Menu

Help! My hair is falling out due to dieting!

Make sure your iron levels are good and you're getting enough protein. You may want to ask your doctor to test your ferritin levels, thyroid, hormone levels, B vitamins. I went through this after a GI illness and it was not fun. Hang in there, but definitely get it checked out.

Stop that diet? It doesn't sound too healthy if it's making your hair fall out. :grouphug:

:iagree:

What diet are you on and what does your daily food intake look like? That might help us give you more information about what you're missing. It sounds to me like you are in need of some major nutrients.

Guest Prakash

Mine is too. I am eating the same way as I always have. I am taking in more veggies than I use to and started the broth from GAPS. I am just making a lot more soups from chicken broth. I am assuming the "stress" of my diet change is causing the hair loss. Any other ideas? I am now eating nuts like crazy too...a handful every snack time and before bed. Almonds & walnuts.

Mine is too. I am eating the same way as I always have. I am taking in more veggies than I use to and started the broth from GAPS. I am just making a lot more soups from chicken broth. I am assuming the "stress" of my diet change is causing the hair loss. Any other ideas? I am now eating nuts like crazy too...a handful every snack time and before bed. Almonds & walnuts.

Hormones, thyroid, iron. Those are the biggies for hair loss--at least according to my gp who had me tested for those.

I'm usually just a lurker here, but I thought I'd share that I've lost hair due to weight loss twice, once with low calorie dieting and once with low carb. In both cases, I was eating a healthy level of protein and other nutrients.

I've read that this can happen when the body perceives the weight loss as stress, and it usually begins two or three months into the weight loss, and stops several months after. This has been my experience as well, and my hair grew back both times without any special treatment.

I'm betting your diet has really restricted carbs. When I realized I had a blood sugar problem, I dropped the carbs from my diet, lost a lot of weight, and a ton of my hair fell out. It's called telogen effluvium and you can read all about it here: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/effluviums. Nioxin did help my situation, but time is really what it takes for things to return to normal. :grouphug: It's not a permanent condition and really nothing to worry about (easier said than done - I know).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Prakash

Thank you for you responses. I believe to be effected by gluten, maybe have the autoimmune disease celiacs. I crave carbs and sugar when I pop a corn chip or potato in my mouth. I really have changed my diet over night from binging on carbs and sweets to zero. I'm now constantly shedding. I got my test results and I'm low in Vitamin D only according to my OBGYN. My chiropractor did blood work and concerned I'm insulin resistant. So I'm definately sticking with my current diet & staying away from sugar & carbs.

I'll see what happens in a couple more months.