Menu

Planning Frustration

Kaleidoscope

I just spent forever planning out everything and entering it into HST. Now I'm thinking of trashing it all and going back to paper plans.

UGH.

I'm trying to force myself to use something more formal because I think I'll want it eventually but I'm so frustrated and I can't even put my finger on what it is I'm not happy with.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated but I know how you feel. You put so much energy into something new and it just doesn't work out. I always see sales this time of year for online or electronic planners. I tried the free version of homeschool tracker and did well for about 3 weeks. I just can't sit at a computer screen and make school plans. I need plenty of room to spread out all my books (since most of what we use isn't "do the next thing") and go through everything. I feel paper planning is in my blood and I know every time I'm tempted to try the fancy computer planners I remind myself of the frustration ahead.

I get that. I have tried everything only to realize that less is more. I'm back to old pen and paper. I have homeschool tracker plus, have used the well planned day planners. I even tried the well planned day online. I was leaning on trying the ultimate homeschool planner by Apolgia this year, but I resisted. Just pen and paper this year.

I think what messes me up is the sticking a date on the plans. I want to plan out all my curriculum and schedule it over 150 days. I do not want to assign a date to it though. I just want 150 planned days of school. I want to pick up day 1 and do everything on the list and then move to day 2... and if we hit day 54 and end up taking a week off before we do day 55 who cares?

So in HST I just want everything I've numbered as day 1 to print out onto the same checklist without every assigning it into a calendar.

It's the calendar that makes it all fall apart for me.

I'm trying to schedule it now so I can generate the reports and then just ignore the dates. Not sure if I can do it though.

If this fails it's back to pen and paper. And post-it notes... I love post its!

I think what messes me up is the sticking a date on the plans. I want to plan out all my curriculum and schedule it over 150 days. I do not want to assign a date to it though. I just want 150 planned days of school. I want to pick up day 1 and do everything on the list and then move to day 2... and if we hit day 54 and end up taking a week off before we do day 55 who cares?

So in HST I just want everything I've numbered as day 1 to print out onto the same checklist without every assigning it into a calendar.

It's the calendar that makes it all fall apart for me.

I'm trying to schedule it now so I can generate the reports and then just ignore the dates. Not sure if I can do it though.

If this fails it's back to pen and paper. And post-it notes... I love post its!

I don't like date plans, either. I just plan it all out and follow the schedule, on the day we get to it. I know I'm still getting the curriculum in, but don't feel stifled or frustrated if I don't get it done on a certain day.