Menu

Is the Ted Dekker "Circle" series less "dark" than his other books?

I only read one of his very early books and found it quite dark. I can tell by the pictures on more recent ones that they may be dark too.

But I think I read somewhere that the "Circle" series is more allegorical, kind of reminiscent of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series. Is this correct, would you say?

Yes! Well, I read his Circle trilogy a few years back and really enjoyed it. This was before Green was published, I never did read that one. So, about a year ago, I read Immanuel's Veins, thinking it would be as good as the Circle trilogy. I hated it! It was so dark and twisted, I really felt any redeeming message was lost. I probably won't read any more of his books.

The Circle Trilogy is great! Much less dark than many of Dekker's other books, EXCEPT the Green one. Don't read it! I really LOVED the trilogy until I read Green. It TOTALLY ruins the trilogy (which isn't even a trilogy if you include Green). The story is absolutely complete without it, and it is a STUPID, STUPID book and really more dark than the anything in the rest of the series. Ugg...it makes me mad just thinking about it, and it's been 3 years since I read the series! :lol:

He actually has a few other books that aren't dark, like The Blessed Child, and even some of his darker books aren't too bad, but some are just downright weird. I agree with the above poster...they really lose any kind of message just because they are gruesome.

Edited by mandymom

I'm reading the fourth book and it's been great! It's not dark at all and a very interesting premise. I'm really hoping this last book (Green) ties up the many loose ends.

That's because you haven't finished it (so it sounds). It gets really stupid, almost like he is grasping at straws to explain things.

That's because you haven't finished it (so it sounds). It gets really stupid, almost like he is grasping at straws to explain things.

Did you read the new version of the Green book? He rereleased it. The version I have has both endings and I'm curious about the difference. I'll read both when I get that far.

Did you read the new version of the Green book? He rereleased it. The version I have has both endings and I'm curious about the difference. I'll read both when I get that far.

I read it when it first came out. I didn't even know he had rereleased it. I will have to look it up now. The new ending can't be any worse than the original. :001_smile: