easier time with math and with memorization

Well, we're not to learning multiplication quite yet, but I bought Times Tales. While I really like it, it does NOT cover all the multiplication facts. I think for that reason, I'd opt to go (if I had to do it over) with Multiplication the Fun Way. My friend had great success with using that with her dyslexic son.

Best to you!

Paula

Times Tales works wonders for us. We use the old flip book, not the DVD, and I find it easy to use.

2's are easy because they are the doubles facts.

you have to teach 3's, 4's and 5's yourself. We write them on the board, and chant them 10 times per day, erasing one after the first week, per day, and then chanting them without the answer. Using this method, my visual spatial son took about 5 months to learn the 3's, 4's and 5's and my daughter took about a month.

The rest is covered by Times Tales, and it's extremely easy and fun. The directions are clear, and the method makes sense, and the kids like it. :)

After that you just review using worksheets or flashcards. I wish that TImes Tales taught the 3's, 4's and 5's for my son because it was very very hard for him to memorize them the traditional way. That's my only caveat.

• 5 weeks later...