Menu

Paypal says I've reached my spending limit???

I haven't used Paypal in awhile. My last login date was 12/2011. Just tonight I just added a credit card so I could pay for some homeschool activities. It gave the OPTION of adding a checking account but I never would. I just updated our CC information.

I would NOT link my checking account. I love the protection with CC's.

I tried to buy something on Etsy for $23 total, and it said I had reached my limit. I then logged into Paypal directly because I never give info unless I'm on the direct site. I'm not going to give my bank account info but just had no idea why it's even saying this now after all these years.

Absolutely do not do anything of the kind, unless you want your bank account cleaned out. That is a SCAM and it is not from Paypal. I get them too and I don't even have a Paypal account, they're just phishing, hoping you'll be dumb enough to fall for it.

No, my transactions won't go through when I try to make a purchase. The actual Paypal website is saying this. I'm not just going by an email.

No, my transactions won't go through when I try to make a purchase. The actual Paypal website is saying this. I'm not just going by an email.

It's time to get on the phone and speak to someone directly. I have several times whenever I had uneasiness. It's the best way to sort out what is really happening, why and how to resolve it.

Call and tell them you would prefer to be verified through the USPS. I know they can send a letter and have you verify receipt through a code on the website. Your other option is to go to your bank and open a little savings account, input the info to verify and then close. Ask me how many times I have done that after a move lol. It gets done what I need done on Paypal (must be verified to get the Paypal debit card and since I have clients that pay through Paypal it is necessary) and protects my actual bank account from any issues.

I've hand a weird issue a couple of times with paypal and a particular site - the site ended up having to clear their stored paypal information of mine. Then I can use paypal like normal. I don't know what the deal is, but maybe it is something like that?

DH works for PayPal. I asked him about this real quick. He says it's legite, but he had a hard time explaining why in normal people language in under a minute, which is how much time I had mid bedtime. Generally speaking, though, credit transactions cost money, so they do everything they can to try to get you to use your checking account instead.

I've had this happen to me.

I thought the same as you- there's NO way I could have reached my spending limit. Turns out I was wrong. :w00t: :willy_nilly: :o I only use it to buy books and curriculum. Apparently I have a lot of both. :svengo:

I was able to go through my transactions and verify that I had spent so much, so in my case I know it wasn't a scam. Really annoying, but not a scam.

What I ended up doing was opening up another PayPal account under my dh's name. :tongue_smilie: Now I'm a lot more careful to only use PayPal when I absolutely have to so I save it only for sites that only take PP or when I really can't us a cc. I really don't want my bank account liked to PP.

okay - two possibilities. If your paypal account is linked to a checking account, the lift the limit. You can still use a credit card to pay for things. go to the paypal site, and see if it wants you to link a checking account. I opened a checking account just for me to link to. I only keep $100 in it.

OR . . . . . a phishing scam. if your paypal account is already linked to a checking account, I'd assume it is a scam.

in any event, NEVER click on the link in an e-mail. (just in case it is a phishing scam.) go directly to the site and scroll/search through that way.

I have always opened up a checking account specifically for Paypal and would keep $10 in it so a lot of money couldn't get stolen if it so happened that way. I moved, that account is still linked and the checking account is closed. So you could open a bank account just for Paypal, get it verified and then close it if you feel uncomfortable having it linked.

DH works for PayPal. I asked him about this real quick. He says it's legite, but he had a hard time explaining why in normal people language in under a minute, which is how much time I had mid bedtime. Generally speaking, though, credit transactions cost money, so they do everything they can to try to get you to use your checking account instead.

Although one could keep on using credit cards -- I guess it's just that the bank acct is the default?

Another option is online bank accounts (a legitimate one, not a scam!) with no fees -- that way it wouldn't be a big hassle to open it or cost you anything.

I have a PayPal CC, and there is a "Pending" transactions limit.

Mine was set to $400 at first (I didn't even realize it was there), and now that I have it set to $1,000, I haven't reached that "spending" limit.

The limit was regarding transactions which were being processed.

• When you login to PayPal, click the "PayPal Debit Mastercard" link at the right (in the "My account tools" window.)
  • Click the "Change" link at the right in the "Backup payment settings" window
  • If you have no pending transactions, you can edit your maximum backup limit to a higher amount.

If there are pending transactions, you have to wait until they're all completed. That took forever for me, because I use my PayPal card for everything! :D

Edited by oasis