Menu

Suggestions for 2nd grade (LA & Math)

SS in MD

Hi all!

You think I'd have this figured out by now, but still confused as to what to try for Lang Arts for my 2nd grader who has learning delays. I need a gentle approach and she has a hard time sitting still and listening (that's why I didn't try FLL) For 1st grade we usd MFW 1st grade which went OK, she needed more review, and we still working through it, though almost done! Any suggestions for a good LA program that is gentle, thorough, interesting(?), color may be a benefit (though could be distracting... I'm not sure about this!), also good amount of review... help!

Also, need some suggestions for Math. This year for 1st grade We used MUS Primer, and some topics were confusing for her especially place value, using the rods for telling time etc. I'm not sure I should continue with MUS, I might need something less abstract? I've looked at RightStart and I actually tried RS with my older daughter, though I loved the abacus idea and using games as re-inforcement, it really took too long to teacher and play the games (I'm homeschooling 3 other dc, along with a very active toddler!). So, I have the game cards and we play those occassionally. So, any suggestions for Math?? I need something with review and an incremental approach.

THanks so much for your help!!

Hi all!

You think I'd have this figured out by now, but still confused as to what to try for Lang Arts for my 2nd grader who has learning delays. I need a gentle approach and she has a hard time sitting still and listening (that's why I didn't try FLL) For 1st grade we usd MFW 1st grade which went OK, she needed more review, and we still working through it, though almost done! Any suggestions for a good LA program that is gentle, thorough, interesting(?), color may be a benefit (though could be distracting... I'm not sure about this!), also good amount of review... help!

Also, need some suggestions for Math. This year for 1st grade We used MUS Primer, and some topics were confusing for her especially place value, using the rods for telling time etc. I'm not sure I should continue with MUS, I might need something less abstract? I've looked at RightStart and I actually tried RS with my older daughter, though I loved the abacus idea and using games as re-inforcement, it really took too long to teacher and play the games (I'm homeschooling 3 other dc, along with a very active toddler!). So, I have the game cards and we play those occassionally. So, any suggestions for Math?? I need something with review and an incremental approach.

THanks so much for your help!!

My 2nd grader is using Serl's Primary Language Lessons, we have the color version. He loves it, and that's saying a lot for him who is always resistant to anything not his idea. It's gentle, thorough, and interesting. Review is kind of there, in that you will repeat picture study or narration, for example, many times in different ways throughout the book, and you could build in your own specific review if you felt you needed it, by repeating some of the lessons. However, if you want grammar you won't find a lot of it in there, and it is mostly done orally like FLL, we think it's much more interesting though. (We had tried FLL previously and ended up dropping it).

Review and an incremental approach for math makes me think of Horizons.

I need something with review and an incremental approach.

I am looking at CLE math, but I haven't used it yet. I like the way that Horizons works, but by 2nd grade there are a lot of problems on a page. My dd feels overwhelmed with all of the color and so many problems on a page. I am hoping that CLE will be a better fit. There are a few people on here who love CLE math so maybe someone who has actually used it will chime in with their experience.

Jan

Learning Language Arts Through Literature is a gentle approach to LA. It is all inclusive: spelling, phonics (1st and 2nd), grammar, reading. Simple, straighforward lessons. Little teacher prep. PLL is also a good choice.

For math...I'm not sure what to recommend but we are starting Singapore w/ my ds7 after Saxon bombed and he wasn't crazy about MUS either. Singapore is very colorful and has easy, short lessons. MAnipulative based in early grades, moving to more abstract in later years.

I want to second Learning Language Arts Through Literature. My ds struggles a lot in LA and this curr. has been wonderful for him. Gentle, but, well-structured and thought out. You can tailor it to your dd's needs by leaving out things you know might frustrate her. Here is where you can go to get information and look at sample lessons.

Hope this helps!