Menu

13 yo's rant

My 13 yo came home yesterday and asked/ranted, "Why do grown ups ask me if I like to text? That's the weirdest most unanswerable question. I mean, texting is not a hobby. You don't text as an activity separate from wanting or needing to talk to someone! Why do they ask that?"

I'll add that she doesn't own a phone, and has not been asked about texting as a pointed way to get her to stop texting.

Edited by rieshy

I think it is because the adults don't know what to say to young people but want to be able to talk with them. Older adults especially seem to feel disconnected from younger people but want to establish some sort of connection. So, since the adults may not really understand texting, they have heard about it on the news or read about it, and so they pick this tidbit to discuss because they think it is relevent or because they are interested.

Same reason adults ask kids if they like school, what grade they are in, what their favorite subject is, etc. The adult is trying to initiate a conversation.

Because grownups see or hear stories about teens doing nothing but texting. They hear that teens' communications skills are dying because of texting. Stories about boyfriend and girlfriend texting each other as they sit side by side.

So, they see a teen, they ask about texting.

My 13 yo came home yesterday and asked/ranted, "Why do grown ups ask me if I like to text? That's the weirdest most unanswerable question. I mean, texting is not a hobby. You don't text as an activity separate from wanting or needing to talk to someone! Why do they ask that?"

I'll add that she doesn't own a phone, and has not been asked about texting as a pointed way to get her to stop texting.

Love it! :D