Menu

Visual Latin users...a few ?'s

Alison in KY

I'm just getting started with VL with my oldest. I really like the teaching style he has. I read somewhere that his emphasis is on reading the Latin, and not doing vocab. memorization. Can't remember where I got that from. I think he says do 2 lessons a week, but I've seen where others are stretching the A, B, and C pages out over 3 days.

I'd love to get some feedback on how you schedule VL in your day (do you do it all at once, spread it out, etc). Also, do you make vocab. cards up with the words and go over them every day? We did Latina Christina 1 last year with a co-op and used our vocab cards daily. As much as I didn't like doing it, I think it really helped learn the new words. IF you don't study the vocab. words, how is it working for you to just watch the videos and do the worksheets? Anything else I've left out?

Thank!

I'm just getting started with VL with my oldest. I really like the teaching style he has. I read somewhere that his emphasis is on reading the Latin, and not doing vocab. memorization. Can't remember where I got that from. I think he says do 2 lessons a week, but I've seen where others are stretching the A, B, and C pages out over 3 days.

I'd love to get some feedback on how you schedule VL in your day (do you do it all at once, spread it out, etc). Also, do you make vocab. cards up with the words and go over them every day? We did Latina Christina 1 last year with a co-op and used our vocab cards daily. As much as I didn't like doing it, I think it really helped learn the new words. IF you don't study the vocab. words, how is it working for you to just watch the videos and do the worksheets? Anything else I've left out?

Thank!

My oldest ds has been using Visual Latin at his own pace for the last year and he loves it. This is the first latin program that has stuck in this house. I don't have to push ds to do his latin. He does about one lesson a week, and uses Quizlet to work on the vocabluary. As he has gotten further along in the program, the vocabulary has increased and he works toward mastery in the vocabulary.

I was as Spanish major and I have to say, I don't know how you could study any foreign language and not study the vocabuary consistently. If you don't really know the vocabuary, you will most certainly get to a point where the student cannot progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two using the program right now; dd9\4th, and dd14\9th. They each use it differently.

Dd9 is using it as her main Latin program, doing one lesson a week. She also has been using the Latin readers that you can download from free from the VL website, writing her own sentences using the vocabulary each week (which, along with the translation, is more than sufficient for vocab memorization at this point), and using Headventure Land several times a week. Once she hits lesson 18 we will start using Lingua Latina and the worksheets, also provided on the VL website.

Dd14 is using VL as a supplement to Henle Latin. She watches the lessons that correspond with her Henle lesson to further her understanding of the grammar. Some weeks she will watch a lesson and some she won't. So far she has known all the vocab so we haven't had to worry about memorizing it. However, when she runs across vocab she doesn't know she has her own system for memorizing it. I think she is still using Quizlet...I'm not sure to be honest, but everytime I quiz her she blows through it so I can assume she is keeping up with it.:tongue_smilie:

Can you tell me how you use the LL? I bought it, but I don't know quite how to use it along with the VL.

Did you download the free schedule from VL that shows what chapter in LL to read with each lesson of VL? Did you purchase the workbook to go with the LL Reader? I haven't started it yet as we aren't to the lesson Dwane recommends getting to before starting LL ( I said in my pp that it was 18 , but it is actually 17). I plan on just following the schedule he has provided.